What order to reintroduce dairy items?

Tarrantrl

I want to do a more detailed dairy reintroduction. I'm trying to separate out the effects of lactose, casein, and whey as much as possible. I read a really good breakdown of this on the forum somewhere, but I've done a bunch of google searches and I still can't find that post. Does anybody know what I'm talking about or can anyone recommend a good order to reintroduce dairy if I had all the time in the world to do it? Thanks!

@Tarrantrl  I'm interested in this as well. After some reading on here, I came across the following quote from a moderator.  Please forgive me for not using the standard quote format. I couldn't get it to work across topics. The question was about the body being less able to digest dairy after the 30 days. 

"This is certainly sometimes the case because the body stops producing it when it is no longer required. That said it can be dependant on what type of dairy you ate though - you could be reacting to the lactose, the casein, or the whey, which is why many people break down their reintros a little further to try out the likes of mature cheeses, thick creams, yoghurts etc - the general rule of thumb is the higher the fat content the lower the lactose, so if lactose is your problem then you could try high fat dairy products with good success."

Dairy is fairly problematic for me so I'm going to put it towards the end of my reintroductions and further subdivide it based on fat content and lactose/casein/whey content.

@Tarrantrl  I know from past experience that butter doesn't bother me.  I will introduce that first, on its own, just to be sure.  Next for me will be yogurt (plain), because I've had mixed results with that. And then I guess I will have a third day for milk.  I don't normally drink it but I'd like to know what it does.  I did used to put creamer in my coffee, so its applicable. I might eat some ice cream on that day as well.  I really want to be specific with it, and from what I've gathered, you break it down into the specifics largely based on your own body and how it's functioned in the past. Oh, and cheese.  I think that needs to be separate as well, with hard and soft cheeses introduced separately. I'm going to be at this for awhile!  But it's worth it to me.  I've had so many issues in the past and I really want to know the specifics of what is causing what. I'm sorry I can't be more definite.  This is my first Whole30 and I'm definitely learning as I go!

• 5 weeks later...

I’m curious if people are dealing with intestinal issues or inflammation.  If it’s intestinal then I would imagine you would know right away. But what if it’s inflammatory issues?  I’m nearly at 30 days and starting to get nervous. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, shomo83 said:

I’m curious if people are dealing with intestinal issues or inflammation.  If it’s intestinal then I would imagine you would know right away. But what if it’s inflammatory issues?  I’m nearly at 30 days and starting to get nervous. 

Sometimes people do have a fairly quick inflammatory reaction to something -- they have dairy throughout the day and then the next day their knees ache or whatever. But it is definitely possible to have a reaction that doesn't show up until you've been consuming something for a few days or regularly over time. That's something you'll probably just have to figure out as you go. If you have been having non-Whole30 stuff and realize you don't feel good anymore, go back to Whole30 until you feel good again, and then take a look at what you'd been eating, and whether it is still worth it to you to continue eating those things as often as you had been, or if you want to cut back on them even more or even cut them out completely, either for a while, or forever. 

Archived