Just started! Excited and scared..

Victoria Stasiewicz

Hi Everyone! I just started today and I am a little scared. I have a coffee, dark chocolate, and green tea addiction.  I have found that I have chronic congestion, which I have read can actually be caused by green tea and dairy.  I am most afraid of the caffeine withdrawal - lol! I did love my food tonight though - salmon with avocado, sauteed brussel sprouts, onions, kale, spinach, broccoli, and acorn squash.  I did eat half of a baked acorn squash though - is that okay? I am not sure if that is too much squash in one meal. :( I really need the support since I know this is going to be tough. :(

13 hours ago, Victoria Stasiewicz said:

I did love my food tonight though - salmon with avocado, sauteed brussel sprouts, onions, kale, spinach, broccoli, and acorn squash. 

Welcome aboard the W30 train.

Sounds really yummy! Sauteed is my favorite way to make brussels sprouts.

I don't think a half an acorn squash is too much, not with one meal.  

• Administrators
17 hours ago, Victoria Stasiewicz said:

Hi Everyone! I just started today and I am a little scared. I have a coffee, dark chocolate, and green tea addiction.  I have found that I have chronic congestion, which I have read can actually be caused by green tea and dairy.  I am most afraid of the caffeine withdrawal - lol! I did love my food tonight though - salmon with avocado, sauteed brussel sprouts, onions, kale, spinach, broccoli, and acorn squash.  I did eat half of a baked acorn squash though - is that okay? I am not sure if that is too much squash in one meal. :( I really need the support since I know this is going to be tough. :(

Acorn squash is a starchy veggie so you'd be aiming at one fist-sized serving with your meal. Depends on the size of both the squash and your fist as to whether half of it is or isn't too much. Sounds like you are still hitting all the non-starchy veggies as well so as long as you aren't stuffed to the gills at the end of your meal, it is probably fine. :) 

@Victoria Stasiewicz if it's any help, when I completed my first whole30 in July, I was on a 60+ ounce per day Coke Zero habit for caffeine and just taste.  It took me about a week, but the caffeine headaches went away with the help of just one cup of unsweetened black tea, and I completed the remainder of that Whole30 without any caffeine at all.  I simply didn't need it.  My energy levels stabilized for the first time in my life.  

While I've been off and on Whole30 since then (did one in September and now in the midst of another) the caffeine (and ESPECIALLY Coke Zero) addiction has been kicked permanently.  I cannot possibly understand how I ever liked the stuff now after I tried it once I had been freed from it!  I do still enjoy a tea every now and then...unsweetened.

4 hours ago, pags98 said:

@Victoria Stasiewicz if it's any help, when I completed my first whole30 in July, I was on a 60+ ounce per day Coke Zero habit for caffeine and just taste.  It took me about a week, but the caffeine headaches went away with the help of just one cup of unsweetened black tea, and I completed the remainder of that Whole30 without any caffeine at all.  I simply didn't need it.  My energy levels stabilized for the first time in my life.  

While I've been off and on Whole30 since then (did one in September and now in the midst of another) the caffeine (and ESPECIALLY Coke Zero) addiction has been kicked permanently.  I cannot possibly understand how I ever liked the stuff now after I tried it once I had been freed from it!  I do still enjoy a tea every now and then...unsweetened.

Wow!! I am mainly on this journey to kick my sugar addiction. I LOVE candy. Like, REALLY LOVE candy. I am sure that by day 4 or 5 I am going to be wanting it so much. I am hoping that this changes my desire to eat so much of it. This is inspiration!

@mistysickmeier yes, sweets are definitely a big thing for me as well.  I think it will take a few more resets to get me on the right path with sugar for sure!  But I'm glad I'm reading Food Freedom Forever because it reminds me that that's "okay" and that it should get easier each time and allow me to be in control of my food.  It became "easy" for me with Coke Zero because it just didn't taste good anymore when I had it again.  The Sugar Dragon though is a mighty beast!!

It's the middle of day three for me.  How is everyone else doing?  I cooked a few things on Sunday to prepare for this first week.  I made two different soups, boiled eggs and tuna patty cakes.  Dinners are planned for but not in an amount that will create much in the way of leftovers.  I'm working on changing that for next week.  I hated having to give up being outside on a beautiful sunny day just to cook.  So, bigger amounts of things that will store for a few days in the fridge.

My soups this week are https://meljoulwan.com/2012/10/24/golden-cauliflower-soup/ and http://therealfoodrds.com/chicken-tortilla-less-soup/.  Both recipes make 5-6 servings. I alternate them for breakfast and lunch.  The cauli soup is eaten with either the boiled eggs or the tuna patties. It only has 1/2 cup of coconut milk in the whole pot which doesn't seem like it would be enough of a fat serving so I eat some olive or cashews with it.  

The Chicken tortilla-less soup is complete with the avocado I think.

Monday night's dinner was Pulled Pork Carnitas (over a package of Green Giant frozen Zoodles) from the Whole30 book, page 254.  I forgot to add a fat to that meal.

Tuesday night I had a Schwan's salmon filet baked in the oven with canned Delmonte Green Beans and Potatoes.  I mixed up equal parts lemon juice and olive oil (abt 2 Tbls each) and used half of it to bake the fish and poured the rest over everything once it was cooked.  And just to be sure I had enough fat I split a Fugi apple with almond butter with my companion.

Hope everyone is doing great!

Archived