Not hungry?

Maria Williams

Hi everyone! I'm on Day 9 of the Whole30 challenge. I'm feeling great, no slip ups yet other than a glass of red wine and a party last night (I did avoid the mountains of desserts and appetizers though, so I was proud of myself). One weird thing, I seem to not be very hungry. I mean, I can't complain, since when I'm on my regular diet I'm usually starving throughout the day, but this just seems weird. I feel like especially for breakfast and dinner I'm forcing myself to eat. Does anyone else have this problem? I want to listen to my body, but I don't want to skip meals.

• Moderators

It takes longer than 9 days for your hormonal rhythms to get to a really healthy place. One of the best ways to encourage your hormones to get to where they should be is to eat breakfast within an hour of waking and then eat lunch 4 to 5 hours later, and then eat supper 4 to 5 hours after that... even if you don't feel hungry. And it is common to experience little hunger eating this way. At least not much more than a little hunger just before meals.

That said, you departed from the Whole30 when you had a glass of wine. You are not on day 9. It is great that you avoided the mountains of desserts and appetizers, but deciding to drink the wine ended your process. You have to start over if you want to do a Whole30. It is one thing to discover after the fact that there was a little sugar in something you ate and another thing entirely for you to choose to eat or drink something that absolutely makes you less healthy. The Whole30 is a big deal in part because it demands full compliance. You can't experience the full benefits of a Whole30 if you cheat and you deserve to experience the full benefits.

I was really full and never hungry for at least the first week. I know my hormones are way out of balance because I did not have functioning hunger signals. I felt full all the time for the first week... and then it got better and I actually am starting to get hungry before meal times! Breakfast is still hard but I'm working on it!

Kombucha also really helped me get over the slump. I started making slightly smaller portions and having a little bit of Kombucha and it totally turned things around. Keep it up, you can totally do it! I'm excited to make it 30 days of being 100% in control of what is going in to my body!

• 2 weeks later...

This is me to a "T" also.

I was really full and never hungry for at least the first week. I know my hormones are way out of balance because I did not have functioning hunger signals. I felt full all the time for the first week... and then it got better and I actually am starting to get hungry before meal times! Breakfast is still hard but I'm working on it!

For whatever it's worth, I'm on day 22 and still experiencing this in the morning. I skip breakfast a lot of days; I feel bad about doing it, but literally make myself sick trying to eat. Even if I feel some physical hunger in the mornings, I am repulsed by the thought of eating food (but that's a whole different issue, I'm guessing). I have zero clue what's going on with that or how to get around it!

Hang in there! It took me probably 6-7 whole30 attempts to get this far in the process with 100% compliance!

I am not as hungry as I used to be either, but one of the things you learn as you do a Whole30 is what true hunger actually is. When eating an unhealthy diet, a lot of people eat because they think they are hungry but actually are not. I have reached the point (and this is my 3rd whole30) where I know when I'm hungry and when I just think I am.

I found this was the case too in the early going. I could eat a couple of slices of bacon and a couple of eggs for breakfast and be full right up until lunch time. Now i'm around 6 months in and ravenous for every meal. I'm eating pounds and pounds of meat, fish and vegetables and at least 25 eggs a week!! It's getting very time consuming to prepare and eat meals!! Good job I have a passion for cooking and eating as I can see how some might find it a chore!!

• 2 weeks later...

, I am repulsed by the thought of eating food (but that's a whole different issue, I'm guessing). I have zero clue what's going on with that or how to get around it!

I am on day 19 and repulsed by eating anything. Yesterday I only managered a cup of soup. This morning I took 2 bites of breakfast and was literally gagging I had to stop eating. I would like to know why this is happening to. Technically my BMR is over 2500 calories per day so I should be hungry but every time I think about food it makes me naseaus. I also dont know how to fix it. I am just going to give it time.

It might be something you're eating that your stomach doesn't like. For me, for breakfast, it was avocado. I forced myself to eat it for four days and after day 4, my stomach hurt like mad. I stopped eating it and suddenly I felt much better with breakfast.

I am finding that going longer between meals is fine now. I almost have an issue if I have to have less than 5 hours between meals for whatever reason because I'm just eating things that stick with me. It used to be that cereal would leave me starvingly hungry (stomach growling) after an hour. Now my food is sticking with me!

Archived