First time with Hot Yoga, Fuel?

srp1777

I am trying Hot Yoga for the first time on monday. I was just going to eat a normal whole30 breakfast since I will be going at 9am, will that be enough?

Also, should I eat something before the afternoon classes? I don't normally need to eat before a regular yoga session (video at home), but this seems like it will be a lot more intense since the room will be between 104 and 108. And she said it is a moist heat.

I am assuming that I will refuel with some starchy carbs afterwards, like the book says, but I was just unsure if I needed to do anything different before. I like to use sardines as an afternoon snack if I need a little something, but I am afraid I may smell funky? Am I over thinking this? Will a tin of sardines be okay pre-workout in the afternoons?

I am so excited to try this! :D

• Moderators

The big thing before hot yoga is to drink a lot of water so you are well hydrated. I made a point of drinking 3 to 4 big glasses of water within 2 hours of class starting when I was doing hot yoga.

I prefer not to have eaten at all for at least 4 hours before yoga. That would be difficult with a 9 AM class. You might want to eat a pre-workout snack of protein and fat.

Even though hot yoga is strenuous, it has never made me ravenous the way a heavy barbell session in the gym does. I've never bothered with eating at the yoga studio after a session. I've been okay to drive home and eat as much as an hour after class ends.

Carbs are optional in post-workout meals. If you are lean or very concerned about energy levels, carbs are important. If you are not, you can omit carbs in post-workout meals. The important thing is to eat lean protein to help with rebuilding your muscles.

I don't know if eating sardines would make you smell funky or not. My hot yoga teacher would berate one Indian woman in our class for eating certain spices and smelling funky in class, but I never noticed any odor from her. But then, I like sardines.

I've always wanted to try this! I think I might now. Great info in the comments. :)

I just bought some anchovies/sardines yesterday. They are sitting on my counter. I have mixed emotions. I love sardines...fond memories of my grandpa, kaiser rolls, and Gulden's mustard. I just don't know how I'll do without the absorbency of the bread!

Hope the class went well.

I personally find that for a morning class I have 1 hard boiled egg and my morning beverage of choice (for me..black coffee). The class I take is about 90 minutes. I usually drink about a liter and a half of water during the class. I have a regular meal about 45 minutes after class and continue to hydrate throughout the day. I take classes 2-4x/week. If I'm taking an afternoon class I just have a lunch - maybe a bit of a lighter meal - a few hours before class. I love, love, love my hot yoga!! Hope the class went well.

Thank you for all of the comments!

The class went really well and I truly enjoyed it. The doc told me only walking and yoga, so I was a bit depressed, but the hot yoga felt really invigorating. I talked with the instructor after class and she said that before she started teaching, she would do 3-4 hot yoga classes a week plus run twice a week and she was ripped. She said she has more muscle tone with that schedule than she ever did when she just lifted and ran. So there is hope for me yet!

I do hot yoga 3-4 times a week and I am on day 10 of the whole30. I always eat a regular breakfast, but what really helps me is to drink about a half a tall can of coconut water before going into class, then finishing it right when I get out. Helps me TREMENDOUSLY! I love hot yoga!

Archived