Day 22-still itchy dry skin (face), canker sores, tiredness- Why?

My husband and I are doing Whole30 for the second time, upon his request (because his pants were getting snug) and my agreement (because It was time to detox my/our diet and cleanse my body).  My major concerns at this juncture:

1. My skin-- Around Days 4-7, the skin on my face was itchy and dry in certain places, under my nose, around my mouth, neck. This typically a week before my period begins, so I know its hormone-related. And two weeks later it's the same, it's not improving, like it did the last time. 

2. My stomach-- has been upset every few days, and I can't narrow it down to anything specific. I'm hungry, I eat, but I'm not satisfied. My body is telling me I'm missing something (technically I'm missing a lot of things!), but I'm still sticking to the plan, and I sometimes I just go hungry.

3. Canker sores--Another indicator that my body is missing something,( and the plan isn't quite working for me) is that I currently have 3 canker sores in my mouth. I normally get canker sores every couple months or so, typically this happens due to diet and stress, or I accidentally bite the inside of my mouth.

4. I'm tired-- I usually get 6-7 hours of sleep. Today I had to take a 20-min nap in my car, I was so sleepy. I am not getting the "burst of energy" "everyone" talks about. But I'm still participating in normal activities. I even play tennis once or twice a week and walk my dog every other day.  

Some theories about everything above. I welcome others to respond to my theories and share your own:

I"m not eating enough raw veggies-- I personally prefer cooked veggies, and I've made all sorts of recipes from the three whole30 books that I have. I don't prefer salads, and I eat fresh veggies with guacamole.

The skin on my face is still reactive because I'm still detoxing. (22 days later?!)

The rest-- I don't know.

Any help and comments you can provide are welcome!

Many thanks!

Lyn Nstill

• Moderators

Raw vegetables would actually be more likely to cause stomach issues for most people, and when people mention bloating or gas, we usually suggest they go for just well-cooked vegetables for a few days to see if that helps.

If you're going hungry, that could indicate you might not be eating enough in general, or perhaps that you aren't eating quite the right mix of protein, fat, and vegetables. Not eating enough could contribute to being tired as well. It's hard to say for sure, not knowing more about what you're eating, but it is a possibility. 

Skin stuff can be harder to figure out. Maybe you're right that you aren't eating enough vegetables, or maybe there's something you're eating that just doesn't work for you (for instance,  eggs, coconut products, nuts, or nightshade vegetables can cause skin issues for some people). Not drinking enough water can contribute sometimes as well. 

Archived