Start Date 7/25/18

WanderlustanNYer

So I started my whole 30 today. I'm a little hungry and craving sugar. I'll have to do better tomorrow, but I'm getting a sunbasket box tonight so I should have 3 meals I can make. However, I'm stuck on how to get some basics. Like Dijon mustard, dry mustard, coconut milk (other than the canned version), as well as chicken/beef broth. I bought the bone brother in the whole 30 version but what about the broth. Where can I get this stuff without getting involved in membership crap?

Whole Foods, Trader Joes, Wegmans are three good stores to shop at for Whole30 compliant items that are harder to find (pre-made condiments, bacon, deli meats, etc...). Can't help with most of the basics you've listed because I haven't bought or used them, but Annie's Organic brand has a compliant Dijon mustard (as always, check the ingredients before you buy). 

Costco has a surprising number of compliant items. They have Primal Kitchen mayo at my local store. They have compliant coconut water and coconut milk. I haven't checked for mustard but maybe. Their 21 Spice Seasoning is compliant. I've also found compliant bacon and deli turkey there. 

I know you said you don't want a membership ... but, Thrive Market is amazing! I find so, so many healthy, compliant items there for cheap. They have 20% off your first three orders when you sign up. But there is a membership and a yearly fee. 

In general, here are some of my favorite Whole30 approved, pre-made products. They are expensive, but quite convenient and delicious if you can afford them: 

• Tessemae's BBQ sauce 
  • Tessemae's Ketchup  
  • Tessemae's Buffalo Sauce (both hot and regular) 
  • Primal Kitchen Chipotle Lime Mayo 
  • Primal Kitchen Ceasar Dressing 
  • Primal Kitchen Ranch Dressing
  • Primal Kitchen Green Goddess Dressing
  • The New Primal Classic Marinade
  • The New Primal Citrus & Herb Marinade
  • Thrive Market Organic Tuscan Pepper Pasta Sauce 

I buy much of this stuff online on Thrive Market (except they don't sell Tessemae's, which I find easiest to buy direct from them but you can find on Amazon). 

As for broth... I've found a couple of compliant brands of chicken broth in my local, regular grocery store (Safeway and/or Raley's). Beef broth is almost impossible to find without sugar so I buy Thrive Market beef bone broth online. I think you can find Kettle & Fire beef bone broth at Whole Foods, but it's super expensive. 

If you're interested in more products, check out the @Whole30Approved Instagram feed. They exclusively feature Whole30-compliant products you can buy in stores...

Looks like it is compliant: 

General suggestion as you move through Whole30: If you are ever unsure of an ingredient, google "Is _______ Whole30 (compliant)" and you will likely find the answer on the search page, or at least a link to a forum discussion where this has been asked before.  Much faster than posting the question and waiting for a response (which doesn't matter if it's an ingredient you already have, but definitely matters when you are shopping and need to know if you can purchase the thing you are holding at that moment). My first week I probably googled that Q at least 5 times per shopping trip.

• Moderators

Have you checked your local grocery store? Dry mustard powder should be easy to find. If you can't find a dijon, sub a different kind of mustard that you can find, like a stone ground or brown mustard -- the flavor may be a little different but it will work in recipes.

Use the canned coconut milk if that's what you can find compliant. It's great for recipes, and it works in coffee too. 

Broth, you'll just have to read labels on the ones available near you, but you could make your own if you want, or if it's in a recipe, you may be able to sub water and increase spices. 

There are also many of these options available on Amazon, or check the makers' sites directly if there are particular brands you want to see if they sell online or have a way to find where it's sold near you.

Archived