Bone Broth, Broth and Stock....

BrianM

• Moderators

Bone broth is basically stock. They both tend to be a little thicker than regular broth because they're made with bones, so they have the gelatin/collagen ftom bones. Broth may be made with some bones but technically are more meat than bones so they don't have the gelatin, so they don't get as thick.  You can also make vegetable broth which has no meat or bones, and you can of course add vegetables to any kind of broth or stock for flavor.

For most recipes, they're interchangeable, you can use whatever you have on hand, although obviously using chicken vs. beef is going to change the flavor, and if you use a stock but it seems too thick for what you're trying to do, you may need to water it down some.

Any of these can be compliant for whole30, but if you buy them already made, definitely check the ingredients to be sure, since many of the store bought ones have sugar or other non-whole30 ingredients. 

• Administrators
26 minutes ago, Erkie said:

Can I use almond flour or coconut milk to thicken this broth.

Technically yes although neither of those will work very well. You could try a potato starch or arrowroot powder which would work more like a cornstarch.

• Administrators
10 minutes ago, Madeline368 said:

I am allergic to corn so have been using potato starch for years.  I find I need less of it than recipes usually call for- it makes things quite thick.

Yes, agreed. Use too much amd it's almost gloppy.

Archived