Starting October 8th!

Lolowally

40 minutes ago, Chik0929 said:

TMI: My bowels just had a rebellion and then I got a massive headache. So yeah. Day 3 is.... going. Food tastes great, but maybe upping the fat for the first meal was the best idea. Or my body is just reacting to the higher fiber in all the extra veggies. I'll see how I'm feeling in a few days. And I'll adjust accordingly. 

Feeling less hungry though!

Feeling less hungry is good! 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Chik0929 I hope you feel better soon.

@ArtFossil great on drinking more water.

Today I had my first real cravings for fast food. I wanted a cheese burger with fries and a diet coke so bad today. It passes and then comes back. I am feeling a little better today. My sore throat keeps coming and going which is irritating. I need to start walking, stretching, and doing my pt more, so I will start adding that in more. I have to get up early tomorrow so I am trying to decompress earlier so I can get to bed earlier. 

Yay end of day 4

I had my first food dream last night and Channing Tatum was also in it. How weird. 1 was I was making a delicious steak on a grill and had it all ready and then lost it. The other was about dessert pies and how since I hadn't been compliant anyway I should just eat some. These things and I was supposed to be taking care of a very young child and I wasn't doing what I was supposed to do. Very weird.

I was finally able to wear my CPAP for my apnea last night. I had been sick 2 weeks ago but the phlegm and coughing made is impossible to wear it. So aside from not being able to fall asleep until 2 hours after bed and taking 2 walks (1 - 45min and the other 20 mins) I was able to sleep really well and only got up 1 time to go to the bathroom.

Just getting up and started for the day and have to figure out food, which is strange since I pretty much figure out what I am going to eat the day before. Always been like that. Maybe because it isn't junk food I am not as excited about the meals

Have a great day 5 everyone.

@Chik0929 That is all good news! Today, Day 5, is . . . not bad! I made some Dump Ranch and am looking forward to having that with a salad tonight. And my Amazon Prime Pantry order arrived with lots of fizzy water. I confess my thoughts turned to losing weight today, as in hoping I will lose weight this month. While I talk a good game about health benefits and NSVs, it looks like weighing less is really at the root of my motivation. B)

@Elizabeth33 I'm glad you're feeling better. I'll chat with you sometime about your CPAP. Right now, I am in the middle of sleep study hell and hope that'll be resolved in the next two weeks. 

@ArtFossil Hope you sleeping study does what you want.

@Chik0929 so glad to hear that. 

Yesterday was a huge win. Not only has this been the longest I have stayed on in a very long time, I usually start eating bad food on day 3 but I was able to stay compliant when an unexpected thing happened. I only expected to be out of the house until noon. So I had planned on coming home for lunch. I didn't get home until after 5. I was able to stay compliant although it cost me a lot of money. I have more eliminations than just what is on the whole 30. I can't do chicken or high lectin foods. And where I was at didn't have anything I could eat. So I went to Gelson (grocery store here in LA) did sashimi and a big salad and then later a burger, no bun and I didn't have the mayo for the burger because it was not compliant, with mixed green and sweet potato. Very proud of my self.

My cravings are still yanking my chain though. But I am handling it pretty good. Tonight I made Nom Nom Paleo asian fried rice. https://nomnompaleo.com/post/3195098303/asian-cauliflower-fried-rice it was so good. I also cooked up the rest of my kale.  

I didn't sleep as well as I did last night. And I also woke up an hour earlier. The weekends I need to solve the issue with when to eat. Because I work at 10 and can’t have lunch until 2 PM it makes it kind of hard. Trying to figure out the best solution. In the past I would just go to Subway at 8:30 and have a sandwich, chips, and a drink. Then if necessary I would do a small snack at 12. Now I need to eat within the first hour of waking up. I know I can't go 7 hours without food and not want to kill the kids I am babysitting. I’m going to have to possibly do a small snack and then get there at Sohohouse (work) at 9:30 AM so I can have another meal. Hopefully that will last me until two. I will have to see.

Have a great day 6 everyone.

1 hour ago, Elizabeth33 said:

Cravings are really bad today. Where I work they have all sorts of pastries and sweets. This too shall pass......

I know what you mean. I went to the grocery store so I could make my (adult) daughter a grilled cheese sandwich as she's not feeling well. I hadn't had lunch yet and just walking the aisles was . . . interesting. This is one of those "virtue is NOT really its own reward" days.

I bought myself a steak to cook for dinner. AND an avocado. :)

I made it through yesterday with all the temptations. I am 1/2 through them today and have work tonight. Very proud of my self. I didn’t do what I should have done last night. I shoujd have vacuumed seal some of my meat and got more food prepped but instead I just plugged myself into the TV set. 

Welcome to day 8 everyone. I hope the weekend went well. 

I slept ok last night but I woke up at 4:30 and couldn't fall back asleep. I even had a small snack to see if that would help and it didn't. I am finding that I am not as hungry today. I was able to go almost 5 hours before having lunch. I am still having issues with cravings and wanting sugar and bad carbs. The desire to go off plan is getting stronger unfortunately. I am getting the blues. <_<

I ran out of my allergy medicine over the weekend. I finally had to break down and by over the counter. I have been itchy all over my body since I went off it. This is aside from the bug bites that I am still getting. My face is particularly itchy. I know my face doesn't like the CPAP because I get rashes on my lips but this is all over the face. I am hoping the allergy medicine will help. I know as I get further along the program that I will be able to go off it without having any issues. 

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, Elizabeth33 said:

The desire to go off plan is getting stronger unfortunately. I am getting the blues. <_<

You're heading into the toughest time of the Whole30 for most people. Days 10 & 11 in particular are the days most people seem to quit, but basically you've hit a point where it's not all shiny and new and exciting anymore, but you're not far enough in that you're really seeing benefits yet, so it can be tempting to just quit. Don't do it! Just hang in there. 

Are you having at least one serving of starchy vegetable each day? (Like potato, sweet potato, carrots, parsnips, turnips, beets, rutabagas, plantains, or any of the winter squashes like acorn or butternut.) Most people feel best with at least one fist-sized serving of starchy vegetable each day, and some need more, especially anyone who is very active, who is prone to depression or anxiety, who is pregnant or nursing, or who is in the week or so leading up to their period. If you need a couple of servings a day to feel good, or even a serving at every meal, that is fine, just continue to also eat other types of vegetables as well.

@ShannonM816 Thanks. I do try and have some starchy veggies at each meal right now. I will look back and see if I need more maybe. I have had a lot of triggers and stress this last week too so that maybe part of it. I am still struggling with the munchies at night as well. Would you recommend maybe more fat at dinner?

• Moderators
Just now, Elizabeth33 said:

@ShannonM816 Thanks. I do try and have some starchy veggies at each meal right now. I will look back and see if I need more maybe. I have had a lot of triggers and stress this last week too so that maybe part of it. I am still struggling with the munchies at night as well. Would you recommend maybe more fat at dinner?

Stress will definitely make you crave things, so that probably is a big part of it. Hopefully you have a little less stress going forward. 

More fat at dinner probably won't hurt -- we usually tell people to pick one or two of the fats listed on the meal template, in addition to whatever oil they cook in, and if sometimes it's a little more, that's not a problem.

It may sound counterintutive, but being sure you eat within an hour of getting up each day will actually do a lot to help with the night time munchies too. It's to do with cortisol levels and stuff -- ideally your cortisol levels are high in the morning, and go down throughout the day, and along with that, you'll be hungry in the morning, and less so by the end of the day. This article has a pretty good summary:   https://www.thepaleomom.com/is-breakfast-really-most-important-meal/

Day 9! Finally! We are 26.6666666666667% complete! 

To counteract my food boredom, I celebrated a week on Whole30 by enrolling in an online class on using Procreate (painting app) on my iPad and it's both challenging and fun.

@Elizabeth33 don't give up now! You can do this! I do think that potatoes or carrots are mood-altering—for the better! I think Shannon's onto something about upping fat at Meal 3 to help with evening hunger.

I also really sympathize with your sleep issues and your itching. As to sleep, I’m waiting for the results of a failed sleep test and then will take a home test. Sigh. As for itching, the bug bites I get here in Florida sometimes trigger overall itchiness. So exasperating. 

I wonder where  @Lolowally, @eclaire@lindsaya1 and @Southerncinn are?Maybe they will get this bat signal and check in!

Today went pretty good. I made some asparagus and got my frozen meat vacuum sealed finally. I will need to prep more veggies in the next few days. I was up a few times last night and it did take me a while to fall back asleep but my energy was good today.  

Wow I really did not sleep well last night. It started off well and then went south. I had a real issue with temperature. I feel like I was up every hour or so to pee. I most likely drank too much water close to bed. I had a bad hot flash (I am thinking) around 2 am. Anyway I am very tired this morning. I am definitely sticking with this even though the desire to go off plan is huge and my feelings towards the program are Meh. This is not going to be just 30 days for me. I will be eating like this for several months to try and get rid of some of my ailments and really improve my sleep. I will try to rally some enthusiasm for the day and hope all goes well for everyone else

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Elizabeth33 said:

the desire to go off plan is huge and my feelings towards the program are Meh.

So, is there anything in particular making you feel this way? If you started 10/8, you're about 9 days in, so you're about in the time when people are most likely to give up, so this might just be a normal feeling that will pass in a few days, but if there's something that can make this less meh, let's figure that out, especially if you're planning to keep going past 30 days. 

If it's that you're tired of cooking, look for easy meals for a few days that don't require a lot of prep. Spring for the pre-chopped vegetables if you're tired of prepping them. Find some compliant precooked sausages, or some compliant hot dogs, or a rotisserie chicken, so you have a meal or two that doesn't require much effort. Or research some restaurants and figure out if there's one that you could eat at, and treat yourself to dinner out one night. 

If it's that you're bored with your food, find some new things to try. Even simple things like a new sauce or dip could change up your normal foods, or if you're going to have time sometime to cook something a little more time consuming, find a recipe or two you've really been wanting to try. (Browse through these for some ideas if you aren't sure where to start:  https://meljoulwan.com/category/recipes/whole30/)

6 hours ago, Elizabeth33 said:

Wow I really did not sleep well last night. It started off well and then went south. I had a real issue with temperature. I feel like I was up every hour or so to pee. I most likely drank too much water close to bed. I had a bad hot flash (I am thinking) around 2 am. Anyway I am very tired this morning. I am definitely sticking with this even though the desire to go off plan is huge and my feelings towards the program are Meh. This is not going to be just 30 days for me. I will be eating like this for several months to try and get rid of some of my ailments and really improve my sleep. I will try to rally some enthusiasm for the day and hope all goes well for everyone else

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help. :)

It’s day 11! That means we October 8 folks are more than 1/3 done!

I hit a bit of a wall this afternoon. Not a 20 foot brick wall—more like a stone wall on a ramble through the English countryside. 

But, I did some cooking that made me feel happy. Two days ago I made “Basque Chicken” in the clay pot. Ginormous chicken breasts with bones and skin, lots of mushrooms, bell peppers and onions, garlic and cayenne. I’d forgotten how the clay pot transforms chicken. It becomes so tender and flavorful, but with crisp skin. 

Tonight, I took the leftovers from that, plus more onions, peppers and mushrooms, plus leftover broccoli and spinach, plus leftover coconut milk and chicken broth and some Mae Ploy Thai Red Curry paste, and now I have delicious soup!

Woman does not live by George Forman alone  

E5DE4E61-34FB-4E08-9373-8E432AC6BDF9.thumb.jpeg.aeea337275f20d88a85fbfa43379ed7c.jpeg

• Administrators
15 hours ago, ArtFossil said:

Two days ago I made “Basque Chicken” in the clay pot. Ginormous chicken breasts with bones and skin, lots of mushrooms, bell peppers and onions, garlic and cayenne. I’d forgotten how the clay pot transforms chicken. It becomes so tender and flavorful, but with crisp skin.

Can I hear more about this clay pot? My husband and I cook almost exclusively on stoneware which we feel makes overall better food. But we don't have any stone POTS. I'm intrigued!

48 minutes ago, ladyshanny said:

Can I hear more about this clay pot? My husband and I cook almost exclusively on stoneware which we feel makes overall better food. But we don't have any stone POTS. I'm intrigued!

Clay pots were a staple of 80’s garage sales here in the states. I started cooking with one in the late 80’s when I was both working and going to school. My then husband could assemble dinner in the clay pot and watch sports on TV while it cooked. Think of it as a analogue slow cooker, LOL.

The basic principle is you soak the pot in water for 20 minutes, add the ingredients then put in a COLD oven which you immediately turn up to temperature (usually 450 degrees). Most dishes take an hour to an hour and a half. Somehow, the clay pot can both steam and brown, so nothing has to be precooked (even rice cooks perfectly). Ignore those recipes that talk about gradually increasing the temperature. That's just a waste of time.

Get the Romertopf kind and get the large size (think large roast chicken). At first, you may want to use parchment paper on the bottom to make cleanup easier. Eventually, the bottom will blacken with a wonderful patina and cleanup will be very fast.

claypot.jpg.af4cdce69d074e4d12808816a0b24c22.jpg

There are lots of cook books but start with Clay Cookery as it’ll give you the basics and lots of recipes you can modify to your taste.

I like it for stews as well as roast chicken. Roasted Cornish game hens (just stuff the hens with celery, carrot and onion, add your spices and drizzle the tops with olive oil) are sublime. You can even make ratatouille in it with no pre-blanching or any of that stuff.

This is a good basic article:

https://www.thecitycook.com/articles/2012-10-03-the-essential-kitchen-clay-pot-cooking 

Hey guys just wanted to let you know I am still here. Been doing good. I have been REALLY busy so I havent been able to post. I had to eat out several times because I was only supposed to be out for a bit and ended up being all day. I was able to stay compliant. I am hoping to read others posts later today 

Archived