Day 22 - Feeling Worse Every Day

This is my first W30 and I was doing pretty well until Day 19'ish. That's when I figured out something else is bugging me despite taking so much out of my diet. Since then, I've stopped eating nuts (was probably having too many), but a few days later and I'm feeling even worse than before. My gut is a decidedly unhappy camper, my skin is itchy (especially scalp), I'm achy, and I'm still getting reflux symptoms. I'm feeling weak overall and could barely get through my high-intensity pilates workout this morning. Basically, I feel like I got hit by a truck.

Here's what I ate yesterday

Breakfast - Eggs, spinach, red pepper, basil, white potato

Snack (because I knew lunch would be late) - banana w/ sunflower seed butter

Lunch (late) - compliant sausage, tomato sauce, spaghetti squash, bell peppers

Dinner - homemade meatballs, green beans sautéed in olive oil

Today's plan:

pre-workout - 3 dates

Breakfast - eggs, sweet potato, onion, red pepper, cucumbers marinated in rice vinegar

Lunch -  compliant sausage, tomato sauce, spaghetti squash, bell peppers

Dinner (on the go) - 2 hard boiled eggs, bell pepper, carrots, guacamole, grapes

I don't like eating as much meat or eggs as I'm currently eating. Starting to hit a wall on that, especially since the recipe service (paleo adjusted for W30) I use hasn't had many chicken recipes lately. It's been a lot of red meat or pork w/ one day of seafood for some reason.

Any thoughts are appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

I'm so sorry you're struggling and suffering. The first thing that jumps out is that you're eating A LOT of nightshades, and some people do have issues with those. White potatoes, basically any pepper (bell, chili, etc.), tomatoes... those are all nightshades showing up in your list above, so if you've got nightshade sensitivity then I can definitely understand why you're in distress (especially if these things are heavier now than they had been previously).

My other thought here is that it might be worth taking it upon yourself to do some meal planning, so you can eat more chicken. I honestly tried a couple of different planning services and wound up just quitting and doing my own, because it's easier for me to find things that'll work for me (and easier to budget when I can cater my meal plan to what's on sale that week). I still pull from recipes that came from those planning services, at times, but they're on my schedule not theirs. This might especially be a good idea for you if you want to consider going around nightshades to see if you get any relief by removing them.

Good luck in figuring it out! Hopefully others will have helpful input!

• Whole30 Certified Coach

Hi @Tara_S_M!

Sorry you are feeling kind of crappy this week!!

At first glance I would ask how much are you eating? I can not tell your portion sizes but eating too little, even really clean and healthy, is going to make you feel tired. The other thing that jumps out to me is a lack of fat. Again, you didn't include portion sizes so I can't be sure but if I were coaching you I would advise to add a little more in at every meal and see if it helps... 1/2 an avocado, a spoonful or two of nut butter or some olives or seeds. I like home made pesto as an option mixed with potatoes or veggies. Have you tried making Whole30 mayo? You can make a million different dips/sauces out of it that work as your plated fat at every meal. That will help with energy level too. 

When I get sick of eggs, I will start eating chicken or a burger for breakfast lol. If you like seafood make sure you add some fish too!

I also agree that it could be a night shade sensititvity too, it's so common. 

I am attaching the link to the Whole30 Meal Plan template, give it a quick review and see if there is something you see that you can adjust. I hope this helps. Hang in there, the first Whole30 can be a bear, your body is basically like WTH is going on for 30 days. I think you are doing great but it's a definite learning experience. Keep us posted on how you are feeling!

Whole30 Meal Planning

Archived