SchrodingersCat post-W30 diary!

So I have successfully completed 2 rounds, 1 reintro and utterly failed at Food Freedom. But I need to commit to a lifestyle and not continue my horrid merry-go-round of overly restricting then going hog-wild, so I'm not going to call this round 3, and I'm not going to keep a "Whole 30 Log", instead I'm committing to my post Whole 30 life.

My plan is to stay compliant save for when I have events, or not being compliant is WORTH IT. 

I have a Christmas in July this weekend, so obviously that won't be compliant but until then I will follow W30 principals, and will be back on track the very day after.

I find journaling my food keeps me sensible and accountable, so I will do that here.

Day 1 of new commitment to Food Freedom!

Meal 1: 2 Prosciutto, egg, mushroom and capsicum bites with spicy kraut

Meal 2: Beef "stoup" with cauli rice (diced beef, carrot, celery, mushrooms, beef stock, tomato paste, fish sauce, coconut aminos, tabasco, and a bit of potato starch to thicken - not thick enough for stew, not thin enough for soup, but lovely and warming!) 

Meal 3: I forgot to get something out of the freezer, but think it will be lamb chops with egyptian dukkah, roasted pumpkin, cauliflower and brussel sprouts with a garlic and basil ghee drizzle. 

Oh, I'm also reverting to my peculiar brand of intermittent fasting on weekdays - I am more than happy on black coffee and herbal tea until around noon, then I have meal 1, meal 2 is around 3:30, 4pm, meal 3 around 7:30 and then herbal tea until bed. 

If I eat early, I eat all day.

Day 2 of "Dammit, Schrod, stop eating like a bloody teenager whose been left home alone for the week with an unlimited food budget"

Meal 2: Beef "stoup" with cauli rice

Meal 3: Chicken and veggie casserole cooked in the slow cooker because I'm a grown-up who has plans after work and instead of making an excuse to grab something takeaway or suboptimal I used my not-inexpensive but completely underutilised slow cooker to ensure that there is something tasty and convenient to come home to.

I really need to get on some exercise too. I'm in that horrible "I'm too unfit to do what I used to do (taekwondo and running) but am at a loss to know what to do to get back to the level of fitness I need to be to do what I used to do". Plus I have bad knees and tendonitis in my elbow. I'd do aqua aerobics but it's such a time killer, by the time I get there, change, do the class, shower, change, come home, shower properly, it's a 2 hour commitment, minimum. 

I wish I could give multiple reactions on this, and include a few that aren't actually part of the options... 

Really, though... I'm cheering for you, and slowly trying to map out what my continuing journey looks like, too... so it's interesting to read yours :) 

Food freedom... means I'm having a glass or 2 of sparkling wine tonight because we're celebrating :) But it also means I came home and ate my pre-planned chicken casserole and NOT the pizza we walked past on the way home., and tomorrow is back to normal. Because that's food freedom!

Day 3 of "You don't need to be perfect, you just need to not be a damned idiot, so get your fat head out of the candy aisle"

Meal 3: Grilled pork chops with apple and chilli, baked pumpkin, sauteed green beans, brussel sprouts and carrots 

I'm feeling really good about last night - we went to a taping of a show we love (I love being in a studio audience) and we'd had some great news in the afternoon, so we grabbed a nice bottle of bubbles on the way home. Ate the dinner I pre-prepared, had a couple glasses of wine and off to bed - no snacks, no "ah bugger it, we'll order pizza". THAT is what I'm aiming for!!

Just so I remember this for next time, in addition to making my head hurt, messing with my sleep, giving me heartburn and IBS symptoms, plus vertigo - eating crappily also makes me retain fluid like no-ones business - I've "lost" 5lbs since Monday, all in hideous bloating that was sitting around my middle section and making me wildly uncomfortable!!

Day 4 of "This isn't so hard, normal people eat like this all the time.... wait, is that a choc chip cookie in the jar? NO, SHROD. STAHP."

Meal 3: Paleo battered fish with a warm carrot and pumpkin salad with baby spinach, pine nuts and herbed balsamic and oil dressing, and herbed potato wedges.

So I have a really gross confession. I love Frank's Red Hot. REALLY love it. Last night I was at work late and was abit cravey, and sometimes I will have a spoonful of Frank's because the sharp hot flavour makes me not want anything else. I was working away and sipping bits of Frank's and.... I consumed most of a bottle. Seriously. Not only is that just weird and gross in and of itself, it was about 4500mg of sodium, and today I'm bloated like a baby-Trump balloon. Not to mention last night I ended up in fairly severe gastric distress and I'm pretty sure that would be the cause.

So there it is. My deep, dark Frank's secret. Gross, huh?

Ended up coming home early, went to the doctor and got a prescription for the migraine meds I managed to come off during round 1. Hopefully they will stop the vertigo while I get my diet back under control.

Cranking headache tonight, and every time I eat my tummy hurts and I *ahem* yeah. I may be coming down with something, it's hard to tell.

Oh, and I just realised that the lemon pepper seasoning I put on my fish probably wasn't compliant - it has a dodgy ingredients label (it reads "assorted spices" haahaa) but I guess coz I'm not on round it's no biggie, it just shows how foggy I am tonight that it didn't even occur to me, or I'd have avoided it.

Actually, unless you're dealing with sensitivity to one or more specific spices, I wouldn't worry too much about the "assorted spices". That should not encompass anything non-compliant, as far as I know... sugar should have to be listed separately, as should any anti-clumping agents that are not classified as herbs and spices. This is usually a way to avoid showing too much of the recipe behind a blend, though I agree it's dodgy.

I have not used a single pre-made blend since starting my first round, because I got tired of having to check the labels on them all! Instead, I've been either mixing stuff up on the fly or pre-mixing and using some of the old leftover bottles to store my blends. The best part is that I get to really customize the taste that way (like leaving cumin out of the curry powder, for my mom's sake; or leaving rosemary out of our Italian blend, since my husband won't eat if I cook with it).

(hug) I'm sorry today's been hard, though, and I really do hope the meds help you get to feeling better while you work the food side of things!

Thank you!! I'm hoping the meds work too, this is exhausting. I can't tell if its actually worse now, or whether I was so used to permanently having migraines pre-Whole30 that I kinda got used to it.

I make all my own spice mixes too! It's so much fun - I actually went on a spice binge yesterday on my fav spice site, can't wait for delivery. This lemon pepper seasoning was some I bought in bulk for a bulk lot of fried chicken - I used it out of laziness because it's actually pretty tasty, but I don't trust the label because it's this dodgy home-typed label and "assorted spices" could really be anything. There are certainly colours/textures in there I can't put down to a natural spice, lol. Ah well, that's Food Freedom, right?

I went to bed early tonight and feel at least rested this morning.

Meal 3: Hmm. I'll have to give it some thought - I like to make something a little fancier on a Friday because we have the leisure time. Maybe some crispy skinned chicken thighs, if I can get some between here and home. 

I weighed myself every morning this week, just because I was interested to see how my bloating was going, but as of today I'm only going to weigh on Fridays. I've recorded it in my Fitbit and will just keep an eye on it from there. I'd REALLY like to drop 10kg before we go away at the end of September...

• Whole30 Certified Coach
11 hours ago, SchrodingersCat said:

Vertigo is absolutely vile today. REALLY bad.

I sure hope you feel better soon. My husband had vertigo a few months ago, so I know how terrible it can be.

Archived