Needing some encouragement....

So I just realized that the cashews and macadamias I was eating were made with peanut oil. Not sure why I didn't check the ingredients before, but now I'm thinking I have to start over. I've had this feeling for about a week that something just didn't feel right about how I was doing this Whole30, meaning there had to be something I was doing wrong. I just had a sense. I guess this was it.

This makes me really discouraged. I don't want to restart. I'm tired of thinking about ingredients. I'm tired of not being able to buy something because it has one non-compliant thing in it. I'm tired of searching for new recipes so Hubs and I don't eat the same thing over and over.

It's not that I want to go eat a bunch of off-plan foods (cake, cookies, breads, rice, etc), and giving those things up hasn't been that much of a problem, it's just that so many things aren't compliant due to one thing (usually sugar), and I'm tired of having to think about it.

I know the things I'm doing for my body are great! I'm getting healthier and helping my body function more efficiently - it's my brain that's having trouble.

Any thoughts/ideas are much appreciated! :)

I try to flip it around and run with what I can have. I load my freezer up with all different sorts of meat, so I don't get bored (I love adventure and variety!). I feel there is so much freedom when I think of all the things I can have. Eating from the Whole30 categories gives me this sort of focused mentality, so I don't even go there with certain foods I would waffle over, like half/half, and minimal amounts of sugar. In a way it frees me from having to look at every box or package, because most of what I eat does not come from those sources. I try to get really excited about how it is all going to turn out for me. I'm a super curious person and I want to see what happens. I try to set my mind on results in my body and mind. Hmm...what else? Veggies! Try all different sorts of veggies. I have some spaghetti squash we are going to make up tonight, and we have a love of Swiss Chard now. So my main goal, is simple, with a twist of variety in meats, veggies and different kinds of infused oils (garlic, basil, jalepeno). Ghee is also wonderful! And some days I just do what is before me. It may be boring, plain eggs I've had a hundred times, but I just get it in there for fuel and understand that not everything in life is going to be one-hundred percent exciting.

• Moderators

If you don't want to restart your Whole30, add 30 days to whenever you quit eating the peanut oil laced nuts and keep going.

You don't have to search for recipes. Visit my site where I have posted almost 400 Whole30-compliant recipes that taste good. Most of my recipes are simple and many of them are relatively quick to make...

http://www.wholelifeeating.com/recipe-index/

The best way to do a Whole30 is to eat foods that don't come in packages. Eat fresh vegetables and meat that don't have ingredients. The point of a Whole30 is to break from how you used to eat and learn to eat a new way. That means eating fresh foods.

I remember being sick and tired of my kitchen around the third week I my first W30. This is unusual for me because the kitchen is my favorite room in the house. I got to the point where one more dirty dish was going to put me over the edge. I stepped back, found a place to get compliant food and ate out. I spent that afternoon trying to figure out why things seemed so difficult. It's just food after all. I had to adjust my thinking a bit. I wasn't used to cooking three meals a day from scratch. We have a lot of freezer space so I started making everything in huge batches. I portion it out based on 2 person meals (breakfast an lunch) and 7 person meals (supper). I accepted the fact that not every meal is going to be gourmet. I have eaten some pretty ugly looking meals, but they provided fuel and tasted good. I played around with new spices and different veggies. Some things worked, some didn't. It works better for me to have a plan long before I get hungry. I remember the first 'spontaneous' meal I cooked. It was a moment of triumph for me. I'm back in love with my kitchen. Stocking a variety of veggies and meats give me a huge amount of options. Hang in there. Soon you will be whipping up great meals without having to search for recipes and run out to the store for ingrediants. I enjoy even the failures. I need to laugh at myself sometimes. It helps having frozen soups and entrees as a back up.

Archived