Plated Fat

TiffanyS77

I'm still in the planning stage (starting on Saturday)!

I am struggling with understanding the plated fat part.  I don't like olives or dressings like Mayo. I do like olive oil though.  Sorry for the list of questions, but hopefully I can get it over with in one post :)

1) Does cooking something IN the oil count as a plated fat or no?  If I cook some chicken patties with heated olive oil, is that my fat?

2)  Does Ghee need to be refrigerated after opening? Do I have to cook it to use it? Or do I just use it like regular butter and put over my veggies/potatoes?

3) Why should nuts be limited to every other day or so?  What's wrong with eating them more often?

4) Do ya'll eat your avocados plain? Or are they better with something on top of them?

5) What are other tips/tricks for getting a plated fat on my plate?  I get that I can use oil on salads, but when it's just a pile of veggies with some protein, I'm stumped.  I am not a huge fan of avocados, but will eat some of them with this.

Thanks so much! I think this will be my biggest challenge.

• Moderators

1) Does cooking something IN the oil count as a plated fat or no?  If I cook some chicken patties with heated olive oil, is that my fat? Generally no, it doesn't usually count because the oil is usually left in the pan or split between the portions and doesn't amount to much oil actually consumed. 

2)  Does Ghee need to be refrigerated after opening?  Nope. Do I have to cook it to use it? Nope  Or do I just use it like regular butter and put over my veggies/potatoes? Sure, you bet!

3) Why should nuts be limited to every other day or so?  What's wrong with eating them more often? They are often inflammatory for some people, they can cause digestive distress and their Omega 3/6 balance is not ideal.

4) Do ya'll eat your avocados plain? Or are they better with something on top of them? Salt... or lime juice... or smashed up and made into guacamole

5) What are other tips/tricks for getting a plated fat on my plate?  I get that I can use oil on salads, but when it's just a pile of veggies with some protein, I'm stumped.  I am not a huge fan of avocados, but will eat some of them with this. What about other sauces? Chimichurra, ranch, buffalo sauce, tahini, pesto. You can also consider fattier cuts of meat (if you're going to do this, buy the highest quality you can afford), bacon.

I would also say to keep trying with olives... they're definitely an acquired taste and I spent about 38 years HATING them and now I can't get enough.  Try something like a halkadiki or calvestrano olive which are much more mild than some versions... or black kalamata are good too and you can try rinsing off the brine to get rid of some of the extra tang.

Also, try googling 'whole30 sauces' and see if you can find anything you like - here's a popular one - some are nut based so you do need to use them bearing the 'every other day or so' suggestion but they're good... I made the buffalo one and it was bomb!

https://eatthegains.com/6-whole30-sauces-that-arent-mayo/

44 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

1) Does cooking something IN the oil count as a plated fat or no?  If I cook some chicken patties with heated olive oil, is that my fat? Generally no, it doesn't usually count because the oil is usually left in the pan or split between the portions and doesn't amount to much oil actually consumed. 

2)  Does Ghee need to be refrigerated after opening?  Nope. Do I have to cook it to use it? Nope  Or do I just use it like regular butter and put over my veggies/potatoes? Sure, you bet!

3) Why should nuts be limited to every other day or so?  What's wrong with eating them more often? They are often inflammatory for some people, they can cause digestive distress and their Omega 3/6 balance is not ideal.

4) Do ya'll eat your avocados plain? Or are they better with something on top of them? Salt... or lime juice... or smashed up and made into guacamole

5) What are other tips/tricks for getting a plated fat on my plate?  I get that I can use oil on salads, but when it's just a pile of veggies with some protein, I'm stumped.  I am not a huge fan of avocados, but will eat some of them with this. What about other sauces? Chimichurra, ranch, buffalo sauce, tahini, pesto. You can also consider fattier cuts of meat (if you're going to do this, buy the highest quality you can afford), bacon.

I would also say to keep trying with olives... they're definitely an acquired taste and I spent about 38 years HATING them and now I can't get enough.  Try something like a halkadiki or calvestrano olive which are much more mild than some versions... or black kalamata are good too and you can try rinsing off the brine to get rid of some of the extra tang.

Also, try googling 'whole30 sauces' and see if you can find anything you like - here's a popular one - some are nut based so you do need to use them bearing the 'every other day or so' suggestion but they're good... I made the buffalo one and it was bomb!

https://eatthegains.com/6-whole30-sauces-that-arent-mayo/

Thanks so much! Especially for the link. Those look great and I think it will help me so so much!!!

• 8 months later...

I'm still a little confused about this topic as a newbie... Many of the whole 30 recipes I'm collecting use a can of coconut milk/cream as an ingredient, sometimes in addition to oil, nuts, etc also used in the same recipe. They are very fatty meals already  (like 30+ g fat per serving, if you believe their posted nutrition info) . I understand not counting saute fat that gets left in the pan and not eaten, but if the fat is incorporated into the meal while cooking and then consumed (and there's enough in the recipe to give a full fat serving with each serving of the dish), one can count the meal itself as already containing the plated fat, correct? I wouldn't throw another pile of ghee on top of such a meal in order to achieve plated fat template goal?

• Moderators
22 hours ago, Cpwh30 said:

I'm still a little confused about this topic as a newbie... Many of the whole 30 recipes I'm collecting use a can of coconut milk/cream as an ingredient, sometimes in addition to oil, nuts, etc also used in the same recipe. They are very fatty meals already  (like 30+ g fat per serving, if you believe their posted nutrition info) . I understand not counting saute fat that gets left in the pan and not eaten, but if the fat is incorporated into the meal while cooking and then consumed (and there's enough in the recipe to give a full fat serving with each serving of the dish), one can count the meal itself as already containing the plated fat, correct? I wouldn't throw another pile of ghee on top of such a meal in order to achieve plated fat template goal?

Yes, this is correct, if you're consuming a portion or two of fat (even sometimes a little more is fine, if a meal just works out to have a bit more), you don't need to add more. The not counting cooking fat is mostly for those dishes where oil is mostly left behind in the pan, or where you're cooking multiple servings and once you divide it up you're not getting a full serving of fat. The main way to know if you're eating enough is that you'll be able to 4-5 hours between meals pretty easily. If you're feeling hungry before that point, you may need bigger meals or more fat in the meal, or if you're regularly going six or eight hours before you feel hungry, you might need less.

Archived