Day 4, making big changes, craving my old habits

Jill M Edwards

Sometime around the time I turned 30, I decided that I would run a marathon for my 40th birthday, something epic to ring in this milestone, instead of the normal, drink too much, eat too much, feel horrible the next day celebration.

In January, I turned forty, left the icy high desert of Wyoming and ran the DisneyWorld Marathon in Florida.

Despite all the exercise and training that went into getting ready, along with a regular exercise regime, I am at least 50 pounds overweight, still feeling bloated, asthmatic, I have nightly acid reflux and excema, just a general feeling of dis-ease.

A FB friend kept posting about her Whole30 (she is getting ready to start her 2nd Whole30), and another friend has been telling me about how detrimental grains are for a couple of years now. I checked out the whole30 link on my FB friend's page and started checking it all out.

So with that, here I am day 4. My two kids are still eating the same stuff they have always eaten, My husband eats what I make but adds whatever he wants to his, this hasn't been as hard on me as i thought it would be.

Day 1 and 2, the eating was a bit of a challenge, the bigger challenge, severe headache, and a "weird" stomach ache.

Day 3: felt ok, no headache, super sleepy. Realized I haven't needed any antacids or my inhaler.

Day 4: Feeling good, not really hungry between meals, as they are satisfying, but I am craving everything and anything that I can see laying around, Cheez-its, chocolate, buttery noodles, pizza, bacon (with sugar, can't find any breakfast meats without), my husband's ice cold Blue Moon Agave beer. Ugh. Haven't caved and I won't, but I have probably had a little too much fruit this afternoon, like 3-4 servings, I didn't have any fruit with breakfast or lunch and I am not planning on any for dinner, the cravings have passed...for now.

So far, I have learned that I had eaten a lot more "junk" than I realized, a handful here, a sip of something there, I actually LIKE being more consciencious. Starting to figure out how to slowly implement these changes into my kids diets and excited to see where this journey will lead.

Jill,

Sounds like you're on the right track. A great tip I've learned on the forum is to store all those off limits "food" items in a large tote so that you don't have to see them every single day - out of sight, out of mind. Your kids and hubby can find what they want and should be responsible for putting things back in the tote. I bet they would be willing to support you in that way!

I am certain that you will continue to see amazing results!

Best wishes!

• Moderators

Jill,

It helps to avoid fruit until after your sugar cravings die off. The sweetness of fruit keeps the sugar cravings alive and they are better off dead. Eating protein and a little fat is actually the best food to combat sugar cravings. A handful of olives and a piece of leftover chicken is a good choice.

Hang in there!

Thanks for the tips!

Tom, I think you are right, I will try steering clear of fruit for a few days and see how that works for me.

Jeanye, My kiddos are 2 and 4, the 4 year old can probably work on the tote concept, we'll have to work on the pesky 2 year old and husband :)

Day 5: I feel really great, not sure if it is related, but I have been suffering with Plantar Faciatis since just before my son was born (so 2.5 years) my foot pain is miraculously gone! Could it be????

Breakfast: 2 hardboiled eggs mashed up 1/4 cup sweet potato and a sprinkle of hazelnuts (actually tastier than I thought it would be), coffee with a splash of coconut milk

Suprise trip to Fort Collins to be with my Dad for foot surgery with no meals packed.

Lunch at Snooze, an amazing breakfast/lunch place where I showed amazing control: 2 poached eggs on a bed of wilted arugula, asparagus, red peppers, mushrooms, and onions, black coffee

Snack: Pre Tom's advice, big bottle of water and a small mixed fruit salad, about 1.5 servings, from Whole Foods for my drive home. Not too shabby considering my sister was in the passenger seat with a big bottle of chocolate milk and giant chocolate bar...sigh.

Dinner: 3 giant grilled prosciutto wrapped scallops with grilled baby portebella mushrooms, onions, red peppers, yellow squash.

Been drinking lots of water, but feeling very thirsty.

Day 6:

Breakfast grilled chicken breast, left over grilled veggies (mushroom, onion, peppers, squash )on a big bed of mixed greens.

Snack: handful of kalamata olive

Dinner: pork roast with carrots, broccoli, cauliflower.

Feeling freakishly fantastic, went to my Aunt's 60th birthday party, didn't feel tempted by cake, ice cream or cocktails.

Day 7:

Breakfast: 1/4 cup pumpkin, 2 hard boiled eggs smashed into it, sprinkled with chopped hazelnuts

coffee with coconut milk

Lunch: Grilled chiicken breast on top of a big salad with 1/2 an avocado

Dinner: Shrimp stirfry served over mixed greens, side of Asparagus with a little clarified butter and lemon juice.

Feeling not quite as fantastic tonight.

I am really tired after my Crossfit class today and feeling achy.

Constipated, I am usually REALLY regular, but I haven't gone yet today, right before dinner, I got the worst tummy ache and pretty serious bloating. I know once I remedy this (use the facilities) I am going to feel great...ugh.

Hi Jill!

Congratulations on day 7! I hope your freakishly fantastic feeling will return soon! For what it's worth, I was very backed up the first week of the whole 30 but I just lived with it and it passed. Eating a large sweet potato every day helps. Also, I get a really bad stomach ache every time I eat avocado :( Rest and recover days, sleep, as well as more food always helps with the tiredness. You don't eat very much! Good luck!

GoGo, Do you think I should be eating more?

Day 8:

I am feeling so much better today!!! Wow, last night was rough, but it passed, thank goodness.

The best part of today, the first 4 customers at my coffeeshop this morning commented on "how great I look" I didn't really even notice this until my employee told me, "that is 4 now" totally put a spring in my step. I went through my closet to get rid of some clothes that have been too small for so long that i am just giving up. Decided to try a few of them on...they all fit. Yay Whole30!

Breakfast: Left over shrimp stir-fry scrambled into 3 eggs

3 cups of coffee (I forgot I had already had two until I was feeling the effects of having 3)

Lunch: Tuna on a bed of greens with avocado and lemon juice

Snack: One date rolled in unsweetened coconut flakes

Dinner: T-bone with onions, portabellas, asparagus on a bed of greens.

Feeling good, planning a step aerobics class at 5:45 a.m. tomorrow.

I have been 100% compliant until tonight which as totally accidental.

Had sashimi for dinner with what I thought were coconut aminos ( which I think are compliant) about thirty minutes after dinner I am mid asthma attack, I have two patches of excema just appearing. I started looking at everything I ate for dinner, they were just liquid animosity, made out of soy. Arrrggghh. I must have grabbed the wrong ones off the shelf at our co-op. Needless to say I am having a violent reaction.

My question is, do I have to start my whole 30 from scratch, or can I just chalk this up to a stupid mistake?

Archived