It's Time To Slay The Sugar Dragon

Elizabeth33

So I am starting tomorrow and today is my day 0. I have been avoiding this for a very long time. I have started and stopped many time. Now I just really need to buckle down and get myself healthy.  I am modifying my whole 30 to exclude my allergies items: almonds, cashews, pecans, poppy & sesame seeds, eggs, onions, garlic, seaweed, bananas, pineapple, tomatoes, watermelon, figs & kiwi. So that means no protein bars at all. My new emergency food is baby food that is compliant since I can keep it in my trunk and I don’t have to keep it cool. 

My doctor is not happy with me because I have not been following his instructions. He is very concerned because of all the inflammation I have from the test results among other things. I am working on getting the 3 meals a day but I am concerned at night because I sometimes can’t sleep because of my low blood sugar. That is the first hurdle to get through a night and not have to eat before I go to bed which has become a habit. Let’s get real her it is more of a binge than a meal. 

I have taken my measurements, weight and pictures. I purged my cupboards today and went shopping. This week I am doing chicken, pork, turkey, steamed broccoli, cauliflower fried rice, a veggies soup of zucchini, green beans, celery and parsley, sweet potatoes, spaghetti squash, salads and cole slaw. All the meat is already made so I just need to do the veggies. 

Reason whyWhole 30:

1. Heal my gut and digestion (leaky gut)
  2. Heal insulin resistance
  3. Reduce inflammation 
  4. Have better energy
  5. Sleep better
  6. Get off Blood Pressure Medicine
  7. Improve My Allergies Symptoms and Get Off All Allergy Medicine

My Goals are to:

1. Take one meal and day at a time to stay compliant.
  2. Do some kind of movement: PT &/or walking
  3. Clean the kitchen after each meal/food prep

Create your if/then:

If I am stuck late at work/in traffic/at a game then I’ll have protein/veggie & fat (baby good or canned meats) or grab a protein burger or get a salad at a salad bar

If I am at happy hour and offered a drink then I’ll say no thanks, I am sober and have a soda water

If there is nothing compliant at a party, then I’ll get the extra emergency food that I brought in my car. I can also eat before I go. Or end up leaving early if no food and too hungry.

If I am tempted to go out for breakfast to eat and read a magazine then review my reasons why then make sure I have enough protein and fat in my meal. Read helpful excerpts from the book. This isn’t hard, cravings leave in 3-5 mins. And remember I truly am the one in charge, not my cravings, would I let my an infant eat cookies and drink Diet Coke?  

If I am waking by non-compliant food at work, then I think of my reasons why and keep walking by. Eat down in the closed restaurant so I am not by the food. Also don’t walk in areas that has the bad food because you really don’t need to be up there anyway.

If while working the kid’s movie event I get pizza, chocolate, etc on my hands then wipe it off with a napkin. I need to get into the habit of this in my life instead of licking my fingers. This has definitely been the cause for me to have to restart. Also make sure I have compliant snacks so if I am hungry, I have something to eat.

If I need to grab a bite to eat because I didn’t bring enough food, then find a compliant place to go. Ie grocery store salad bar with can of tune or salad at another non-fast food restaurant, etc. side note take extra food for the day (compliant canned tuna or chicken, some extra veggies sticks, fruit, nuts, etc.)

If invited out to lunch, then scope out the menu beforehand for compliant foods. Let the person know what I am doing as well. 

If invited for dinner, then find out what’s on the menu and offer to bring something compliant. Make them aware of my allergies. If not

I am going to be keeping my food log and day by day here instead of going to the food log section because it is moderators are her. Anyone want to join me I would love to hear from you no matter what day you are on.  

11 hours ago, Elizabeth33 said:

I am going to make this for some of my breakfasts. https://herbrandedlife.com/turkey-sweet-potato-paleo-breakfast-hash/

I will need to figure out something else since I can’t do eggs. Maybe some turkey burgers with salad and roasted potatoes. 

Breakfast is just Meal 1. There's no reason you have to go near an egg. Some of my favorite Meal 1s are tuna salad (with homemade mayo) or compliant hot dogs with lots of mustard and sauerkraut. Steamed frozen spinach supplements both. Plus, you have a potentially endless supply of leftovers from dinner . . . .

• Whole30 Certified Coach

Well, don't let anyone tell you that you haven't planned and thought this through!  

Here are a few more breakfast ideas: 

https://whole30.com/melissas-chicken-hash/  

https://www.ambitiouskitchen.com/maple-blueberry-turkey-sausage-breakfast-patties/  (leave out the maple)

Sweet potato toast is good too... just make sure to have some protein and vegetables with it.  

Without onion and garlic it is tough to follow recipes as written.  I follow a low FODMAP diet (and thus no onions and garlic) and tend to just make recipes without them.  

Some of the things I routinely do for meal 1 are:

Cranberry turkey burgers (turkey, poultry seasoning, some shredded zucchini for moisture and fresh cranberries) with homemade cranberry/strawberry sauce and mayo.

Asian turkey burgers (turkey, coconut aminos, diced pepper, fresh cilantro, fish sauce) with a side of veggies dipped in ginger/coconut amino flavored coconut milk.

And lately, at work because it is easy to eat in small bites, diced left over steak with raw chopped red peppers with mayo.  

I know regular mayo is out for you - I haven't tried the egg free kind.  Is the egg allergy a super-legit allergy?  I'm just wondering if it is the egg white that you could be allergic to and could try a W30 mayo made with just yolk. 

I always eat my eggs for lunch so I always have egg-free "breakfasts" so it is possible :)

@littleg its more a digestive problem although not as sever as peppers, onions & garlic. The egg whites are the highest and then the yokes. I haven’t been able to find a compliant vegan mayo since the one I know has rice syrup in it. I am looking to make my own or just go without. Great alternate recommendation littleg and @ArtFossil. I have had to go without the eggs before I had just realized I didn’t plan for any breakfasts since I had been doing oats and tuna sandwiches, which are out now. I will do some tuna boats unless I can’t figure out the mayo part. I am not too fond of tuna without the mayo. I’ll be trying all those recommendations. 

I woke up too late so didn’t start today  I did get the soup made and some steamed broccoli. I also prepped the fried cauliflower rice  

• Whole30 Certified Coach

Can you eat avocado?  My husbands tuna method is often 1/2-1 baked sweet potato mashed up, can of tuna, 1/2-1 avocado, dried shallots and mustard.  It is surprisingly good :) 

Totally not telling you to go against medical advice but if you used just the egg yolk that would make almost a full 2 cups of mayo... so you'd be getting like 1/15th of an egg yolk per serving... Only you know how bad your sensitivity is but sometimes the poison is in the dose so just food for thought.  

@littleg I haven’t done the avocado and tuna in a while. I will have to try it again. I found several recipes I am going to try. This round I am going to stay away from eggs I must get the inflammation down. Then next round I remove more things like pork, potatoes, eggplant and probably others as well. I have really done a number on myself. 

Archived