Meal Portioning

annael

hello, i started on June, the 1st and being my first time ever i am still adjusting to portions...with salad greens i usually need to have more than 3 cups, is it ok? and abt eggs, is it ok to have sometime only egg whites? i like to prepare some omelette with one whole egg and 5/6 egg whites. and do we need to have a bit of starchy veg in every meal?

thx

thx for the quick reply ladyshanny! i figured out that if i make an omelette with 3/4 eggs i feel full while i am eating, i cant finish it and then after a couple of hrs i am hungry again. this doesnt happen when i use some egg whites, i dont know why...

another question: i am making my own coconut milk kefir, is there a limitation for this probiotic? i usually have a sip in the morning and sometimes a sip before bed (i usually hv dinner around 6.30) and i go to bed around 10. how shall i calculate it? thx

On 8/18/2015 at 10:29 PM, jmcbn said:

Personally I don't really count the fat in egg yolks unless it's pre or post WO, and I always add an additional fat source to my meals regardless of how fatty the protein is.

It's honestly hard to go overboard on good fats.

is it ok in pre WO having a raw egg? and eventually pls could you indicate how to eat pre or post WO? usually post WO for me it is breakfast time (i need to lose weight so i stick to 3 meals per day, eventually a small bite of protein pre WO)

thx

• Administrators
35 minutes ago, annael said:

thx for the quick reply ladyshanny! i figured out that if i make an omelette with 3/4 eggs i feel full while i am eating, i cant finish it and then after a couple of hrs i am hungry again. this doesnt happen when i use some egg whites, i dont know why...

another question: i am making my own coconut milk kefir, is there a limitation for this probiotic? i usually have a sip in the morning and sometimes a sip before bed (i usually hv dinner around 6.30) and i go to bed around 10. how shall i calculate it? thx

What fats are you adding when you are eating your breakfast? 

There is no limit to probiotics.

• Administrators
26 minutes ago, annael said:

is it ok in pre WO having a raw egg? and eventually pls could you indicate how to eat pre or post WO? usually post WO for me it is breakfast time (i need to lose weight so i stick to 3 meals per day, eventually a small bite of protein pre WO)

thx

Pre workout egg would be fine. Raw or cooked I guess is your choice. 

Pre and post workout food are in addition to your regular meals. You may not need PRE workout but if you are exercising at a level where you are depleting your body, you should be replenishing post workout (lean protein and starchy veggies) in addition to your meals. The pre and post workout food isn't a lot.  A few bites.

2 minutes ago, ladyshanny said:

Pre workout egg would be fine. Raw or cooked I guess is your choice. 

Pre and post workout food are in addition to your regular meals. You may not need PRE workout but if you are exercising at a level where you are depleting your body, you should be replenishing post workout (lean protein and starchy veggies) in addition to your meals. The pre and post workout food isn't a lot.  A few bites.

i cant hv more than 3 meals a day, this is why post WO is my breakfast, (also because i am hungry and a couple of bites will not make the deal!!!!) in terms of time too, breakfast is around 10.30am, lunch 14.30 and dinner 6.30, going to bed around 10pm max

1 hour ago, annael said:

hello, i started on June, the 1st and being my first time ever i am still adjusting to portions...with salad greens i usually need to have more than 3 cups, is it ok? and abt eggs, is it ok to have sometime only egg whites? i like to prepare some omelette with one whole egg and 5/6 egg whites. and do we need to have a bit of starchy veg in every meal?

thx

Pretty much, eat as much salad greens as you want. It takes a lot of greens to add up to a decent amount of veg. Think of cooking down spinach. You start with heaps and heaps of spinach but as it cooks, it turns into a teeny amount on your plate. Same thing happens when you chew salad greens. It shrinks down to nothing. 

Eat the whole egg. The overwhelming majority of the good stuff in eggs is in the yolk. 

You don't need starchy veg at every meal. You can play around with how much starchy veg you need in your daily meals :) 

10 minutes ago, annael said:

i cant hv more than 3 meals a day, this is why post WO is my breakfast, (also because i am hungry and a couple of bites will not make the deal!!!!) in terms of time too, breakfast is around 10.30am, lunch 14.30 and dinner 6.30, going to bed around 10pm max

Pre and post workout are not "meals". They're meant to be a couple bites of something, and then you have your next meal whenever you have your next meal. 

So if you exercise in the morning and you wake up at 7am, at 7:15am before you workout you have one egg (protein and fat). Then you workout for an hour and at 8:30am, you have a couple bites of chicken breast and maybe a couple bites of sweet potato. Then you go make breakfast and have your breakfast at 9-9:30ish. 

You still need to eat enough when you're trying to lose weight or else your body is going to freak out and stubbornly refuse to let go of that weight. 

• Administrators
14 minutes ago, annael said:

i cant hv more than 3 meals a day,

These sorts of rules are what we want people to learn to turn away from. Some days you will be more hungry than others. Weight loss is a result of hormonal balance and the body feeling safe to drop excess weight. Only ever allowing yourself to eat three meals a day when you may be more hungry, especially on days when you work out vigorously, is not listening to your body.

Hormonal balance is the key. Honestly, it is. 

13 minutes ago, laura_juggles said:

Pre and post workout are not "meals". They're meant to be a couple bites of something, and then you have your next meal whenever you have your next meal. 

So if you exercise in the morning and you wake up at 7am, at 7:15am before you workout you have one egg (protein and fat). Then you workout for an hour and at 8:30am, you have a couple bites of chicken breast and maybe a couple bites of sweet potato. Then you go make breakfast and have your breakfast at 9-9:30ish. 

You still need to eat enough when you're trying to lose weight or else your body is going to freak out and stubbornly refuse to let go of that weight. 

i wake up at 5, after my 1/2 liter of water i hv my shower, 40min yoga, 1/2 cup of coconut kefir, 30 minutes meditation, dogs walk till 7.15/20. raw egg or a bite of dinner left over protein  then swimming pool (and back at 9.30 so i hv breakfast at 10) or cross fit and back 10.30 and hv breakfast 11. after 4 hrs i hv lunch and after 4 hrs hv dinner, that's my 3 meals a day schedule, no time to hv more meals (and no place in the body either :) )

13 minutes ago, ladyshanny said:

These sorts of rules are what we want people to learn to turn away from. Some days you will be more hungry than others. Weight loss is a result of hormonal balance and the body feeling safe to drop excess weight. Only ever allowing yourself to eat three meals a day when you may be more hungry, especially on days when you work out vigorously, is not listening to your body.

Hormonal balance is the key. Honestly, it is. 

to tell u the truth i am not hungry during the day, because my meals are full . i am hungry in the post WO this is why i have a proper breakfast and it did happen that i knew i was going to be away around lunch time, so i packed 1/2 a meal in sort of snack, just to keep me going till i come home for lunch. i believe i am listening to my body, i dont live hunger unheard...

16 hours ago, annael said:

i wake up at 5, after my 1/2 liter of water i hv my shower, 40min yoga, 1/2 cup of coconut kefir, 30 minutes meditation, dogs walk till 7.15/20. raw egg or a bite of dinner left over protein  then swimming pool (and back at 9.30 so i hv breakfast at 10) or cross fit and back 10.30 and hv breakfast 11. after 4 hrs i hv lunch and after 4 hrs hv dinner, that's my 3 meals a day schedule, no time to hv more meals (and no place in the body either :) )

So there's a lot of working out and practically zero food until 5-6 hours after you wake up. That's going to screw up your system like nobody's business. 

As counterintuitive as it seems, you have to eat enough in order to lose weight. And if you're doing over an 2 hours of exercise on those days and improperly fueling your body, it's going to start having a greater impact on your body the longer you continue. After the pool or after CrossFit, have a couple bites of protein and a couple bites of starchy carb *before you go home*. Then go home and have breakfast. 

Try it, before you keep telling us that you have no time. I typically eat my post-workout food in the car. You can eat a slice of chicken breast and drive at the same time. Or walk, if you walk to the gym. 

On 6/7/2018 at 4:06 PM, laura_juggles said:

So there's a lot of working out and practically zero food until 5-6 hours after you wake up. That's going to screw up your system like nobody's business. 

As counterintuitive as it seems, you have to eat enough in order to lose weight. And if you're doing over an 2 hours of exercise on those days and improperly fueling your body, it's going to start having a greater impact on your body the longer you continue. After the pool or after CrossFit, have a couple bites of protein and a couple bites of starchy carb *before you go home*. Then go home and have breakfast. 

Try it, before you keep telling us that you have no time. I typically eat my post-workout food in the car. You can eat a slice of chicken breast and drive at the same time. Or walk, if you walk to the gym. 

well, it takes me 15minutes to be back home, where the breakfast is already prepared (most of the time leftovers from day before)...i have protein and fat before gym or swimming pool (a raw egg or a bite of leftover protein from dinner) and 1/2 to  1 cup of coconut kefir (carb/protein/fat) when i wake up, so basically i hv food...in the car i hv for emergency some "chicken-chips" which i never really eat because in no time i am home where real food is waiting for me (important is to eat within 30 minutes after WO, which i do)

Archived