No spleen & Aspirin

Brandon

I have no spleen. I take 325mg of aspirin daily to maintain a normal platelet count. I am about to start my first whole30. I understand that “doctors orders come first” but I have a few questions...

Is there a way around taking aspirin for me?

Are there brands of aspirin without undesirable inactive ingredients?

if I have to take aspirin, to what degree will it effect my whole30? Can I really do it properly while taking aspirin? 

• Moderators

Nobody here is a doctor, we cannot advise you about going against doctor's orders. If you're concerned about taking aspirin, talk to your doctor about other options. If you feel like your doctor isn't taking your concerns seriously or you aren't sure you trust their advice, find a different doctor.

There may be aspirins that have fewer ingredients, but know that sometimes the ingredients serve a purpose, for instance, some of the extra ingredients may be in a coating to help buffer the aspirin to help prevent it causing stomach upset, so it may not be worth switching to a version without it. Speak to either your doctor or a pharmacist about what options may be available. 

Doing a whole30, even while taking aspirin with non-whole30 ingredients, can definitely still be beneficial, especially if it's a big change from how you normally eat. 

Thank you very much for such a thoughtful reply! It’s the best I’ve received so far in other forums. It sounds like I can move forward without being discouraged that my whole30 is seriously compromised. That is my fear. I’d hate to do all the work just to find out that it isn’t a “real” whole30. 

27 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Thank you very much for such a thoughtful reply! It’s the best I’ve received so far in other forums. It sounds like I can move forward without being discouraged that my whole30 is seriously compromised. That is my fear. I’d hate to do all the work just to find out that it isn’t a “real” whole30. 

Hi Brandon, I regularly take aspirin to deal with side effects of other medication I'm on which are also pretty disruptive to the body. It never occurred to me that my meds might mess up my Whole 30 and, having just started reintro, I'm so glad I did it! 

Interesting, Schrodinger. Thanks for sharing that and congratulations on your success!!! I guess I’m wanting to understand to what extent something like aspirin will alter the whole30 but it may be difficult to get that information. But it’s really good to know that some are having success even if they still need to take it. I know it’s off plan. 

Archived