Brand New to Whole30

Sophia Treviño

Today I took a few (literally like 3 small sips) sips of coffee with a creamer I thought was compliant, but at second glance I realized it had monk juice extract. Ugh, I’m SOO frustrated. Day 14 of my second Whole30. I think I got too confident in my label reading... should I start over? I’m so bummed. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

I'm Kim and I just signed up with Whole30 today.  I've got some work to do in my kitchen pantry and I will begin my journey Friday the 13th.   It's a bit overwhelming (do you just start with one recipe and keep going?)  but I'm looking forward to a healthier and happier me.  

I know that it's way past the end of what would have been your Whole30 by now, but if someone finds this post I wanted to respond. Something similar happened to me. On day 9 i had one sip of stevia-sweetened tea by accident! I decided not to start over. Slipping on foods that contain potential allergens (peanuts, wheat, soy) I think could have more of a tangible effect on your results and would be more important to start over for. Slipping on an added sweetener may not have that effect though. There's not a whole lot of research on some of the "healthy" low-cal sweeteners like stevia (as far as I know), so it's hard to say if it's having a physiological effect other than maybe increasing cravings from the sweet taste. But you do eat things containing natural sugar on the Whole30, so I think this would be less of a problem as far as reintroduction goes. Of course, the official line is to start over, but it's probably more realistic to just live and learn. I think a great way to keep morale up is to not start your count over but to consider extending your Whole30 (so you'd do a Whole44 since this happened on day 14). If you feel like you're not experiencing a good baseline by day 31 for reintroductions (cravings aren't gone perhaps), then that might be the scenario in which you extend the program a little longer to make up for the earlier mistake. 

Since you're already done with your Whole30 @Sophia Treviño, what did you decide to do?

Hi everyone,

I am Mona and I started my whole30 today. Ordered the book, read through it, shopped for food, meal prepped and here I am. Day 1 I thought was going well, until I had a larabar with my tea and realized Larabars are meant for emergencies only and I should have not satisfied the sugar craving with a larabar. Question is, do i beat myself about it and start over or am I still considered compliant and carry on? Oh and the other thing I did is I finished a whole nutpod (11.2 oz) in one day, I had 2 coffee and 2 teas, used the creamer for all 4, not sure if this is the right thing to do?

Hi Mona,

Please, please, please do not beat yourself up over this.  Never do you beat yourself over a food choice.  Even a non compliant one. Larabar's are one of those technically compliant items that don't really do you any favours.  They don't break  your whole 30, but you are feeding a sugar dragon - so no favours.   So this is just a learning experience that you need not repeat.

Carry onto day 2.

Started my whole30 journey today. One thing I am beating myself about is I had a larabar as a snack with tea (after lunch)..now I know that larabars are meant for emergencies. and not to be used as satisfying the sugar craving. Do I need to start over or am I still considered compliant? Oh one more thing, is it frowned upon if you finish a whole nutpod (11.2 oz) in one day. These suckers are good and perfect compliment with tea/coffee but are you to use 1/2 nutpod a day?

As for the nut pod - maybe ease up a little on them.  Any nut milk or coconut milk serving should be around a 1/4 cup/ serving  - unless you are pregnant or breast feeding.  

But nuts do have a tendency of causing some digestive issues so maybe keep it to 1/4 a day???

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, nospringchicken12 said:

Started my whole30 journey today. One thing I am beating myself about is I had a larabar as a snack with tea (after lunch)..now I know that larabars are meant for emergencies. and not to be used as satisfying the sugar craving. Do I need to start over or am I still considered compliant? Oh one more thing, is it frowned upon if you finish a whole nutpod (11.2 oz) in one day. These suckers are good and perfect compliment with tea/coffee but are you to use 1/2 nutpod a day?

As long as the larabar had nothing non compliant in it, then you wouldn't need to start over.  I don't think it's terrible to use that much nutpods outside of the expense of it... I don't buy it because I can only see it lasting for about 4 cups of tea/coffee for me...

10 minutes ago, Carlaccini said:

As for the nut pod - maybe ease up a little on them.  Any nut milk or coconut milk serving should be around a 1/4 cup/ serving  - unless you are pregnant or breast feeding.  

But nuts do have a tendency of causing some digestive issues so maybe keep it to 1/4 a day???

Phew, glad I asked early. Thank you so much!

• Moderators
Just now, nospringchicken12 said:

Phew, glad I asked early. Thank you so much!

As per forum rules, please do not cross post the same post over multiple threads. The moderators and advanced members get to things usually within the hour or a couple hours and we see all posts so no need to put them in multiple places.  I've combined your other post to this thread.

Just now, SugarcubeOD said:

As per forum rules, please do not cross post the same post over multiple threads. The moderators and advanced members get to things usually within the hour or a couple hours and we see all posts so no need to put them in multiple places.  I've combined your other post to this thread.

Noted, thank you so much!

Archived