Reintro Advice Please

Hello all,

I am on day 27 of my first Whole30, and am beginning to happily contemplate the Reintroduction phase. I have two questions that I wonder if someone could help me with.

1) My first day of reintro is also my husband's birthday, which means that my Day 1 is going to involve reintroducing cake. Is such a big hit of refined flour and sugar going to totally screw me up? Would it be better to eat compliant Whole30 stuff that day until the party and then have cake in the evening, or should I have other (less extreme) grains earlier in the day, like whole wheat pasta or something? (Obvs I know cake is not the best food for the first day of reintroduction, but I'm not going to miss my husband's birthday cake!).

2) Aside from Day 1, I'll do the reintro carefully in order to test out the various foods, but honestly I'm not expecting bad reactions to any particular food. My biggest concern post-Whole30 is that I love how my metabolism works now that I'm fat adapted (I didn't even know that term pre-Whole30!) and I really want to keep it that way. However, assuming I don't react badly to them during reintroductions I do want to add some foods back into my diet, including beans, whole grains, and occasional splurges on things like birthday cake or really good pizza. I'd love some guidance as to how to do so while not pushing my body back into its old sugar-burning mode.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Denell

• Administrators

For the first one, cake isn't the best because the cake itself or icing likely has soy in it (if bought) as well as dairy throughout.  As a person who just threw her husband a bday party last night and didnt eat the cake, I have to say it wasn't a big deal at all. ;)

For the fat adaptation, the trick is to continue with the meal template and timing for the most part and not start relying on carbs for the bulk of your meals or for snacks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm so I guess after a totally compliant 30 days I thoroughly screwed up my reintro with a big fat piece of birthday cake (hello gluten, added sugar, and diary!)  and several glasses of champagne (does it matter that it was really good champagne?). Whatevs, it was worth it! Felt crappy the next morning, but by noon I was feeling strong and healthy again. I think my body is working better now, after a successful Whole30, because I think previously I would have felt a hangover longer, but in this case my body worked through it and I felt okay pretty quickly.

I then went back to Whole30 compliance for five days, to work out anything bad that might have been lingering in my system. Yesterday I started a more systematic reintro phase with legumes, and a have to say I've felt awesome yesterday and today.

Does the gluten and diary I had last week invalidate any ongoing reintro efforts? Or can I just continue with a new reintroduction assuming that the cake I had last week was a blip that has been worked out?

• 4 weeks later...

Being relatively new myself, R1D30, I do understand that having cake...you actually added several different food substances. I'm  just thinking of the obvious which is eggs, sugar & flour. You can't separate out which food substance was most critical. Having raised children that were very allergic to foods in their toddler years, I remember after a long period of time, trying to reintroduce...eggs, for example. If hives or sniffles occurred, I knew what was responsible. So I guess we need to isolate foods and ingredients to see our reaction.

Archived