Day 2-3...now day 5 "The hangover"

ersupple

Hi everyone! I am on day 5 of my first ever Whole30! It is going really well with eating and meal planning, etc. We were really prepared. However, I have been in "the hangover" phase since day 3. It's bad. My back hurts (which never hurts), I am achey, tired, irritable, and my throat is very sore (WTF?) What gives? Is there anything I can do to get through this phase?  Or do I need to just wait it out? I was fairly healthy before the program, running and doing yoga regularly (neither of which I can do right now) and eating kale and very few processed foods. So, I am a bit surprised I feel this crappy. HELP! 

Thanks for your response, sugarcubeOD. I was thinking that too, but it has been carrying on for 3 days now without progressing into anything. I really think it is the hangover phase... just looking for dietary tips to help improve symptoms. I have been drinking lots of water!

• Moderators

If you would like tips on how to change what you're eating to see if that helps, we'd need to know what you're eating now... portion sizes, specific veggies, fruit, fat and protein, meal timing etc...

It could be that your immune system is just well enough to hold off coming down with something... that happens quite a bit - not quite sick, not quite well... 

So far eggs, sweet potatoes, avocado, and blueberries for breakfast, salad (kale, carrots, tomato, peppers, cucumbers, sometimes with egg and avocado) and clementine for lunch, dinners have included pork meatballs and cauliflower rice, chicken stirfry with veggies, chicken stew with veggies, and for snacks I have had carrots, nuts (cashews, macadamia and walnuts), hardboiled eggs, clementines, carrots, and grapes. Maybe I need more fat and protein?

• Moderators

Ya, it looks like maybe you're not eating enough overall - your lunch only sometimes has an egg?  The recommendation is 1-2 palms of protein at every meal, or eggs if your sole source of protein are as many as you can hold in one hand without dropping... for most people that's 3-4 to start.  Your dinners don't list fat and the fact that you're needing to eat snacks is also an indication you're not eating enough at every meal.  Take a look again at the meal template and try and make all three meals a day match.  In the meantime if you need to eat between meals, make it protein and fat and maybe cut down on the nuts - they can be troublesome...

Archived