Slow Roll Clarification

Savanna Jaynie

HI! I am finishing my second Whole 30. Technically, my fiancé and I are on day 32. I want to do a Slow Roll reintroduction, and do it correctly. The Day by Day book talks about reintroducing maple bacon, noticing no negative side effects, then adding it back into normal rotation. However, I would love some clarification on a few things:

1. During a Slow Roll, do I need to cut out the one item I add back in (bacon or coffee creamer, for example) for 2 days like you do with food groups in the Fast Track version, or can I just add it back into my normal life (That is, assuming there are no undesirable effects.)?

2. If I am comfortable adding one of those items back into my normal routine after I evaluate it's side effects, do I need to take it back out when I evaluate the other? If I add my coffee creamer back and have no issues, can I have it at the same time I'm evaluating the bacon, since I already know how I feel about the creamer? I would think that it would be fine, but I'm not the professional!

Thank you very much, in advance!

• Moderators

So, in the slow roll reintroduction, things that are mostly savory, but have added sugar, like maple bacon or maybe ketchup or salad dressing with some honey or sugar in it, you can have when you want to, but that is specifically items where the only non-whole30 ingredient is sweetener. These things are unlikely to be sweet enough to cause cravings, and they don't have any other ingredients that you'd be reintroducing. 

When you reintroduce any non-whole30 ingredient other than sugar or sweeteners, you still want to just have one of those ingredients at a time, and you still want at least two days between reintroducing different items.

This article explains it more:  https://whole30.com/2014/09/dear-melissa-slow-reintroduction-roll/ 

I do have one more clarifying question. I just want to do this right!

If I am moving right along with my W30-ish lifestyle (compliant except for the added sugars in some things) do I need to cut out the maple bacon in the morning if I’m trying one portion of something else (a side of rice, bread, etc.) later in the day and then return to totally W30 for two days or can I keep the bacon and nothing else for the 2 days? I think I’m making this too complicated. Thank you, again!

Archived