Day 14; becoming scared of foods i like

Today begins my Day 14.  I am loving the Whole30 plan, in that it is very clear cut, the rules make sense and are easy to follow.  I am happy to be taking control of what I cook and eat.  Here is my issue and I am wondering if this is normal or what I can do about it.  I love sweet potatoes.  I love nuts and fruit.   What a joy to be on an eating plan that includes things I enjoy, right?  Okay, but in my mind if I like it, then it has to be avoided.  I'll cave and have the sweet potatoes with my egg muffins and salad and avocado at breakfast.  I might have half of an orange once or twice a week with a handful of nuts at lunch (alongside lunch, not AS lunch)..... but then I worry all day about it.  Like if I LIKE IT, maybe I shouldn't be eating it.  Does anyone else feel like that?  What is wrong with me!  

Also, any words of advice on why I am feeling so sad would be great.  I sometimes feel like I want to eat (I know its just that I want to 'snack' at work at like 10:30 because that is what I always did); and then sometimes I can't even look at my meal.  I'd rather just skip it and lay down.  Plus even though I know it is completely unrealistic after just 2 weeks, I feel like I was hoping to see or feel a little different (better) by now.   I am just kind of frustrated and sad about it.   I read the Whole30 book and I just ordered the It Starts With Food book because I am hoping it helps me to understand why I am feeling this way towards food and towards myself.   

I don't know maybe I am just looking to hear from someone who has felt this way too.  Does it get better?

• Moderators

This is all totally normal!  Society and the diet industry basically tell us that if we’re on a ‘diet’ (which this is not!) then it’s going to be boring, bland food and certainly none of the things we really like and when we DO eat those, we’re probably ‘cheating’ or have ‘fallen off’ the program.  In reality, these things you list are food… complete nutritous foods with vitamins, minerals, fibre etc… they’re nothing you should feel guilty about but knowing that you do, it’s definitely a good opportunity to really sit down and consider why you feel guilty.  What was your eating like in the past, what have you been told by magazines, your parents, your friends etc… about how you should feel about food and how can you work towards a healthier mindset about food in general so that you don’t have feelings of guilt… there’s no morality in food – just choices that you make (paraphrasing Melissa Hartwig Urban’s InstaStories here).

Second, feeling sad is also very normal and often it’s food grief… here’s a great article that might be helpful https://whole30.com/2012/01/the-five-stages-of-food-grief/ .

Third, it’s a 30 day program, not a 14 day program .  Be patient and stay the course.  The one thing I will say is that if you’re feeling this added stress about guilt, possible grief and sadness, that’s going to make a difference in your hormones and how your body is currently reacting – stress of any kind is always a factor in how we feel so the fact that you’ve got these emotions going on could be directly related to any changes you may or may not see.

SugarCubeOD.... thank you so much.  I will read that link!  I do worry and get caught in self-doubt but you have given me lots of 'food for thought' and things to consider and I really appreciate it.  It helps me to know that I am not abnormal for these feelings.  Honestly, it was getting me more upset to think about maybe I was alone in this.  Thank you again for the reply and I will keep reading around to refocus and 'stay the course'.  

Just eat the sweet potatoes!  A lot of people, especially women, especially if you have depression, especially depending on where you are in your cycle, especially if you're active, benefit from more starchy carbs.

Also, it can be beneficial to be aware of the language you're using.  "Cave" for instance, implies that you are doing something wrong or......you're giving your body necessary nutrients to be alive, it's not a bad thing.  I "choose" to eat sweet potatoes. I'm "excited" to eat sweet potatoes.  I'm fueling my body for awesome things with sweet potatoes!

Also, make sure you look at the meal template and make sure you're matching it as much as you can, if you're undereating or unbalanced somewhere else, it'll affect how you feel.

(Fun "I love sweet potatoes so much story" - I was once on a 3 week group camping trip, about two weeks in somebody asked what we missed the most.  I thought (or assumed) they were talking about what food I missed the most, and I said roasted sweet potatoes.  Everybody stared and me and asked "Really?  Not friends or family or pets or home or...."  They had meant anything, not food.  But yeah, I missed sweet potatoes.)

Archived