Chicken vegetable soup

Mom2A&M

When you have the stock, the rest is simple. I have a big batch of stock cooling right now. This is what I will do with some of it. I also have all of the chicken from the whole chicken that I cooked in my slow cooker to get the stock going.

I will chop up leeks (onions are fine), garlic, carrots, celery and mushrooms. Heat coconut oil or ghee in an appropriately sized pot. Saute onions until translucent, add garlic for 30-60 seconds until fragrent. Add carrots and celery. Saute for about 4-5 minutes until carrots are tenderish. Add mushrooms. Add any spices or herbs you want. I like thyme, salt and pepper. Add chicken and stock and let simmer for just a couple of minutes.

If you want a Mexican type soup, add chipotle chili powder and cayenne after the veggies. Let cook for 1-2 minutes before adding stock and chicken. Add a can of compliant tomatoes. I like spicy, so I add lots of cayenne and chipotle chili powder.

Carolyn, I roasted a whole chicken in the oven. I picked off the meat from the bones to save for later. I put the carcas in a stock pot with water, onion, garlic, carrots and celery salt and pepper and simmered for 5 hours. Then drained the "liquid gold" to cool. I stored it in the freezer in freezer bags. I haven't gotten to beef bone broth yet, waiting to have a beef roast.

Slw600... I'm over thinking it! It's all new to me, I was never much of a cook/chef. Sound very simple, thanks!

I just made chicken zoodle soup. I put the broth, cubed chicken breast, carrots, celery, leeks and zucchini that I used a julienne peeler ($10 at whole foods or on amazon) to turn into zoodles into my pressure cooker for 15 minutes. Since most people don't have a pressure cooker (although everyone should because they are AWESOME! ) you can use a crock pot or do it on the stove and adjust the time. I also seasoned with herbs de Provence, salt and pepper. Easy peasy!

Mom, you definitely have the hard part down with the stock made. Sky is the limit now. :0) I made a thai version yesterday. I used coconut milk, fresh ginger, cilantro and lemon grass. Plus the usual carrots, leeks, celery, mushrooms, thai chilis and a little curry paste. Then I sprinkle bean sprouts on top for crunch. So good.

I forgot to say I mixed in some mashed sweet potato too. I wanted some richness.

Funny... I made shrimp with Thai green curry last night and basically used your recipe.... and I served it on top of mashed sweet potato..... Really good combo! I could eat it every night.....

Funny... I made shrimp with Thai green curry last night and basically used your recipe.... and I served it on top of mashed sweet potato..... Really good combo! I could eat it every night.....

I already had a whole chicken worth of meat from using it to start the stock or I would have used shrimp. Good idea to make a curry and serve it over sweet potatoes. Having that soon!

I just made chicken zoodle soup. I put the broth, cubed chicken breast, carrots, celery, leeks and zucchini that I used a julienne peeler ($10 at whole foods or on amazon) to turn into zoodles into my pressure cooker for 15 minutes. Since most people don't have a pressure cooker (although everyone should because they are AWESOME! ) you can use a crock pot or do it on the stove and adjust the time. I also seasoned with herbs de Provence, salt and pepper. Easy peasy!

Zoodles are my new favorite thing!!

I already had a whole chicken worth of meat from using it to start the stock or I would have used shrimp. Good idea to make a curry and serve it over sweet potatoes. Having that soon!

Something about the combo of spicy pungent ginger and lemon grass and green chili.... Mixed with the creamy coconut.... Then the rich sweetness of the sweetpotato.... It's a party in your mouth! Home run!

Archived