Only Lost 6 Pounds, but...

mazzystarslight

So, I have an unhealthy obsession with my weight. I lost 22 pounds my first round, 12 my second, and about 6 this third one (weighed in this morning, which is my Day 31!).

1) I basically did them consecutively over the past few months.

2) I probably had more to lose at first and the novelty has worn off.

3) I probably under-ate my first round and have progressively incorporated more carbs/fats/variety into my Whole30 diet.

So I only lost 6 pounds, BUT I have so many NSVs...

• Most of them are related to mental health improvements - I have been diagnosed as bipolar and border and experience extreme mood swings and intense emotional states. I made the decision to stop meds a few years ago (which I know is very controversial and not right for everyone, even maybe myself) due to crazy weight gain and not feeling like myself. Whole30 has helped me stabilize my mood and improve my self-esteem; I feel way less cloudy and much more stable. This is a major victory for me!
  • Cholesterol and vitamin levels improved (no more meds/supplements needed)
  • My skin is glowing (and very tan from biking!) and my hair is the longest and healthiest it's ever been (also, haven't gotten a haircut in forever with the pandemic)
  • I have a tasty, healthy arsenal of food to eat throughout the week and like the routine - food shopping is easy and cooking has become more routine, brainless, easy, and fun; I know how to stock my fridge, freezer, and pantry with foods that I enjoy that also happen to be healthy
  • I feel less likely to rebound and binge this time... it only took me three rounds! :)

My doctor recommended I do a round every 3 months, which I think is a good idea for me. Until next time! 

@mazzystarslight congratulations on those nsv's, and good luck over the summer as you navigate off W30 for a bit. 

On 6/26/2020 at 3:33 PM, mazzystarslight said:

I have a tasty, healthy arsenal of food to eat throughout the week and like the routine - food shopping is easy and cooking has become more routine, brainless, easy, and fun; I know how to stock my fridge, freezer, and pantry with foods that I enjoy that also happen to be healthy

This, it's something that seems so basic yet has been elusive for me for my entire adult life.  One of my W30 goals is to learn to cook, and to prepare healthy meals without too much fuss. I'm not 100% there yet, but you have given me hope for my future living off W30 by the book.  

On 6/26/2020 at 3:33 PM, mazzystarslight said:

BUT I have so many NSVs...

• Most of them are related to mental health improvements -

I have been wondering a lot lately about the connection between food and mental health.  I don't have a diagnosis so am not speaking to mental health disorders, but I honestly feel that my mental health, how I relate to others and to my own personal daily struggles, patience, understanding, kindness to others etc is just easier while on Whole30.  I wonder if the chemical additives in some things that we ingest, things that are sold as food, are really somewhat to very toxic.  

Props to you and your victories!

I'm glad my post was hopeful! I definitely didn't think it was possible for me either, but think/hope this will stick. I think food has a HUGE impact on mental health. I definitely (generally) get along with people better too, my boyfriend and I would joke that we didn't fight when I am on Whole30. Some of it may have to be with food toxicity or just helping bridge missing brain chemicals and fuel/nourish your body with natural hormone-producing foods that are nutrient-rich. 

• 4 weeks later...

Kudos to you! Your changes are amazing!

I was also diagnosed with bipolar and don't take medication anymore.

What I figured out is this:

The cleaner I plate, the more excercise I incorporate, the more my moods are stabilized.

If I eat Junk Food, I will get severe modd swings, same if I don't work out.

So taking care of this is a very good step. :)

Archived