Potatoes vs. Sweet Potatoes and Fruit Questions

KarenU

I'm new to W30 and very excited to figure out what is bothering my internal systems and to get off sugar!  Some specific questions I have:  How does the body process sweet potatoes vs. potatoes?  How much potato or sweet potato is too much?  For example, along with protein and other veggies, I had potatoes roasted with olive oil for breakfast and for lunch - is that too much?  For purposes of W30, is it considered a vegetable even though it's starchy?

And then there's fruit.  Not much in the book about fruit except to have a limited amount and not to eat as a snack.  What is limited, once a day, twice a day, every other day...?  Any particular fruits that are better than others for W30?

Thank you in advance for any guidence.

Hi @KarenU, I believe the general guidance for the quantity of starchy vegetables like potato/sweet potato is to have a fist-sized serving once a day. I think the ideal is said to have the starchy vegetable with your dinner. 

I'm not sure on your other questions!

• Moderators
1 hour ago, KarenU said:

I'm new to W30 and very excited to figure out what is bothering my internal systems and to get off sugar!  Some specific questions I have:  How does the body process sweet potatoes vs. potatoes?  How much potato or sweet potato is too much?  For example, along with protein and other veggies, I had potatoes roasted with olive oil for breakfast and for lunch - is that too much?  For purposes of W30, is it considered a vegetable even though it's starchy?

And then there's fruit.  Not much in the book about fruit except to have a limited amount and not to eat as a snack.  What is limited, once a day, twice a day, every other day...?  Any particular fruits that are better than others for W30?

Thank you in advance for any guidence.

The recommendation for starchy carbs is at least a fist sized serving each day and then increase if you are very active, a person on or near their period, a person with mild to moderate mood disorders.  You can do research on how the body processes sweet potatoes vs potato to get more detailed information on that - we generally don't have that type of scientific information handy.

Fruit is recommended to be 0-2 fist sized servings each day eaten with meals, not as a snack.  Many people don't eat fruit on the program because they find it keeps their sugar dragon alive and all nutrients in fruit can be found in greater quantities in veggies.  Fruit is fruit so we don't give recommendations on better or worse fruit, that's a personal choice altho obviously lower sugar fruit like berries are going to impact your blood sugar differently than higher sugar fruit like bananas and grapes.

Archived