Fifth timer, starting Jan 1!

Ann

Hi all!  I’ve done this a few times before - W30 in July 2012, W24 in Jan 2013, W30 in Dec 2014, and W-?? in July 2015. Each time I feel better, but fairly quickly return to my previous habits. I’m feeling strong this time, as I have recently been working on behavior stuff with Noom.  I’ve also lost 20# over the last 7 months, and would ultimately like to lose another 15-25.  But primarily I really want to get better sleep, and decrease shoulder pain (calcific tendinitis, which used to respond well to a cortisone injection but no longer does), get my resting heart rate and blood pressure down, and work on my relationship with wine.  I also plan to hop on my laundry basket (aka the treadmill) at least 3x/week, and have some specific work-related goals to preserve my evening time for me. 

I’ve got some extra support this time, as my awesome 27 yr old daughter who lives with me is doing her own version of W30 - she is vegetarian and plans 30 days of pure vegan eating, 30 days of daily yoga, and a Dryuary.  

I cleaned out the fridge and pantry today and shopped.  Sooo much money, but seeing as I will be saving a fortune on Starbucks and wine, it still mostly fits my budget.  And the first shop is the most expensive (avocado oil is expensive!).  

Planning for feeling tired and lazy on New Years Day, after a late night which will include drinks, so did some prep today to make those first days as easy as possible.  

Here we go, everyone!  We got this!!!! 

Ann

90C96982-7109-4CC1-8740-E54B10AD36C5.jpeg

Hi Ann, I've also done a few W30's, and have always felt amazing during and after.  I think my last one was 2 years ago.  Since then I have put on enough weight that I do think I'm at my heaviest e_v_e_r.   My main downfall calorie-wise is alcohol.  It's nothing for me to have a cocktail, and then several glasses of wine at night.  It's a crutch, I battle with depression (drug addict 38 yr old daughter), and it's a daily struggle to keep it all going.  BUT!  Most days I'm good, and I'm excited to start the new year and a new Whole 30.

Yes, we got this!

Hi Ann and Becky, this is Lynn. I, too, have done a few whole 30's but i am in need of a clean slate. I have arthritis in my hands, which is getting worse with the foods that i eat.  The hard thing is giving up dairy and wine, but since my gut is getting bigger and bigger, I am motivated.  I look forward to encouragement from everyone.  I am not even prepped and Becky is doing so well with her prep.  Tomorrow I am off to Whole foods to get ready for this.

Hi Lynn - yes I know the feeling of the ever expanding gut.  I have fat hanging off me in brand new places and I don't like it one bit!  My husband is unemployed right now, so I'm going to google and explore the "Walmart Whole30".  I've seen posts about it before.  Happy New Year to you guys and good luck.  My official start is Monday the 6th, because we have out of town plans this weekend and I'm not even going to try to Whole-30-it while I'm out of town.

Hi! I'm also a repeat, my last W30 didn't go so well, the group I was in turned out to be focused on fast weight loss instead of healing and I ended up dropping out. I've had some successful runs, though and I know I need to reset my system again.

My focus will be on once again slaying the sugar dragon, better sleep, less shedding and sneezing, and the return to my optimistic, more energetic self I know is still in here.  I also want to lose weight, but the NSV are the main priorities for me at the moment.

Hi Becky, Lynn and C-Cezeaux!  Looks like we have quite a few W30 veterans here!   Yay!  :) I read through my old logs for prior rounds, and am remembering how great the support is on this forum.  And also remembering lots of recipes and habits, and am pretty psyched up to get going again!  

My first day was a little rocky - not because of the food, but because I have been hit with the wicked cold that is going around. So, while my food was compliant, it was not enough and different proportions. I existed on chicken bone broth, mostly. Managed some cabbage and pork at dinner. My DH made me shrimp creole and spaghetti squash for lunches because he felt bad for giving the virus to me. ;)

I am taking a few shortcuts this time, compliments of our HEB grocery stores here. Their produce department does a lot of pre-chopped containers of veggies and they also sell their own line of compliant meats, so I will be taking full advantage. 

Are you feeling any better C_Cezeaux? Hopefully with extra veggies, and chicken broth you will get better quickly.  Well we made it to Saturday and i really need to prep tomorrow because I am eating the same things all the time and getting bored.  Thanks for the recipe links BeckyB because I will try them tomorrow.

I am finally on the upswing this week. The good news is that during the "kill all the things" days, I was too tired to get up and take a swing at anyone. ;D

For lunches this week, I'll be having shrimp scampi (made with ghee) with spaghetti squash (never buy two when only one person is eating it, lol). I am still relying heavily on the grocery store for those prechopped veg and am happy this week just to have some sort of appetite.  

I made cauliflower rice yesterday, plus mayo.  I almost bought some Primal avocado mayo, but just couldn't spend the $9.99 Sprouts wanted for it, so I made my own.  It's really easy and I love having it around, so very glad I did.  Tonight we're having some turkey breast I froze after Christmas dinner, plus roasted veggies.  I'm lucky this go W30 around, (in a weird way), my husband is laid off and home to cook.  He's a good cook and willing to make what I ask, so that will be very nice.  Onward!

Good lord! That's pretty pricey on the mayo. Are you anywhere near an HEB? They sell it for quite a bit less.  I'm made my own three times now. Twice it came out really well (I made the herbed mayo the 2nd time), once it turned into a ranch type dressing because it insisted on being runny. :D

Wednesday night and just wondering is everyone is doing. I finally made soup and that has really helped with hunger and getting more veggies in me. My joints are really pretty sore, and I am somewhat surprised since I have been eating so cleanly. One positive is my belly is shrinking.  I hope everyone is doing well. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived