Day 5 musings

suzytee

Well, I am still finding my way around this blog and just typed this whole thing in my update...each time I come here I have to relearn where to post...but....it's Day 5 of the family's first Whole30! I thought I would update. I am doing great....not missing my dark chocolate too much. But I started after thanksgiving gradually cutting back (as much as one can at Christmas) and though I occasionally think about where I kept it I know I will make it though. Today is the first Saturday though and am missing our weekly Saturday Breakfast out. I think that maybe next week I will try to remake it here with a special breakfast and see if we can all sit down today. Might just end up being a new family tradition. Hubby is having the hardest time, but then he has the most to give up, tobacco, alcohol, sugar, type 1 diabetic, former anorexia/bulimic....eeeek! He was excited about trying this but has been lethargic and hungry. He is a grazer and after once being obese, he doesn't like eating large amounts...so I told him to graze....we only have good food to graze on. He is tired today so I cooked his breakfast....he said the smell of coconut oil made him lose his appetite...whoops! Today I am making ghee and mayonnaise and kale chips! We definitely need something creamy like today. 30 year old mentally challenged (high functioning ) son is doing pretty well, but he is a prisoner without much choice. He loves all the food though and being able to eat as much as he likes. He is obese so has the biggest need for healthy weight loss. He really wants to weigh in and since he is a product of huge amounts of behavior modification, I just might let him check in and see how he is doing. I think he really needs the motivation. He had a wee meltdown as well but is better now. I feel like a cruise director...checking in on everyone...wearing bright cheery colors today. It's certainly helpful to know that all this is to be expected.

We are cooking our first grass fed beef brisket tonight and I'm hoping that we do it right especially after the price I paid. I have looked up paleo cooking ideas ...it's too late for the crock pot so we'll have to do it in the oven.

I feel good....hope I"m not loosing too much weight. I upped the poundage on the weights yesterday so that should help. I am starting to enjoy the taste of herbal tea with honey to cover it up. We have continued to go to our little coffee shop though it's loaded with sweets.My husband is retired so this is the daily start to our errands...I have tried expresso with coconut milk ( it's okay?) and coffee with coconut milk as well...had some herbal tea yesterday...we always read the paper there and visit with friends so it seems important to keep this in our day. We love to eat out and that is a big change for us but we will learn how to fit it back in once our 30 is over. So on to day 5 and we are all looking forward to our Brisket tonight. Kudos' to all my fellow Whole30-ites. Keep it up!!

My husband and I are missing our first breakfast out too but it hasn't been so bad. We are just now starting a new tradition of a more involved and fancy home cooked breakfast! I'm on day 4 so we're at about the same place. I'll be tuning in to your log to see how you're doing : )

Just continue to add to this or your original log. :) Don't feel bad if not many respond. I am bad at reading and responding to logs You need to drop the honey While it is acceptable in the Paleo world, it is not acceptable during your W30. Sorry. :(

Hi Suzytee: I'm on Day 5, too, and I just wanted to encourage you. There are some delicious things to celebrate about the Whole30 approach, such as grass-fed beef, OPEN handfuls of olives, avocados and macadamia nuts. Good luck, and enjoy your brisket tonight!

• Moderators

Hi Suzy,

Grazing during a Whole30 is not specifically prohibited, but it is a bad idea. The goal is to get to 3 meals per day. I started with 5 or 6 and worked down to 3 meals over 12 to 15 months. Our bodies are setup for a certain hormonal rhythm and grazing messes with that rhythm. The best hormonal rhythm is achieved by eating a big breakfast with an hour of waking in the morning, spacing subsequent meals 4 to 5 hours apart, and eating a final meal about 2 hours before going to sleep. I understand fear of eating big meals, but, ironically, grazing is not a good way to maintain a healthy weight.

Susan mentioned it, but I'll say more. The way logs work is that you keep updating your original log. All the information needs to be in one place, not spread across 30. I don't know why, but lots of people starting in January have been starting a new log every day and we need to get everyone working with one log.

That's interesting about having to work your way down to 3 meals. I'm guilty of eating VERY often pre-Whole30. I guess it doesn't happen over night. However, I'm definitely going 4-5 hours these past few days instead of every 2-3 without being ravenous!

Thanks for all the wonderful feedback...I miss typed about the honey...meant to say "without the honey to cover it up" That probably makes more sense. Thanks for the advice on more food less meals. We both know that is the optimum, but in the first days it can be a gradual change...it's mostly psychological and he gets annoyed when I push...so I'm taking what I can get. I agree...the new joys are, the grass fed beef and avocados ( a whole new love for me). Never had a macadamia nut before now. They are amazing. I need to find some raw without flour covering them. And I'm just enjoying spending more time investing in what we eat. It feels so good!! I understand about posting in the same blog...it's just that I have trouble finding it...but each day I'll get better.

Archived