Starting Dec 29, 2020

Amy_Michigan

Another Whole30.  Decided it is time.  The last 4 months, I have been eating vegetarian.  I feel fine, but I have been heavily relying on dairy and bread instead of vegetables and protein.     My goal is to start over again and change my habits.

I want to track by food type instead of meals.  This is what I have eaten so far today.

Vegetables/Starch: Sweet Potato

Fruit: Frozen mixed fruit (Blackberries, Blueberries, Strawberry, Raspberries)

ProteIn: 2 eggs

Fat: Ghee

Other:

Hi @Brewer5! :)   Seems like I missed you by a month, but maybe we'll be on here doing a whole30 again around the same time in the future, who knows!  :lol:  Good job on finishing up at the end of November!  I love reading your posts because I really relate to so much you talk about, especially about how the best time to restart your healthy lifestyle journey is not when you are feeling desperate, but when your motivation meter is high (summarized in my own words, haha).  Hopefully, my motivation stays where I need it to be to keep this going for awhile.  I usually don't get all the way to 30 days, but it doesn't matter to me because I never regret doing it and getting as far as I do.

--

Continuing Day 1, I am going to add on what I ate the rest of the day:

Vegetables/Starch: Sweet Potato, Mixed Salad greens, red onion, cucumber

Fruit: Frozen mixed fruit (Blackberries, Blueberries, Strawberry, Raspberries), lemon juice

Protein: 2 eggs

Fat: Ghee, olive oil

Other: 2 larabars, balsamic vinegar, unsweetened almond milk with coffee

Reflection on Day 1:  I do have to work on getting more protein into my diet.  Veggies too but I'm more concerned with protein because I'm switching over from eating lots of cheese, regular milk, greek yogurt, peanut butter, beans/legumes, and soy milk for protein.  Pretty much everything you can't eat on a Whole30.  I added eggs into my diet on my first day of my Whole30, so I'm super proud of that.  Haven't prepared and eaten an egg of my own free will in months.  Tomorrow, will add in a little bit of chicken.  I remembered to take it out of the freezer - yay me!

My first Whole30 back in 2014 was a complete goody-two-shoes Whole30, by the rules 100%.  I have never done anything close to that perfect since then.  I don't think I've made it passed day 5 after 2014 when I try to be perfect.  It just works better for me if I don't hold myself to those first-time standards.  When I allow some convenience, I get pretty close to 30 days (like regular ketchup once in a while, restaurant balsamic vinaigrette because that's the best option sometimes, larabars with chocolate occasionally).  I'm not letting myself down at all when I do this because I know it helps me to reach goals for healthier eating habits in the long run.  Plus I know my body pretty well, so I am not going to attempt a structured re-introduction after the Whole30.  I'm just going to do my best not to shock my system (I've done that before- stomach cramps in my intestines are not fun so you can bet I've learned from experience what to do after my whole30 experiences to add some food groups back first in that I know won't affect me horribly)

So I'm really happy to be here, and I'm going to be posting A LOT my first few days because you know- obsession is almost necessary in the beginning so I don't forget what I'm doing and start eating a peanut butter sandwich or cream cheese bagel.  

@Amy_Michigan ~ I actually just managed that one day in November ...  Lol.  But I am glad you appreciate my posts.  I also know that (for me) it can be really motivating to know that even one other person in this world actually cares how you are doing with this, and is out there "listening".

It's interesting that your first, perfect, by-the-book Whole 30 was in 2014.  Maybe we've talked about that before.  Mine was also.  Clearly there's something about this way of eating ... since we both keep coming back to it, even if we don't manage a full 30 days.

I might be around more and trying to start again on January 1.  I do miss feeling my best.  It's been awhile.

All good vibes sent to you today as you manage Day 2.  :)  I hope you do keep posting a lot.  I think it really helps.

@Brewer5Oops, read your post wrong from November.  Glad you are thinking about being around more.  You are right.  It does help to know someone is reading and cares about your success!

Day 2-

Managed to avoid all the sugary, bready things in the house again by waiting to have breakfast until around 11:30.  Yay me.  Had some coffee with unsweetened almond milk to start my day.

Starting Day 2, I've had:

Vegetables/Starch: An ENTIRE 10oz bag of Birds Eye frozen "Shredded Potatoes & Sweet Potatoes with Broccoli and Cauliflower Florets".  A lot of carbs, but I'm here for health, not eating low-carb.  (It has garlic , salt, and pepper and the ingredients are CLEAN/whole 30 compliant.  I'm proud of this find.)

Fruit: 

Protein: 2 eggs

Fat: Ghee for eggs, olive oil to prepare the frozen veggies in a frying pan

Other: unsweetened almond milk with coffee

I'm making pot pie for my family right now.  :unsure:  I still haven't figured a dinner for myself.  Need to think about available proteins.  I accidently put all the chicken I thawed into a pot pie so an easy chicken salad is unfortunately not going to happen.  I just got some celery and red onion from the store, so maybe a tuna salad.  Going to need to thaw some chicken for tomorrow. :rolleyes:

@Brewer5 The chopped nuts sound really good!  Haha.. and that rule sounds like a good one.  I just have to stop forgetting about my protein needs and then I'm all about it. :D

I bought some sparking water today for myself, and I also bought sparkling grape juice for the family.  This might be the first year I let my kids stay up (or wake them up if they demand it) for New Years.  They are 5 and 8 years old and their bedtime is still 8 PM but they usually read in bed until 9 or 9:30 at the latest (bigger kid reads to littler kid).  Neither of them have stayed up past 10 PM.  My husband does not like the idea of them staying up until midnight, but going from 2020 to 2021 is kind of monumental, so I plan to convince him.  Plus, I already bought "2021" eyeglasses, headbands/hats, and party blowers for the occasion.  AND I bought a 1/2 size apple pie and ice cream for them as a special occasion treat.  (Which I will stay away from.)

Continuing Day 2, I've had:

Vegetables/Starch: 

- An ENTIRE 10oz bag of Birds Eye frozen "Shredded Potatoes & Sweet Potatoes with Broccoli and Cauliflower Florets".  A lot of carbs, but I'm here for health, not eating low-carb.  (It has garlic , salt, and pepper and the ingredients are CLEAN/whole 30 compliant.  I'm proud of this find.)

- A big bowl of lettuce, a small bowl of peas and carrots

Fruit: frozen mixed berries

Protein: 2 eggs, half a can of tuna

Fat: Ghee for eggs, olive oil to prepare the frozen veggies in a frying pan, mayo

Other: unsweetened almond milk with coffees (2 or 3 cups), larabar

I'm totally gonna hunt for that Bird's Eye frozen veggie bag you mentioned. I love all those veggies and it's great to know that it's compatible with W30. Thanks for highlighting that!

Tomorrow is a perfect day to begin again, looking forward to seeing you then! :)

@Amy_Michigan ~ Happy New Year!  :)

Life happens.  A big part of Whole 30 is identifying "triggers" - whether that be a certain food item, going too long without eating, stress, emotions - whatever.

This is all part of the process.  If you're determined to proceed ~ lady ~ hold your head high, and march on.  I wish you all the best, either way.

Archived