Jan 1 is Lucky #13!

CrazyCow

Here we go...lucky number 13 for Whole30s since 2013. I'm ready and excited to make this one the best yet. I may have a husband and college daughter joining in as well, or I may not. Either way they will join in the food prep aspect, and will no doubt be supportive as well. 

2 things I LOVE about Whole30:

reconnecting with food
I get out of the habit of healthy food prep, and then I get out of the habit of food prep at all...and then the less healthy choices run rampant. I love remembering that I really ENJOY food prep and finding new recipes (or rediscovering old ones I forgot about). I post to pinterest throughout, too and it's fun looking through past boards etc.

feeling invincible
There comes a point in each W30 I've done where I find myself thinking I can do a bunch of pushups, right there and then. I hate pushups. I mean, seething, hot hatred of those awful things. But W30 EVERY time short circuits me to where I'm like "yeah I can do that. Yeah let's do that right now." It's weird, and it doesn't happen at the same time for me in the W30, but it does, invariably, happen. It makes me giggle--which is probably alarming to those around me at the time :D

2 things I am challenged by in Whole30:

I've done this. Do I really have to do ALL of this?
That's a conversation I've had with myself over a number of subsequent W30s...sometimes multiple times throughout the 30 days. I don't expect that to happen this time, but I need to be aware of it. I don't get to skip steps or rules just because I've been here before.

I'm missing out.
This is a hard pill to swallow. I have to be honest about it though; I DO feel like I'm missing out...and often. It's a feeling that passes quickly, but I'm just going to acknowledge it right here to start. I expect to have those flashes.

I'm also looking at this W30 as the jump off for an exploration in 2020 into the facets of Whole9:

• Nutrition (Whole30 and beyond)
  • Sleep (errr...what's that?)
  • Healthy movement (more please)
  • Fun & Play (let's finally make some time for this)
  • Stress Management (looking for some balance)
  • Socialization (connections and connecting in new ways)
  • Natural Environment (surrounded by mountains and the ocean currently...take advantage of this!)
  • Personal Growth (and now for something completely different...)
  • Temperance (learn what it actually means to be "moderately immoderate"...)

I'm looking forward to this added side of what Whole30 is about for me this time.

Now let's do this!

I relate to “do I really need to do ALL of this?”   I am starting my #6 on Wednesday.  Shopped today and was really hoping to make chipotle mayo using homemade mayonnaise.  Disappointed to not find compliant chipotles in adobo.  And I’m in a city (Portland, OR) where it’s fairly easy to find specific dietary items (vegan/paleo/sustainable/etc).   So now I’m still deciding if I will use these chipotle peppers that have a bit of corn oil and even smaller bit of corn starch, or if I will find another compliant spicy thing to do with the mayo. Sigh. 

On 12/29/2019 at 8:40 PM, Ann said:

Disappointed to not find compliant chipotles in adobo.

I've got a recipe for you, Ann, for compliant Adobo! https://www.blenderhappy.com/adobo-sauce-with-ancho-chiles-for-the-win/   Used this in the past to make a killer spiced mayo...maybe that will work for you! :D

CrazyCow, thank you SO MUCH for this recipe!  I'm totally going to make it.  I have a paleo sauces cookbook (Primal Blueprint, Mark Sisson) which I was thumbing through last night, and there are lots of them I'm planning to try in the coming days.  

Wow 13?  That's incredible.  Good for you!  2020 is going to be a tranformative year for me in several ways, and I decided a W30 was a great way to start it off on a positive note.  The fact that we are now in a new decade has really made me think, and I have a list of things to accomplish before another decade gets away from me.  

Good luck girls!

I actually don't know which number this is for me, I did my first in 2015. Some have been very successful, some NOT. 

Oh man, your two things challenged by hit me spot on.  Even though I know I can't eat like so many other people can and feel well, my inner child is still whining about not getting what someone else does.

I have a marvelous husband who is a self trained chef - he is great about helping me modify and recreate recipes, but still... I struggle with sugar, for me it's all or nothing.

I like the idea of explo6the facets of Whole9 - I need to do some work there myself.  Healthy movement, stress management, and Socialization will be my biggest challenges. :D

Archived