Weekly meal planning/portion help!

Nicole M

So, I have been paleo-ing for a few months now, and have definitely learned that lack of planning = eating crappy foods for me and for my hubby. I try to plan ahead, but herein lies my problem. My husband eats SO MUCH..I feel like I can triple recipes and STILL not have left overs!

Anyone who has been doing this awhile have any words of wisdom on how to overcome this issue? I literally make a ton of food, with the intention of having left overs for work lunches and such, and he eats it all! Maybe I should tell him to stop eating so much? :P

Please help!!! Thanks, thanks, thanks!

Nicole

Hi Nicole!

I had this same problem when we first made the switch. Here are my suggestions for you:

1) Take out your "leftovers" before dinner. Stick them in the fridge so they're out of sight and out of mind. One of the first things we discovered when we took on this style of eating was that my husband's food clearing behavior was habitual, and not coming from a real need for more food. He had just always gone last in line, so to speak, and cleaned up what was left of the food. When I started taking out food before we ate, he never complained of too little food on the table, he just finished what was there. It sounds like you're making enough to cover your bases, so I bet he won't miss it.

2) Feed him extra fat. Try to encourage him to eat more avocados, add a little extra mayo to his tuna, etc. to help keep his brain satisfied for as long as his belly is.

3) Get him his own snacks - cans of salmon and tuna are excellent options, as are dry roasted nuts and carrots (seriously, the hubs eats 3 lbs of carrots a week. On his own.) Sometimes when folks over eat on this program, it's because they are afraid they'll be hungry between meals. If he feels like there's always something he can eat if he's hungry, he may not feel the compulsion to eat so much at meal times.

Hope this helps!

It does help, thanks! I'll try those ideas out. I think he is just so used to eating a TON of food, and he is a pretty big, muscular guy, that I think he believes he needs it.

As far as meal planning goes, are there programs or information that can help out? I have tried to really plan everything out, down to nightly meals... but this seems to be a very daunting and overwhelming task (especially since I end up cooking more meals because of the portion problem)... I get bored because I end up with salads with chicken or tuna nearly every day because my planned "leftovers" were eaten by hubs... which leads to "I'll just eat (insert gross, processed food here) this once" (which NEVER works). If I leave it up to chance, it never works out right and we both end up cheating... I don't want to be frustrated by this process, it is definitely a learning curve!

• Moderators

I like to cook a roast, chicken, or rabbit several times per week in my slow cooker. The prep takes minutes and the 3-5 pounds of meat lasts me a few days. Once I have meat, I can always wilt some greens or roast some veggies quickly to make a meal. There are a lot of slow cooker recipes on my website (and more coming).

I fill plates from the slow cooker when the food is ready and then put the rest away in the refrigerator. I never lay it out on a platter on the table.

Well Fed covers how much food you should buy for each person each week, but unless you find a way to deal with the "food clearing" problem I doubt they will help. They're predicated on each person understanding how much he/she actually needs. Although maybe following the guidelines for the author's husband would help yours?

I second the Well Fed information, very helpful. Also, we are pretty big eaters in my home as well so like Robin said...portion out your leftovers first...I always make sure to portion out at least one leftover meal for myself before everyone digs in.

Archived