Why Costco and Sam's Club are bad for my Whole30

-Kara

I hope this makes you laugh...or at least think. Please share your story so I don't feel like so alone....

Every sunday I would take a costco run. I'd spend mad cash. If I was trying to do Whole30 or not. Every week I keep eating and eating and eating until finally - I didn't have any pants that fit, and I couldn't climb a flight of stairs w/o getting winded despite the fact I was trying to do cross fit every other day. and I was loosely trying to follow a whole30 diet....One day - I tore up my membership card and turned my back on the death boxes that are costco and sams....

here is my story-

So I walk into costco and I see strawberries. Cheap I suppose. And I buy them. Because I Don't want them to go bad they not only crowd all the veggies off my plate, They take over every meal. Or they go bad. Wasted money. I break down and mix them with - well - with whipped cream. It all started w/ the berries though and the abundance of them

I see a big bag of dried figs. Seem cheap enough. One just won't do. The bag is so big. With lunch I have 6 and then later in the day - a big fist full more and I Just can't stop. I can't let them go to waste. The sugar treat needing monster just beat me and good. 

A big package of luncheon meat - seems like a good choice. Maybe even some prosciutto for a recipe that only calls for a few slices. One slice leads to 10 and I can't make a fist for a week because of all the salt. It was such a good deal. Right. 

A big bag of plantain chips. Chips. Enough said. 

I have never ever over done it on a hard boiled egg binge. Nor have I ever say over indulged on say- cold steamed sweet potato. 

I have never ever thought - if I sit her and eat this whole can of coconut milk - I am going to have to hide the evidence. 

I haven't ever gone crazy mad eating cans of tuna until I make myself sick. 

This is not to say I haven't thought of it...

The problem is - 

I wasted a lot of time and money at bulk stores and I end up bringing WAY TOO MUCH FOOD into my house. More than I will ever need to get through a whole30 week even if every single person in my family was doing it too. That is by and buy design. 

A big grab worthy bag of even compliant food at costco or sams is problematic for me because I don't have a self regulator that says stop. I imagine many of us are in that same boat. 

The solution. 

I try my best to stay out of Costco or Sams. I don't even buy tires there. Or contacts. 

My conclusion

Shopping for food is not longer entertainment for me, it is a chore to be taken very seriously. I read labels. I go in with a strict list. I only buy what I can use in a week. If that means I buy 2 figs in the buik section then I Do that. If I want luncheon meat - I go to the service deli counter and buy 4 slices that amount to maybe 2.00 instead of going to sams and buy a puppy sized package for 8.99. I shop at local market. I buy the specialty stuff online.

It has taken me a seriously long time to realize that food is not love. Food shopping is not a date night activity.  Food is NOT entertainment - it is fuel. And this is sad because I am the a true emotional eater. A true stress eater. A true addict when it comes to food. One is too many and 100 is never enough. 

So - I save money and avoid stores like Sams and Costco and walmart for that matter. Why? I swear they are out to take my money and kill me. 

What is your costco/sam's story...

• Administrators

Oh my gosh! I get a "flyer" every week that shows ACTUAL PHOTOS that some gal goes and takes of all the sale items in Costco. And I sit at my computer at work and imagine some alternate life I have whereby I need a caesar salad kit for 12 people or a prawn tray that would feed 6 people or 4" of sliced roast beef deli meat or 20# of potatoes. And then I bring it home and we eat it. All of it. Because we don't want it to go bad. 

When we move next week Costco will not be close enough to be regular anymore and I am more than good with that. Because instead of shopping for our actual life of a married couple who should be watching what we eat, I keep shopping for this imaginary life of abundance and cheer and then we eat it all and now we need to go shopping for our real life of needing new pants.

I can't tell you how many times I have wandered through costco just drooling at all the sweets and treats and I end up eating a whole carton of blueberries on the way home. Why? Because my need to feed was triggered just by being in that space. I see all the other people doing it. Why can't I? 

I guess we all could avoid it if we chose to. And some choose not to even though they probably should for whatever reason. 

I remember shopping at a wholesale club when I worked at a restaurant when it meant going in there to buy huge bags of potatoes...more than anyone would ever want or need as a family of 2 or 10. 

These types of stores have devolved into a sort of human need feeding frenzy. 

I would rather live a long time. 

A long time. 

Than feed that need anymore. 

omg so true 

sometimes I wonder around and forget why I am there! so I come home with something I do not need and never get what I went there to purchase. these stores are overwhelming and probably best avoided unless you are indeed putting on a dinner for 12.

they do have good prices which is what attracts only after do you realize the waste as you toss it out. I have even said I will freeze them, package them into individual servings etc.  truth be told usually does not happen

I also chose to go to the smaller stores and shop more frequently

So true!!!  The struggle is real.  I have been trying to buy only frozen ground beef, chicken, romaine lettuce, tortillas and burger buns (for the non-Whole30 guy) and the frozen Normandy Mix vegetables when I go to Costco.  I also get the little fingerling potatoes sometimes because they are about 15 times the cost in the grocery store.  I do admit to rewarding myself with a pair of workout pants to get out without other delicious things though.   I also buy toilet paper, toothpaste, deodorant etc. at Costco because I hate to shop and prefer to have it on hand as long as possible.

• 2 weeks later...

I wish I had a deep freeze. No room in my tiny space. I would freeze the fruit and veggie bounty right now. And I order a lot of stuff online through amazon prime pantry. 

Right now, the organic food I find so pricy is even a decent price. So, I would love to make space for a deep freeze maybe I will!

• 9 months later...

I have a free membership to Costco and I still don’t shop there. We’re a household of 2, it just doesn’t make sense to buy most things in bulk. There are a few non perishable things I’d like to get at Costco, and I guess I could freeze the meat they sell, but it’s not worth the extra trip especially when there isn’t a Costco near me.

Archived