robotarmy's whole30

robotarmy

Hi. I'm new to the forums here. I'm starting a Whole30 today. In the last 4 months, I've dropped 30 pounds doing about 80/20 paleo eating, which is so amazing I think it's time to see what 100% can do for me!

Due to a hectic work schedule I haven't been making time for the workouts, but I'm eager to try CrossFit, and that's one of my goals for January. Part of me thinks, "OMG, don't try it out in January, you'll piss off all the people who have been doing it for a long time. They'll think that you're just one of those flaky people who starts working out after New Year's and then quits." But the thing is...I really want to. And I hate that little naysayer in my head with a fiery passion. The only thing I can do to stop it is do all the things it tells me I can't. I know I'd suck at CrossFit at first, but I have a lot of potential power in my body and I'd like to see just how much. Trying it for the first time is one of my goals to achieve during the Whole30.

I'm 5'10" and started 2013 weighing 199.8. Am super excited for the Whole30 to help me kick my health up to a whole new level of amazing!

Breakfast: braised kale and swiss chard, chicken

Lunch: broccoli salad with salmon

Snack: broccoli salad with salmon

Dinner: (out, at Claim Jumper) house salad: ordered without bacon, cheese, or croutons, dressed with olive oil and balsamic vinegar...LAME

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats on the 30lbs!! That's huge!

Shut that little voice in your head up. Crossfit gyms are typically very very welcoming, regardless of when you join!

I agree - CF gyms have a variety of experience and skill levels and fitness abilities. The best of them will make sure you feel comfortable in the class - as well as work with you to ensure your progress and safety in the class.

Thanks for the encouragement--I just emailed the local CrossFit to see when I could drop in for a class!

I was just looking at the Whole30 timeline, to refresh my memory about what to expect on day 2. I don't feel hungover, but I do feel kind of blah. Partly because I know I'm hungry and I need to eat breakfast, but also phlegmy and weird. That's something that happens to me when I eat off plan, so I should have expected it. But I'm going to drink my tea and decide what to have for breakfast.

This is kind of cool: I have some family in town for the weekend, and they haven't always been 100% supportive about me eating paleo, which has resulted in many (MANY) cheat meals in their presence. But for our meals out today they asked, "So are there any paleo restaurants here? Where can we take you so that you can eat?" So we're checking out a place called Nourish 123 in Scottsdale, which claims to accommodate all kinds of dietary restrictions, including paleo. Cool.

Breakfast: braised greens with chicken

Lunch: salmon, grilled veggies, and spaghetti squash

Dinner: lunch leftovers

Okay can I tell you about the completely badass day I had? Checked out this restaurant in Scottsdale (Nourish) that accommodates vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free, and (supposedly) paleo. Guess what. It's true. Everything on the menu is clearly labeled as to who can eat what. I got wild caught salmon, grilled veggies, and spaghetti squash. Whole30 compliant. I actually felt inner joy because I didn't have to resort to ordering a hamburger without a bun or a salad with some sad looking chicken thrown on top.

And AND they're having a paleo tasting menu on Wednesday!! I'm so going. Already registered. And you know why? Because the naysayer in my head said, "Oh no, don't go...you might be busy that night." So I told the naysayer to stuff it and registered for the dinner on my phone while I was sitting at the table.

Finally, there's this: I'm oficially starting CrossFit Monday!!! I'm not sure the world is entirely ready for the new and improved robotarmy. But the world is just going to have to deal.

Very cool! I live in tucson but travel a lot to the Phoenix area for work so I will have to try nourish 123! I started my whole 30 on December 26 and one of my 30 day goals was to join a crossfit gym. I joined January 2nd and have done two wods and it was love at first thruster. The gym I joined is super welcoming and friendly to newcomers. I had to repeat to myself "everyone starts somewhere" over and over on my way into the gym to sign up. Don't forget that everyone is a newbie at everything at some point!

Cool! You might meet some interesting folks there too!

That's what I'm hoping--there's a whole big world out there with some cool people in it! And I'm hoping to find more of a paleo community here in Phoenix.

Very cool! I live in tucson but travel a lot to the Phoenix area for work so I will have to try nourish 123! I started my whole 30 on December 26 and one of my 30 day goals was to join a crossfit gym. I joined January 2nd and have done two wods and it was love at first thruster. The gym I joined is super welcoming and friendly to newcomers. I had to repeat to myself "everyone starts somewhere" over and over on my way into the gym to sign up. Don't forget that everyone is a newbie at everything at some point!

That's super encouraging to hear! I'm looking forward to the group dynamic. And you are so right--we're all beginners at everything at some point. Will totally take those words to heart as I go for the first time tomorrow!

Breakfast: braised greens with chicken

Lunch: raided the freezer for leftover Thanksgiving turkey

Afternoon: hiked 5 miles

Dinner: a little more turkey and I have a stew simmering on the stove with lots of stuff to get me ready for tomorrow, my first CrossFit day!

Afternoon hike was amazing. Beautiful day. Day 3 of the Whole30 has been great. Back to work after holiday vacation tomorrow!

Back at work...oh man did the alarm come early this morning!

Breakfast: broccoli salad with salmon

Lunch: curry beef stew

Dinner: same as lunch

This evening: first CrossFit class! It was awesome. I'm so glad I went! Going to feel it tomorrow, though...

Made it through 4 days of the Whole30 so far! Exclamation points!!

Hey I am in the Phoenix are too and I do Crossfit. I am glad you are enjoying it so far! It's addicting! Hey, I really wanna try Nourish, sounds like a great place! What time are they having their Paleo tasting tomorrow? I can definitely go if its after 5pm

Hey I am in the Phoenix are too and I do Crossfit. I am glad you are enjoying it so far! It's addicting! Hey, I really wanna try Nourish, sounds like a great place! What time are they having their Paleo tasting tomorrow? I can definitely go if its after 5pm

It's at 6:30! Here's the info--I think you have to reserve in advance, but it was super easy.

http://nourish123.com/calendar/62/29-I-heart-cholesterol/

It seems there is also a lecture involved, just FYI...let me know if you end up going--I'll be there!

Morning of day 6! Last night I went for a run after work. The first run I've gone on since a messy breakup over the summer. It felt fantastic!

Today I'm finishing up the same foods I've been eating at work for the last couple days, but am finishing the day with the paleo dinner at Nourish 123 in Scottsdale! That means I'm missing my second CF class tonight, but the trainer and I are trying to schedule a private session to go over what I missed.

There was some food temptation yesterday...I don't have a sweet tooth, but I do love salty things. And oh man did I want some good chips and salsa yesterday as I drove home from work. The naysayer in my head said, "It's okay, just do it." But since I'm not listening to that anymore, I drove home, ate real food, and went running.

Time for breakfast! And work. Viva day 6!

So I've been thinking about how we're not supposed to 'paleo-ify' junk foods to make them fit into the Whole30. What if you don't eat those things anyway? I don't have a sweet tooth, so I almost never eat dessert. Seriously, maybe 1 or 2 times a year. So I know the program page says "This means no desserts or junk food made with 'approved' ingredients..." but at dinner tonight, because I almost never have dessert, I had a taste of some fruit/date bars with nuts in them. As a non-dessert eater, I didn't feel that I was replacing "real" dessert with paleo dessert, I was just eating nuts and berries as the 3rd course of a meal. It didn't feel like SWYPO, but was it? Any thoughts? I know I don't have to start over completely, but I'll probably go 36 days now, just to fulfill my perfectionist desires.

I had a taste of some fruit/date bars with nuts in them. As a non-dessert eater, I didn't feel that I was replacing "real" dessert with paleo dessert, I was just eating nuts and berries as the 3rd course of a meal. It didn't feel like SWYPO, but was it? Any thoughts?

I found this discussion earlier today, and it was a help to me because I had a few bites of potato on Day 2 before I realized they weren't compliant and a couple of days later I unthinkingly used regular bacon grease to roast Brussels sprouts.

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/5756-restart-if-its-something-i-wont-reintroduce/page__hl__restart__fromsearch__1

• Moderators

As a non-dessert eater, I didn't feel that I was replacing "real" dessert with paleo dessert, I was just eating nuts and berries as the 3rd course of a meal. It didn't feel like SWYPO, but was it? Any thoughts? I know I don't have to start over completely, but I'll probably go 36 days now, just to fulfill my perfectionist desires.

Context matters and, given your context, I would say you were just eating a 3rd course of your meal.

I found this discussion earlier today, and it was a help to me because I had a few bites of potato on Day 2 before I realized they weren't compliant and a couple of days later I unthinkingly used regular bacon grease to roast Brussels sprouts.

http://forum.whole9l...__fromsearch__1

Very helpful, thank you! How's the first week going for you? It's almost over!

Context matters and, given your context, I would say you were just eating a 3rd course of your meal.

Thanks! The mods on this forum are seriously the best :)

It's going OK for me. I'm working hard to keep up with all the fresh produce we bought earlier in the week and to have food for a busy weekend. I don't know how young working moms can keep up, I was there for many years and it's CRAZY, so my hat is off to them.

My husband (who has celiac) is loving it and has never felt better, so that's a huge, huge reward for me.

You are right about the moderators--they are truly awesome.

Have a great Day 6!

Day 8 under way!

Breakfast: banana (not hungry)

Lunch: eggs&salmon, bok choi sautéed with Meyer lemon juice (very hungry)

I'm going to have to figure out when I can stop at the store and find something to eat later today...I brought enough food to get me through a normal day, but CF is making me ravenous. I knew that would happen, I just didn't plan well for it this morning.

What to do when on the go? I know I can pick up some fruit and raw nuts. Any other interesting ideas out there? I won't be home until 8:30 or so...and it's only 11am!

• Moderators

I have begun buying cans of tuna with a pull top to eat as post-workout meals. They travel well and I am happy to eat a whole can in one sitting. The owners of my CrossFit gym asked me to stop eating sardines in the building, so I had to switch to something else.

I have begun buying cans of tuna with a pull top to eat as post-workout meals. They travel well and I am happy to eat a whole can in one sitting. The owners of my CrossFit gym asked me to stop eating sardines in the building, so I had to switch to something else.

Oh man, I am a sardine freak. I should take some to CF and just chow down after the workout...I'll look for those tuna cans though! Thanks for the suggestion!

Breakfast: grabbed a few dates and pecans

Lunch: stew with roasted cauliflower

Spending most of the day cooking, preparing for the week ahead. Made a stew with grass-fed beef, onion, garlic, yams, carrots, canned tomatoes (found a brand at Whole Foods that's tomatoes only), and coconut milk. Currently roasting cauliflower. Next will make meatballs with grass-fed ground beef and lamb. Have lots of produce from my CSA to sort through, so hopefully it will all be prepared, frozen, or stored by tomorrow afternoon.

No CF today, letting my body rest. Drinking a kombucha and watching Battlestar Galactica.

1/4 of the way through the Whole30, and feeling fantastic.

I was just reading this thread about having a non-supportive partner: http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/5783-non-supportive-partner/

It takes me back to when I first started eating paleo. My bf at the time was kind of supportive. Kind of. But when I tried to get really into it, he resisted and gave me crap about it. I wanted so badly to break free from the SAD way of life and eat clean. But every meal with him turned into a cheat of some kind. I wanted so badly to try CrossFit. But he discoruaged me, telling me I didn't know what I was in for, that I would get my butt kicked. When I would be down/moody/having a bad day and was in need of encouragement, he would ask me if it was paleo that was causing my problems.

After many years together, we split last summer. I was absolutely heartbroken. Despondent. But now? As I make 100% clean food choices and pursue the activities I've been missing out on? I've never felt more content and free.

Archived