Two 20-somethings trying to heal years of damage 1/2/13

Jackolantern

Day 18

Breakfast: 2 eggs in coconut oil, banana, little sunflower seed butter

Lunch: leftover beef shanks, broccoli, mashed cauliflower, nuts

Dinner: chicken sausage, few yucca chips, brussels sprouts in ghee

18 seems like such a big number. Only 12 days to go!

Yesterday's breakfast was not enough and I felt it around noon. More protein! More fat!

Meal planning has become so easy. The fridge is loaded so we actually have options for what we want to eat. I still have a batch of chocolate chili and italian sausage in a tomato sauce in the freezer.

We will have enough food in the freezer to take us beyond 30 days. The more I've thought about it, the more I'm thinking I should take this to 45 days (Feb. 15).

Another thing to try for your bf's stomach gurglings is a good probiotic. I take Bio-Kult daily and got my hubby to take it with me. My stomach was ALWAYS talking (I'm serious, almost continual gurglings) and my husband always joked about it with me. It took about a week for our guts to get used to the probiotic and not have the signs of gut warfare (trust me, you'll notice it!) but once we did, the transformation was amazing.

The only gurgling I get is when I'm hungry, I tolerated dairy much better (although it would help that I switched from soy milk to whole organic milk...I know...soy...), and the best part for me was my husband's transformation. He was always clearing his throat. Always. It got worse right before we started taking it - he actually had a throat-clearing fit that made him gag, there was so much gunk there. Turns out, the need to clear the throat happened right after a round of antibiotics when he was 18 (he'd had a bad cellulitis infection in one of his toes he'd broken...long story involving jerks not letting him go to the doctor while he was in training). As far as I can tell (never went to a doctor for an official diagnosis, which I'm grateful for), he had Laryngopharyngeal Reflux. It's called LPR or silent reflux because it's basically you having acid reflux that's not bad enough to feel the burning but is enough to cause the body to produce extra mucus to try to protect the esophagus. Acid reflux is one of the symptoms of gut dysbiosis, a condition of your gut flora (the good bacteria you need) being messed up and having either not enough of the good stuff, too much of the bad stuff, or a combination thereof.

I picked the supplement I did because it has 14 different strains of bacteria naturally found in your intestines...the most I found in a well-recommended probiotic. Your guts are supposed to have thousands of different species, so the idea of just taking one species of bacteria didn't make sense. Yogurt can help, but a traditional SAD brand of yogurt has generally only been cultured for an hour or less before having thickeners added to make up for the lack of beneficial bacteria. I don't know about various brands of Greek yogurt, but relying on yogurt of any type to fill the gap in probiotic consumption isn't really going to do it. If you do add back in yogurt, try leaving it out on the counter with plastic wrap over the top of it (sealed well). Leave it at least a day - if it does have active bacteria in it, the plastic wrap will have ballooned with the gas from the bacteria's metabolic activity.

Think about a probiotic - it certainly helped my husband and I! And sorry for the long post...just wanted to pass along the full story!

Think about a probiotic - it certainly helped my husband and I! And sorry for the long post...just wanted to pass along the full story!

Thanks! The gurgling stopped at about day 3 of our Whole 30 and hasn't been back, but I'll look into BioKult. We're trying to add more probiotic foods such as sauerkraut and kombucha.

Day 19

Breakfast: prosciutto egg cups with veggies, avocado, tostones

Lunch: roasted red pepper soup with chicken sausage, avocado, few yuca chips

Dinner: steaks with broccoli and yuca fries

It's freezing here so my activity level has dropped. All I want to do is snuggle on the couch with my puppy. Also, I love yuca. I first ate it a few months ago at a Cuban restaurant. Cutting it into fry shapes makes them get crispy on the outside. So much tastier than white potato fries, in my opinion.

Day 20: Two-thirds of the way done!

Breakfast: jicama "oatmeal" and the last of the beef shanks, half larabar

PWO: few yuca chips, piece of turkey breast

Lunch: steak, yuca fries, brussel sprouts

Dinner: turkey burgers, sweet potatoes

I made bone broth in the crockpot all day yesterday - just in time for today's cold snap. It made my house smell so delicious.

I'm killing it in the gym compared to a few weeks ago -- another reason to keep this going past 30 days.

Day 21

PWO: sweet potato, turkey

Breakfast: jicama, 2 eggs, avocado

Lunch: turkey burger, sweet potatoes, green beans, cantaloupe

Dinner: spaghetti squash with chicken sausage, peppers and onions, few cashews

I have been having crazy cravings lately. I'm not sure why - I haven't had cravings since that first week. Chocolate seems to be the strongest. They quickly go away, so they're not too big a deal, but I'm definitely noticing them more often.

Yesterday was another successful day in the gym! Hoping to score a few PRs in the next few weeks.

Day 22

Breakfast: turkey sausage, half avocado, jicama with walnuts

Lunch: leftover red pepper soup, avocado, turkey burger, few nuts

Dinner: half larabar, few bites carnitas, guac, banana, 2 eggs, green beans

Went out for drinks with friends last night and ordered club soda with lime. We told them we were doing a Whole 30. Turns out our friend's sister is a paleo nutritionist! So we actually talked about it for a little while and it was not awkward at all, even when we ordered compliant tacos and ate the meat out of their shells, dipped in guacamole. We were still hungry when we got home, so we whipped up a quick breakfast for dinner.

The thing I miss the most is booze - I'm not a heavy drinker but I do enjoy meeting friends for one drink or enjoying a glass of good red wine after dinner.

Day 23

PWO: tostones, turkey sausage

Breakfast: turkey sausage, avocado, jicama, walnuts

Lunch: leftover spaghetti squash with peppers and chicken sausage, clementine

Dinner: salmon, green beans, cauliflower rice, macadamia nuts

Day 24

PWO: veggie and prosciutto egg muffin

Breakfast: egg muffin, little salmon, jicama, walnuts

Lunch: sardines, little bowl roasted red pepper soup, half apple with almond butter, half larabar

Dinner: coconut shrimp, fried cauliflower with tons of veggies

For the first two weeks, I could feel myself shrinking -- my pants kept feeling looser. This week, the same pairs of pants kept feeling tighter. :( Maybe too many starchy veggies and fruits? (Although I don't think I overeat those.) I'm trying not to worry about it and to focus on all the good things I'm feeling (better sleep, less back/neck pain, constant energy.)

Day 25

Breakfast: 2 eggs, jicama, little salmon, half banana, clementine, few walnuts

Lunch: coconut shrimp, veggie-packed fried cauliflower rice

Dinner: steak fajitas in lettuce wraps with guacamole and a few plantain chips, date+walnut

Non-connected thoughts:

I'm so tired of doing dishes. We don't have a dishwasher so the dishes piled up quickly before we started our Whole 30. We're at the point now where we'll do as many as we can stack to dry in the second sink and counter next to it.

Yesterday I pulled something in my back at the site where I used to have some pain (pre-Whole 30) while doing pull-ups. It already feels a ton better, much quicker than in the past.

Today is our last shopping/prep day of our Whole 30, but we're buying enough to last us a few days beyond.

Day 26

Breakfast: 2 eggs, 2 turkey sausage patties, veggie hash with a chunk of sweet potato, 1/4 avocado

Lunch: coconut shrimp, veggie fried cauliflower rice

Dinner: elk burgers, yucca fries, broccoli, macadamia nuts

Another yummy day another day that shows cooking on Whole 30 doesn't need to be an involved process, especially if you do a little prep. I had already cut the veggies for breakfast, boiled the yucca and made the cauliflower rice. I roasted the broccoli and yucca together and finished the elk burgers in the oven after searing them on the stove. The elk was a great find from a local grocery store chain and all it took needed was a little salt and pepper.

My boyfriend is planning his reintroductions (I'm going to 45 days) for Friday and he's starting with beer then cheese and milk in his coffee. It's hard to believe 30 days is almost over!

mmm...yucca and coconut shrimp. I can't find yucca around here, which is probably just as well, because I'd eat it non stop. As far as the dishes - do you have a good drying rack? We have a dishwasher but only use it for dishes and glasses - all of our mixing bowl, cutting boards, pyrex, tupperware, and pots and pans get done by hand. We just bought a kitchenaid drying rack at Costco for $25 and it has changed our life. It's so much easier when the drying rack is well designed!

mmm...yucca and coconut shrimp. I can't find yucca around here, which is probably just as well, because I'd eat it non stop. As far as the dishes - do you have a good drying rack? We have a dishwasher but only use it for dishes and glasses - all of our mixing bowl, cutting boards, pyrex, tupperware, and pots and pans get done by hand. We just bought a kitchenaid drying rack at Costco for $25 and it has changed our life. It's so much easier when the drying rack is well designed!

I have a decent drying rack, but enough dishes to fill three of them at a time! I need to get in the habit of doing them every night -- unintended benefit of the Whole 30 -- because I really do feel better when the kitchen is clean.

Day 27

Breakfast: 2 eggs, half avocado, few plantain chips, salmon, few cashews

Lunch: fried plantain, pork, veggies, pico de gallo

PWO: sweet potato, chicken breast

Dinner: leftover elk burger, brussels sprouts, 1/4 sweet potato+almond butter

I realized I've been grazing lately - not because I'm hungry but because I'm bored. I'm not grazing like I used to, but I'm still having a few almonds at night or half a larabar in the middle of the afternoon. I don't need these things, but I'm conditioned to want them. Funny, I didn't feel the need to snack or graze for the first 2 weeks.

So here I am, day 28, consciously battling that extinction burst!

Day 28

Breakfast: 2 turkey sausage patties, tomatoes and peppers, few plantain slices fried in coconut oil, few cashews

Lunch: leftover elk burger, salad, homemade mayo+mustard dressing

Dinner: chocolate chili with sweet potato, avocado, lettuce, macadamia nuts

I had my second mayo fail in a row last night, despite all ingredients being room temperature. I first made mayo a few weeks ago, following Melissa Joulwan's recipe. I used EVOO and it got super thick. We kept it because we actually liked the heavy olive oil taste. Last week, I tried it with light oil and it didn't emulsify initially so I tried the trick of using a second yolk and pouring in the messed up batch as oil. It kind of worked, but it wasn't nearly as thick as my first batch. Last night, it just wasn't coming together at all and I ended up throwing the whole thing away. :( I think it's because the food processor bowl might be too big for 1 egg mayo, but then again, I used it for that first, perfect batch.

I'm giving it another go tonight but doubling the batch. I need to anyway for the massive amounts of deviled eggs I plan to make for the Superbowl.

Day 29

PreWO: macadamia nuts, roast beef

PWO: sweet potato chicken breast

Breakfast: 2 turkey sausage patties, tostones, 1/4 avocado

Lunch: chocolate chili with sweet potato, macadamia nuts

Dinner: chicken sausage, steamed veggies with ghee, spaghetti squash

Good morning, day 30! 30 days felt like forever when I was on day 3 and now I'm going to keep going for another two weeks - I must be crazy.

I love how I feel when I eat this way. I have a steady stream of energy. I don't get hungry if work keeps me from eating at my usual meal times (I used to always carry protein bars and emergency snacks.) I don't think about food all the time. I've cut way back on snacking.

I'll stop there before this turns into my after-action post!

It's been a few days, but this was day 30:

PreWO: macadamia nuts, roast beef

Breakfast: tostones, avocado, turkey sausage

Lunch: chicken sausage, steamed veggies with ghee, spaghetti squash

Dinner: salmon burgers, cauliflower rice, veggies

Success story here: http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/6919-bye-bye-back-pain-hello-energy/

Archived