Wife and I start tomorrow, July 16

Joe P

Hello all!

My wife and I start our first whole30 tomorrow. She's had gastritis (per the doc) so we're trying this to see if it'll ease her stomach pains. 

Excited to see what it'll do for her mostly, but excited for myself too. Also, scared...

We are crossfitters - not super good or fit but we go 4-5 times a week. Any tips for us since we are pretty active gym goers?

thanks!!

I started yesterday, and it’s the end of day 2 for me right now. Would it be helpful for us to check in with each other on here? As for the CrossFit/being active thing: it helps to eat more meals in a day instead of trying to go 4+ hours between meals if you’re pretty active and hungry. I like to eat a mini-meal about an hour before working out, and then another immediately after. My meal after normally has a lot of fat and protein to keep me full now that my metabolism is revved. Good luck!

@ild228 checking in sounds good to me! I am taking off from working out until wednesday or thursday - we did a competition saturday and i've been going hard for a few months, so I am taking a 4 or 5 day break. Once that's over, i'll be adding in the pre and post meals/snacks.

thanks for the advice!

Day 2 and I am doing some deeper reading on here and now I am mad confused.

So yesterday we have a breakfast hash w/ sweet potatoes, apples, chicken, and walnuts. It was great, and filling. Held me over until lunch which was a couple eggs, pork chop, and green beans w/ some guac and walnuts. Dinner was pork & veg lettuce wraps w/ brocolli. Today was essentially the same up to now (dinner will be different)

I feel the same as I did before (not saying this is bad). But the more I read, the more I feel like eating the sweet potatoes and apples w/ breakfast was wrong? 

I am super confused on how to do all this. Maybe it's paralysis by analysis but the more I read the more I think I am doing something wrong by having sweet potatoes and apples at breakfast.

Any thoughts??

• Administrators
28 minutes ago, Joe P said:

Day 2 and I am doing some deeper reading on here and now I am mad confused.

So yesterday we have a breakfast hash w/ sweet potatoes, apples, chicken, and walnuts. It was great, and filling. Held me over until lunch which was a couple eggs, pork chop, and green beans w/ some guac and walnuts. Dinner was pork & veg lettuce wraps w/ brocolli. Today was essentially the same up to now (dinner will be different)

I feel the same as I did before (not saying this is bad). But the more I read, the more I feel like eating the sweet potatoes and apples w/ breakfast was wrong? 

I am super confused on how to do all this. Maybe it's paralysis by analysis but the more I read the more I think I am doing something wrong by having sweet potatoes and apples at breakfast.

Any thoughts??

Hi @Joe P - you are not doing anything wrong by having sweet potatoes and/or apple w/ breakfast. We will sometimes recommend to people in various circumstances that they try moving their starch to the end of the day and we always ask people not to eat fruit on its own. The way you've done it in your hash is exactly how fruit is best used.

If you are satisfied and feeling good for 4-5 hours after your meal, you are doing fine. :) 

We do recommend you limit nuts as your fat source to around a closed handful every other day or so. Swap in ghee, homemade mayo, avocado, olives etc as you go so that you are not relying fully on nuts as fat.

@ladyshanny  thanks for the prompt response! I've seen the "limiting nuts" idea - that was one thing I realized after grocery shopping on sunday. The last 2 days it's been just about the only option until we can get back to the store tonight or tomorrow. We've cooked w/ ghee - i forgot to mention that previously. I planned on making a batch of mayo (fortunately I've been making my own mayo for a few years), and then some dips, etc. to use. 

I figured that we would learn as we go. In the book it said that i should expect to feel semi-crappy on days 2 and 3, and i have to say I actually feel really good - it had me thinking I was doing something wrong (it's just how my mind works - can't explain it).

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Joe P said:

@ladyshanny  thanks for the prompt response! I've seen the "limiting nuts" idea - that was one thing I realized after grocery shopping on sunday. The last 2 days it's been just about the only option until we can get back to the store tonight or tomorrow. We've cooked w/ ghee - i forgot to mention that previously. I planned on making a batch of mayo (fortunately I've been making my own mayo for a few years), and then some dips, etc. to use. 

I figured that we would learn as we go. In the book it said that i should expect to feel semi-crappy on days 2 and 3, and i have to say I actually feel really good - it had me thinking I was doing something wrong (it's just how my mind works - can't explain it).

Ya, some people don't have any "side effects". Lots depends on how you ate before, underlying medical or health concerns etc. If you're feeling good, ride the wave! 

on Day 3 - energy levels are good so far, following the templates well (other than too many nuts, which will be corrected today!)

one thing - my stomach has been a little jacked up. To be blunt - loose stools, and frequent. Anyone else experience this? What could be the issue?

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Joe P said:

on Day 3 - energy levels are good so far, following the templates well (other than too many nuts, which will be corrected today!)

one thing - my stomach has been a little jacked up. To be blunt - loose stools, and frequent. Anyone else experience this? What could be the issue?

Some digestive upset can happen in the first bit, especially if Whole30 and all of its veggies etc are different than what you're used to. Nuts though, are notorious for causing loose bowels. Put those nuts up and try adding a bit of sweet potato to a meal each day (fist sized serving) to help firm the poops. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have 8 days left, and no slip ups. I have one major issue, however. I have found the question asked several times on the forum, with no resolution given.

I feel like crap when I wake up, My energy level is good during the day. I go to bed and get my 8 hours, but waking up is HARDER than it was before.

I don't have time to post my food for the day, but I assure you, I follow the template. 

any resolution?

Archived