Stomach pain

SaraEC

I have occasional, mysterious stomach and cramping after eating meals. This happened to me before the Whole30, and has persisted during my Whole30. I'm having a hard time identifying what is causing it, because usually in a meal, I eat a variety of  foods, but I suspect that vinegar may be an issue for me. Is that possible? For example, I just ate a small can of sardines, a side of arugula, drizzled with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, and one over-easy egg seasoned with salt and some flakes of crushed red pepper. After finishing eating, my stomach was quickly upset, and became hard. It's been an hour, and I'm still in pain. I feel like I have a baseball in tummy. Any thoughts? 

• Moderators

Definitely keep a food and symptom diary so that you can look back and try to find patterns. Try to note spices and seasonings too, since sometimes they can make a difference. 

If there's something that you believe is causing it, leave that out for at least a week, and see if you feel a difference at all. Remember to keep an eye out for the ingredient in other foods as well -- for instance with vinegar, it's in (cucumber) pickles and other pickled vegetables, mustard, salad dressings, and ketchup. 

Archived