Bill and Eileen's Excellent Whole30 Adventure

EileenRBe

My husband and I started our first ever Whole30 today. My goal is to lose holiday/vacation weight, increase my energy levels, and just all-around feel better.

Breakfast was two eggs oven-baked over spinach with Italian herbs and some crispy crumbled side pork sprinkled on top. Also a half Clementine and coffee. Dee-lish.

Lunch was a big salad with arugula, cabbage, avo, cauliflower, macadamias, leftover sliced beef tenderloin, and balsamic & olive oil dressing with herbes de Provence. Yum.

Snack was trail mix of hazelnuts, macadamias, gojis, mulberries (small percentage), and cacao nibs. I needed the snack!

Supper was chicken breast, roasted asparagus, and a few bits of leftover red potatoes, the spuds eaten before realizing they're a no-no. Being an oops not a cheat, I'm not planning on starting over, but I might want to extend out an extra day at the end.

A good day!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I ate more on our first day than I normally eat. It was all good food but still, not like I'm going to starve on this program. I had a much better breakfast than I normally do.

For me, part of the need to get on this program is to continue my healing process from Celiac disease. I found out nearly two years ago that I've been fighting Celiac for many years. Getting off the wheat, barley and rye made me feel lots better. But my tummy still hurts quite often in the morning. It's not like it used to be with the horrible gas and bloating. Just an uncomfortable feeling, that indicates there's still something in my diet that shouldn't be.

Also, I want to lose my sugar jones. I've tried getting off sugar before, but this is the time to kick it for sure. Since Eileen is also doing the whole 30, together we should be able to kick some of these long standing addictions. One problem with that sugar monkey is that it helps me keep my weight up some. For my size, I'm fairly light (6'3" and 170#). I can lose weight much too easily, and when I do lose weight, I start to get weak and woozy.

I had a banana for breakfast this morning. I'm not sure whether I will have to completely give up fruit to kick the sugar monkey, but I'll be watching that.

After the first day and a half, I feel great. No tummy ache this morning. I also did my aerobic exercise this morning, and that always improves my outlook.

Day 2 accomplished!!

Breakfast: hard boiled egg, banana

Brunch: 2 fried eggs, 2 strips side pork, sweet potato home fries, 1/2 clementine, coffee

Snack: trail mix, same as yesterday

Supper: tuna salad of homemade mayo, black and green olives, & dill pickle, on greens tossed with vinaigrette (oil & balsamic)

I felt really good this morning. I did get hungry this afternoon so had trail mix. My food was super yummy and my mayo worked the first time & didn't break. Now to prep some food for the week.

Day 3. We both had vivid dreams. I'm a little crabby and lethargic. I feel hungry and not hungry both at the same time.

Thanks for the tip to eat more veg, Derval. Now that you mention it I can see that there could be another veg in most of the meals so far.

Breakfast: 2 baked eggs (spinach, egg, side pork), 1/2 clementine, coffee

Lunch: turkey salad (turkey, homemade mayo, olives, pickle) on greens with vinegar oil dressing

Snack: trail mix, coffee

Supper: artichokes with mayo, crockpot roast with thyme and sun-dried tomato, Brussels sprouts roasted with bacon fat and figs

Day 4.

Eating more veg. Energy level fair, mood pretty good. Alternately hungry and not. Thank you, Whole30 that I can still have coffee. I forgot how much I like it black.

Breakfast: scrambled eggs (mostly whites, left over from making mayo), sauteed red & green pepper & onion, 1/2 clementine, coffee.

Lunch: leftover roast beef, 1/2 avo, a dab of mayo, on veggies & greens with vinaigrette

Snack: veggie sticks.

Supper: Broiled salmon, sauteed chard w cherry tomatoes & pecans (awesome!), broiled cabbage, kombucha.

All day: lots of tea.

Day 6.

Monster headache in the morning--withdrawal from Monday afternoon coffee, probably. I'm used to one but not two coffees in a day.

Feeling less hungry. Eating more veg.

Having a few hot flashes. I'm 2 years post-change and haven't had any recently; hormones re-setting maybe?

Late lunch (didn't feel like eating until noonish): sauteed peppers and onion, baked egg (spinach, egg, side pork), 1/2 clementine, coffee.

Snack: salmon, raw carrots & cauliflower, mayo.

Supper: Thai chicken (based on Nom Nom Paleo recipe), kombucha.

Day 7 & 8: I have energy!

Day 7:

Breakfast: baked eggs (spinach and egg in prosciutto cup), raw veggies, 1/2 clementine

Lunch: salmon-mayo-capers salad, arugula-radicchio-walnut salad with vinaigrette

Snack: raw veggies & mayo

Supper: salad bar salad with eggs, kombucha

Day 8:

Breakfast: baked eggs (spinach and egg in prosciutto cup), raw veggies

Snack: 1/2 clementine, trail mix

Lunch: arugula-baby greens salad with walnuts and vinaigrette, tossed with loose meat (recipe from my blog; made with lard instead of bacon fat and no sugar)

Snack: raw veggies with mayo

Snack: trail mix

LOL, I save the other half for the next day. They come tons to a box, and it's OK with me because I do love orange with breakfast. Before W30 I would have fresh-squeezed almost every day. Honestly, that little half seems like a lot.

Today I shared the other half with a guy in my office at the church where I volunteer. :)

Day 9

Tired & blah-ish today, so mainly rested.

Breakfast: baked eggs (egg, spinach, prosciutto)

Brunch: fried eggs, home-fried sweet potatoes, homemade turkey sausage, 1/2 clementine (hubs had other half today), coffee

Snacks: raw veggies, pistachios, kombucha

Supper: not very hungry; a little tuna salad and raw broccoli

Still working hard in the kitchen. Hoping I can get into a flow soon so it seems easier. Droopy--typical Monday. Made baked eggs using spinach, fines herbs, side pork.

Breakfast: egg white omelet (eggs left over from making mayo), leftover asparagus & steak, 1/2 clementine, coffee with ghee (blendered--AWE-SOME)

Lunch: tuna salad, greens, zucchini & celery root in vinaigrette

Snack: trail mix

Supper: roasted brined chicken (patterned after Clothes Make the Girl's Moroccan chicken--Splendid!!!), roasted broccoli, San Pellegrino with lemon slice

Day 11 and am cranky and craving.

Breakfast: baked eggs, sauteed peppers & onion, 1/2 clementine, coffee.

Lunch: tuna salad, greens & veggies

Snacks: trail mix.

Supper: Chicken (from last night); roasted Brussels sprouts; salad of celery root, parsley, carrot; kombucha

Day 12. Feeling better. Tired from prepping sooo much veg, but have a fridg full of ready-to-use goodness.

Breakfast: baked eggs,a WHOLE clementine, coffee

Lunch: sauteed peppers & onions with sirloin

Snacks: trail mix

Supper: Thai shrimp & veg soup topped with cashews, kombucha. AWE-some. used our just-arrived coconut aminos.

Here's a quick version (amounts are approximate). If you make it I'd be grateful to know what you think of it--I might blog it.

THAI SHRIMP AND COCONUT SOUP

1/2 tablespoon coconut oil

1/4 c cashews

1T curry powder

1 medium carrot, diced (or could use red bell pepper)

2-3 c coconut milk (or could use half coconut milk half chicken broth)

1 t dried basil

1 t salt

3 small sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed

1 c shrimp, halved

2 c baby spinach

6 oz bean sprouts

Juice of 1 lime

1/2 c coarsely chopped cilantro

Heat oil over medium in soup pot. Lightly brown cashews; remove to small bowl to use as garnish, leaving oil in pot. Add curry powder to pot. Stir a minute until fragrant. Add carrot or bell pepper and saute a minute or two.

Add coconut milk (or coconut milk and broth), basil, salt, and sweet potato cubes. Cook 20-30 minutes until potatoes are soft. Cover if you don't want your soup to get much thicker. Turn down heat to simmery boil.

When potatoes are soft add shrimp. Heat till shrimp are just pink. Add spinach and heat till just wilted. Add sprouts, heat soup to desired serving temp.

Top with cashews and cilantro, and sprinkle on a little coconut aminos if you like.

About 4 servings.

Day 12 - still sort of difficult. Low energy and hungry between meals, but not so much that I feel like bingeing.

Breakfast: baked eggs (fresh batch with spinach, fines herbs, side pork), whole clementine, coffee

Lunch: salad of Napa cabbage, parsley, zucchini, bell pepper, with avo and chicken

Snack: wow, I just realized I didn't snack today, just drank a lot of hot tea

Supper: grass-fed rib eye, mashed cauliflower, my fave beet greens salad (only I used Swiss chard), kombucha

Tired from getting up early, but had a fair amount of energy.

Breakfast: baked eggs, sauteed peppers & onions, clementine, coffee

Lunch: leftover ribeye, leftover mashed cauliflower, leftover tomatoes from last nights salad with 1/2 avo

Snacks: raw veg w/mayo, trail mix, tea

Supper: lamb patty w/mayo, mashed sweet potato, salad of arugula, napa cabbage, and zucchini with fig balsamic vinaigrette

Archived