robotarmy's whole30

robotarmy

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, it's officially February 3. I'm officially FINISHED with my Whole30! I made it woooohooooo!!!!!

Though I plan on continuing for a while (it just feels too good to stop) I plan on writing a wrap-up of the 30 days tomorrow. Reflections, etc. What an amazing experience.

Good night!

Day 33. Do you remember that episode of Seinfeld where Kramer was test driving the car and the fuel light came on? And he and the car salesman decided to see just how far they could go? That's kind of where I'm at. I love this.

I've decided I need to give up dates (the fruit, not the men ;) ) because holy crap they are in season here and they are DIVINE. And I like to eat nuts with them. And suddenly I've had too much sugar and too many nuts.

Trainer is encouraging the green veggies, so I'm going gung ho with them. CrossFit is beating me up in the best way possible. People have really started to notice its effects.

It's thrilling to be alive.

Okay I caved and had bacon this morning. Whole 37: achieved. Re-introduction beginning. I'm going to stay pretty strict with ye olde paleo, though. I just have some cheese that's been sitting around in the fridge that I'd like to eat. I'll start a re-intro log. Thanks for reading/supporting this one, everybody! <3

(Edit: It's not true, I didn't "cave." I made a conscious decision to have some bacon with breakfast. I spent money on it--a month ago--and now I'm going to eat it. Not like there was a huge bacon craving emergency lol)

Hi Robotarmy! I've just been reading your log, and it's the most entertaining one I've seen! I love that you posted stuff about your social activities, I'm so impressed that you've gone on multiple first dates, out with visiting friends, and tons of other stuff while on W30. AND started CF ( I think you started it while on this, I didn't read the first page of posts). Very cool! Sounds like you had total success. I'm on Day 21 of my second round, but the first time I only did 25 days (pre-planned, not caving), so soon I'll pass my stopping point from last time! My goal is to take the things from it that serve me most (minimal sugar and dairy, no artificial sweeteners, getting rid of the empty carbs like bread, rice and pasta are the most obvious that spring to mind). Anyway, just wanted to say hi and I enjoyed your log!

Hi Bethany :) thanks for stopping by! I actually think I'm going to just start up another Whole30 and just keep going with this log.

HERE WE GO: I ate my first non-compliant food last Saturday (bacon) and since then ate some other stuff that had been hanging around in my fridge for a month (salami, cheese). I also went out for Mexican food tonight and had chips and rice. My stomach is allllll kinds of topsy turvy. I'm sure it didn't help that I had yet another stomach virus this week. So I'm going back to being strict with my food choices for a bit until my insides have settled down more.

And the Mexican food? Not worth it. It was literally the first non-paleo thing I've eaten since January 3. And it was stupid. I don't mean I'm stupid for having gotten it. No, I mean the food was stupid. Bland. Boring. Of little value.

Has anybody else noticed that after eating only real food for 30 (or more) days that you taste differently? I feel like my tastebuds are more perceptive. I'm definitely more sensitive to chemically or non-natural tastes.

Anyway: round 2 starts tomorrow!

xo,

robotarmy

I definitely feel that way. It's funny, my boyfriend and I have our own version of "Cheers" where we like to hang out, we know the bartenders and it's a fun place to hang, and it's a Mexican restaurant that's known more for its fun environment and drinks than the food. I've really missed swinging in there for a beer both times I've done W30, but this time, I can't really imagine eating there anymore. Not saying I never will, but I feel like it would be like you said: of little value. Congrats on starting your next round!

February 14: Whole30 #2, Day 1!

Trying to keep my guts happy today: ate bananas and Larabars at work because other things have left me feeling a little too...gurgly inside. When I got home I ate some chicken, medjool dates, and pecans.

I skipped CF tonight--I pushed myself through while I was sick, and today I'm just drained. So I'm listening to my body and resting tonight. Hitting it hard tomorrow evening and Saturday! And running Saturday and Sunday.

I'm just out of love with food right now, I think. Ugh.

And: just got asked out on another date. That's right, robotarmy's still got it. And this guy's tall too, which is rad because I'm 5'10". Ohhh weeiiirddd...get this: between W30s didn't get asked out. But did during the 1st one and then today on day 1 of #2...it happened again. I think I see a connection haha ;)

Breakfast: banana

2nd breakfast: banana

Elevensies: none

Lunch: salad w grass-fed steak, heirloom tomato, local lettuce, dressed in balsamic vinegar and black pepper

Pre WO: tuna

Post WO: tuna, dates, kombucha, Daily Show

Workout. Was. Brutal. We were required to lie down after it, and nobody moved for a long time. I've never been so happy to lie on a dirty gym floor, making a sweat angel. Yikes.

Pre and post WO: Larabar

Breakfast: salmon with kalamata olives and slivered almonds

Lunch: 3 seared sea scallops with sauteed scallions and parsley

Dinner: sashimi platter

Late night: the greatest salad of all time. lettuce (don't remember what kind), minced onion, heirloom tomato, cucumber, and smoked clams. Dressing: olive oil, ACV, W30 compliant mustard

Workout: awesome. Post-WO: 3 mile run.

General state of mind: really positive. Relaxed. Happy. Inspired. When I was running today, the U2 classic "Mysterious Ways" came up on my iPod. It's my favorite U2 song. Absolutely. And there's a line in it that says, "If you want to kiss the sky, better learn how to kneel." We all know this. Everyone knows this song. But there's a reason I'm saying this. The song came on right as I was struggling--the sun was warm, I needed some calories, and I was pushing my pace. I was in a walking break (which I haven't needed in 3 miles in a long time) when the song started. In the 2nd verse when they got to that line I realized: I want to kiss the sky and I'm learning how to kneel. I want to be physically amazing: strong and healthy. And every time I struggle, hit the wall, or work to failure, I'm learning to kneel. Because only through the struggle will I become strong enough to rise up and kiss the sky.

Kind of cheesy and gross, I know. But seriously. I'm learning amazing life lessons.

4 days into #2. Amazing.

Breakfast: grass-fed chuck roast in tomato sauce w/ yams

Lunch: same

Dinner: sauteed broccoli with salmon and slivered almonds. Finished off w/ a squirt of spicy paleo mayo.

Workout: anytime the world "burpees" is included in an AMRAP (As Many Rounds As Possible, to be accomplished in a certain amount of time), a part of me dies. But doing things I'm weak and bad at makes me stronger. Learning to kneel, right?

General demeanor: good. Feeling great. Feeling powerful. Had the day off work today because of Presidents Day, and I feel excited to take on what this week will bring me :) Trying to set up a date with dude who asked me out, and in some pretty intense talks with another guy. Goals for this Whole30, besides eating clean and ruling: exercising discipline and remembering to do the opposite of what the naysayer voice says.

Oh! I forgot to mention: I also joined a couple of meetup.com groups and am attending a paleo event this Thursday. The naysayer said not to, so I immediately RSVPd yes. If there's anyone in my area (Phx) who'd like to go, let me know :)

Day 5 of W30 #2: done. Food: good. Workout: hard.

Breakfast: Larabar and orange

Lunch: grass-fed steak and sauteed broccoli

Dinner: mussels and sardines with slivered almonds and nori, topped with spicy paleo mayo

Pre WO: Larabar

Post WO: tuna in olive oil with slivered almonds, olives, and W30 compliant mustard (this combo is fast becoming a favorite of mine)

I know I'm super dependent on Larabars. It's just the convenience. I should just buy some dates and nuts and make my own. I've done it before, I just don't have a very good food processor.

I mentioned before that I don't have a huge sweet tooth. It's true, I like sweet things now and again, but not desserts so much. So the sugar dragon isn't what I'm slaying. Oh no, instead of dessert, I would cut someone for a couple of crunchy tacos right now, with fresh pico, crisp cold lettuce, and fresh chips and salsa. That's my dragon, and it likes to rear its head about this time every month. I love salty, crispy things. And I really wish I could have some right now. But making or finding paleo crunchy/salty snacks, or making tacos with lettuce wraps instead of tortillas...that's hardcore SWYPO for me. So I'm avoiding.

General demeanor: mentally, emotionally, physically: I feel amazing. Just got beat up at the gym, can't wait to keep living life!

Edit: forgot to mention, having lunch with tall guy on Sunday. Fun! Bonus: he CFs and runs too, so hopefully I won't have to explain paleo or W30 to him...haha

Day 7! Yay!

Breakfast: ? What did I eat? I think a Larabar and an orange

Lunch: grass-fed steak and sauteed swiss chard

Dinner: 2 cans tuna, 1 can sardines, slivered almonds, olives

I need more veggies.

Worked late, traffic was a nightmare, so no CF today. It's okay, the rest will do me good. I'm going tomorrow and Saturday. 4x is good. I can run a little bit too.

General demeanor: good. I'm tired. Worked til 9 tonight and can't wait to crawl into bed. Here's to 3 more weeks of amazing!

Day 8 in the bag! Yes!

Breakfast: Larabar and orange

Lunch: the most amazing salad, which included peacock kale (beautiful purple), carrots, chioggia beets, radishes, tuna, and olives. Dressed with the olive oil from the tuna and the juice from half a lemon. Yes, my lunch was the most coveted thing in the break room.

Pre WO: Larabar

Dinner: lamb chops and sauteed broccoli

I'm a little puffier than I'd like to be, and I can't tell if it's because I'm eating too much or because it's time for me to be all bloated. At any rate, I feel really good. CrossFit is getting easier (sometimes) so I know I'm getting stronger and am now able to handle more weight. I mean, I did 100 pushups today. And yeah they were girl pushups, and I can't get all the way down to the floor after the first 20 or so, but I'm getting better!

Okay so: I feel like I'm eating too much, so is it time to scale back a little? What do you all think?

I think the Larabars are probably a contributing to you feeling bloated, especially two in one day. I've been addicted to them lately and went through a phase where I had maybe three within two days and some fruit. I felt gross the next day, put some weight back on, and just didn't have a lot of energy. I'd try adding protein to the breakfast - do you like hard boiled eggs? It's also easy to heat up some leftover chili (I tend to make a pot of Chocolate Chili and eat it for breakfast a couple days of the week). Also including some veggies for breakfast might be helpful and depending which ones, could help with bloat. Broccoli, brussels sprouts, and cauliflower are all known to cause bloating.

Good job on the push ups! I'm envious!

Hey ashleycolette, thanks for the reply :)

Ugh, I KNOW, the Larabars!! They're just nice and easy on my stomach first thing in the AM. I'm trying to find the right balance of what to eat when, too. I hate eating breakfast, so that's why I eat something so light first thing in the day (and by first thing I mean 2 hours after I get up--I just can't eat before then). But maybe I should consider getting some protein in then...I eat a ton of protein at lunch and dinner and haven't been feeling like it at breakfast. I could definitely try to move some protein around though--will let you know how it goes :)

Day 10! Completely back in the swing of it. Bloating gone (it was lady times bloating) and I feel amazing. What did I eat today? Hmmm. Spaghetti squash, green chile chicken, dates, pecans. I really need dates to go out of season. It's just that you can get them here fresh off the palm trees, and they are to die for.

Speaking of dates...going out for sushi with a new guy tomorrow. Going in with no expectations beyond having a good lunch and a good time. Would be nice to get a little farther than a first date... ;) haha. Again, will definitely report back on my Whole30 eating choices. And there will be the inevitable date details.

Workout was good today--trainer had an 'open gym' day, where people could come in and work on whatever they wanted. There were 3 workouts posted on the board, and I chose deadlifts+bench presses followed by rowing and burpees. It was for time, but because it was all freestyle I took it as an opportunity to practice. I've been thinking a lot about how the entire body is involved in each lift; because we hold the bar in our hands, it's so easy to think, "Oh, I'm lifting with my hands/arms/shoulders/chest." But the whole body is engaged, right through the feet. Lots to think about there for me.

Anyway. Bedtime. Good night, my Whole30 friends!

Today was a first rate day. Got stuff done in the morning, went on my date, and had an amazing time at work this evening.

Breakfast: herring, olives, mustard

Lunch: sashimi

Mid-afternoon at work: Larabar

Dinner: grass-fed roast with veggies in tomato sauce

Date: really really nice. Dude was burnt out from a huge race over the weekend, but was super cute and fun&easy to talk to. At the end he gave me a hug and told me to text him or call him anytime. I have no idea if that's good or not, but I'm going to text him tomorrow to let him know that I think it would be cool to see him again. You see, robotarmy is a straight shooter: no communication games. I'm an adult.

General demeanor: fantastic. Optimistic. Can't wait to take on tomorrow!

Keep your fingers crossed for robotarmy!

I don't remember what I ate today, it was boring. Oh yeah, I forgot my lunch and so I ate a can of tuna and a can of salmon at work. And then some grass-fed roast with tomato sauce at home. Oh and so I texted dude from yesterday and he gets back to me that some woman he's interested in calls him up last night and he had no idea she was interested but now he's going to date her. Awesome. Have I mentioned how much I like being single in my 30s? :rolleyes:

And listen, I know that this is my Whole30 log and not my personal blog, but I mention this because of the way I dealt with it. In the past I would have gone for tacos and beer and watched tv while feeling sorry for myself. But today I went home, grabbed a quick pre-WO meal and went to CrossFit, where I graduated from ring dip negatives to assisted ring dips (on only my 2nd ring dip workout!) and also graduated from jumping on plates to jumping on the box. It starts with food, people. Get used to fueling yourself right and you'll make good decisions when bad habits want to rear their ugly heads.

And so I soldier on, getting healthier, stronger, and more amazing. Disciplined even when motivation leaves me.

Archived