Personalised reintroduction (feedback welcome)

KayB

Hi folks,

Tomorrow will be my day 30 and I have been reading foodfreedom forever and thinking about my reintroduction. I'm gonna do a fast track one since I am leaving for a vacation in about 10 days time. So not to shock my system to much I need to try some things. On the other hand, I'm not known for going overboard on vacations. I'll be mostly hiking in central Germany. But still I do have limited time on one hand, and want to test out some things seperately on the other...

So I have been thinking: I want to really try out legumes first, so peanutbutter, hummus and some green peas are scheduled for friday. I'm not expecting any issues from them.
Saturday and Sunday will be compliant, although I want to test out soy seperately so I'll do that either saturday or sunday in the form of some vegetarian thingies.

Next of the things I really want to add into my diet is dairy on monday. I want to first try out fermented dairy, buttermilk, yoghurt, skyr and maybe some good blue cheese (I do miss my stilton). I expect that they will not give me as much trouble as unfermented dairy. I'll take out regular old milk and my wheyshakes and try them on tuesday and wednesday.

What's left then are the grains and glutencontaining alcohol (i don't like glutenfree alcoholsources really). I'm mostly paleo-ish anyways so grains are not much missed in my diet (except beer, I do enjoy about 3-4 beers per week, so not so much but still). I mostly need to reintroduce grains because I'll be eating them on vacation: Hello german "kuchen", "weizenbeer" and "semmel" (lovely crispy breadrolls).... So I mostly want to allow them in gently to get my body used to them, not so much as to keep eating them afterwards but just to avoid a shock-effect. By then it's thursday and I'm leaving sunday. So what to do, just eat a bit of wheaty stuff each day and have a beer to top it off?

Am I forgetting something? I feel like I'm forgetting something...

• Administrators

Ya, unfortunately you might be setting yourself up for a bit of a shock based on your outlined plan

If I were you I would introduce the things you think are going to mess you up the most. And then leave 2-3 days in between. Then you could potentially reintroduce the less troublesome ones while on vacay (hummus or legumes etc). 

I would likely not do what you are planning above because written out like this it's:

Your Plan
Friday: peanut butter, hummus and some green peas
Saturday: Whole30
Sunday: soy
Monday: fermented dairy
Tuesday & Wednesday: unfermented dairy
Thursday: beer/wheat

There are no significant rest days for your system in here. Tread carefully if you go forward this way.

Thank you for your input...

I'm still doubting how to procede though: I can live fine without most "I think they will be problematic" things, also on vacation, so I actually want to try out the less suspect things more than the "almost guaranteed to act up". If I can postpone some, I'd postpone soy and unfermented dairy until after. Also with glutenfree grains like quinoa and rice, I rarely eat them as part of my regular routine anyways. So then I'd have:

Legumes friday
weekend: W30
Monday dairy including wheyprotein (I do want that one back in)
tuesday and wednesday W30
Thursday: gluten and grains including a nice beer
friday and saturday: W30

What are the things you're most likely to eat on you holiday? ID those things and test them, eat as well as you can the rest of the time on holiday and worry about the rest when you get back. For me, that'd be beer (I'm so with you on that one!), gluten free crackers and hummous. Sadly, I know 2 out of those 3 don't agree with me, and yet I'd eat them anyway, knowing the consequences aren't going to ruin my holiday.

43 minutes ago, GoJo09 said:

What are the things you're most likely to eat on you holiday? ID those things and test them, eat as well as you can the rest of the time on holiday and worry about the rest when you get back.

Well... Gluten and grains is in everything, even if I often just do fruits and eggs at the breakfastbuffet. And I will want me a nice fresh german beer after a long hike. I really want to reintroduce my whey and dairy too, since I'm wanting another source of protein other than meat fish and eggs. The rest I rarely eat anyways. Legumes, I normally plonk in with the vegetables though so I want to add them in for variation.

2 hours ago, Kat warriorlifestylenl said:

Well... Gluten and grains is in everything, even if I often just do fruits and eggs at the breakfastbuffet. And I will want me a nice fresh german beer after a long hike. I really want to reintroduce my whey and dairy too, since I'm wanting another source of protein other than meat fish and eggs. The rest I rarely eat anyways. Legumes, I normally plonk in with the vegetables though so I want to add them in for variation.

But will you eat legumes while you're on holiday? If not, don't bother with that reintro right now. And will you be having whey protein shakes while you're away? Really, sugar, gluten and beer would be the ones I'd focus on, and maybe dairy if that's your jam (actually, definitely dairy - rolls with fresh butter? Yes, please!), because they're the foods you'll be eating when you're away. Then get home, do another week or 10 days or so of strict Whole 30 and try introducing the other things - won't be perfect, but it'll still give you information.

I expect to encounter legumes on vacation: Green peas are often used sides in restaurants and beans and lentils are often added to saladbowls and things. In Europe, we don't customize orders like people in the US might be used to btw. Some restaurants will happily oblige you, others are just "no changed made to set menu". And don't forget the soy-oil used in professional kitchens. I expect I might be able to skip reintroducing the legumes and if they pop up in my week, well than it will just be a field-trail.

And yes, I am a freak that takes her whey with her LOL... I normally eat breakfast very early and work out in the morning. I naturally wake up, well rested, at around 5.30 am. Restaurant breakfasts are almost like meal 2 for me timewise. So I'll be taking my proteins with me to maintain a normal nutritional rhythm. Having some protein in my system also helps me to stay away from the fresh rolls and butter at the buffet ;)

58 minutes ago, Kat warriorlifestylenl said:

I expect to encounter legumes on vacation: Green peas are often used sides in restaurants and beans and lentils are often added to saladbowls and things. In Europe, we don't customize orders like people in the US might be used to btw. Some restaurants will happily oblige you, others are just "no changed made to set menu". And don't forget the soy-oil used in professional kitchens. I expect I might be able to skip reintroducing the legumes and if they pop up in my week, well than it will just be a field-trail.

I'm in South Africa, man! They don't even know what gluten is half the time! I have not eaten out on my Whole 30 as it's just not worth the effort! One place (pre-Whole 30) I asked for fish grilled, with no batter. The waiter wrote down no butter. OK, no problem, my accent is very different (I'm from New Zealand). Asked for the fish with no flour on it. He wrote down no flower. OK, maybe that's just a spelling mistake, but to be clear, asked for NOTHING on the fish. The fish came out with a very thin flour coating! (But no flowers on the plate, so that's something.) It was kind of hilarious, in a super irritating way. (The fish went back and a new piece came out with no coating. About 10 minutes after everyone else had eaten.)

Archived