3 meals a day?

AnaMont35

Hello,

My first day of Whole30 will be tomorrow. I was wondering if 3 meals a day is absolutely necessary. Let me explain. I struggle with anxiety and depression and most days I wake up late in the day. Then I have to wait one hour before I eat due to a medication I take when I wake up. By the time all that happens it’s lunch time. So with this routine I will only have time for lunch and dinner. Is that ok? I’m hoping whole30 will help with my anxiety and depression and improve my sleep patterns so I can be more active and wake up in time to have 3 meals a day. 

• Moderators

Maybe try planning to eat every 4-5 hours while you're awake, starting after that first meal. So if meal 1 is at noon, then have a meal at 4 or 5 pm, then have something maybe around 8 or 9 pm. If that last one isn't a full meal, that's okay, but maybe try to make it include some protein, some fat, and try having some starchy vegetable with it (potato, sweet potato, beets, turnips, carrots, parsnips, plantains, or winter squashes like butternut or acorn squash) -- some people find the starchy vegetables in their last meal of the day helps them sleep better. 

Thank you. I hadn’t considered eating every 4-5 hours. I guess I’m conditioned to think of meals as breakfast, lunch, and dinner and if I miss breakfast I only have two meals left. I’ll try my best to navigate around my crazy sleep schedule until I can have a more normal one. Thanks again :)

Archived