Articles re: benefits of eating grassfed, pastured beef

Joydle

Good evening!

I was recently married, and my new husby is extremely skeptical of the grass-fed, pastured beef / organic chicken stuffs that I've been buying. He sent me a few links to articles meant to disprove the thought that it's better for us. I gave him the 13th chapter to read from ISWF, but do you all have any articles that I could share with him?

He grouses about the cost (I can buy meat at Price Chopper for $2/lb), and thinks that if people have been eating this stuff without trouble for this long, we should be able to continue doing so.

Help?

If you haven't already, you should check out the documentary Food Inc. There are several other movies too, but i can't think of the names off hand. It's a real visual eye opener to how the livestock is treated in factory farming. When you hear about the stressful lives these animals live, all the added antibiotics they need as a result, and how that is passed on to the quality of their meat, it really hits home. Whether its meat, milk, or eggs, I really think the increase in price is worth it after seeing some of these movies.

• Moderators

I would not bet on articles changing your husband's mind. Only a scientist really changes his mind based upon science and really only a subset of them. Most of us only pay attention to what we already believe.

I did not start buying organic or grass-fed because I thought it was better for me. I noticed that the organic carrots I bought at the grocery store when they were out of the cheap ones tasted better. I started exploring organic food and discovered that I appreciated the taste of the more expensive stuff, so I kept buying it. It took me almost two years before I bought organic/grass-fed food frequently. What really worked for me is that I started buying eggs from a farmer I knew from church. I started visiting the farm. Seeing his chickens, rabbits, and sheep and seeing how proud he was of his veggies convinced me that I wanted to support this kind of farmer and this kind of food. The journey from my first organic carrots until today is probably 3 or 3.5 years. Give your husband time. Just fix good food and see if he doesn't come around eventually.

The book "Deep Nutrition" was the deal-changer for me. After reading that, I was committed to eating grassfed/finished and pastured meat and eggs exclusively. You mention being newly married; if you're considering having children I strongly recommend reading this book before you get pregnant.

Personally I think it's hard for someone new to this to "just fix good food" with pastured meat. When I began buying pastured, I had some spectacularly bad experiences cooking roasts for my extended family when it was my turn to cook at our weekly dinner. They tolerate my meals when it's my turn to cook. But they see me paying so much more, and the meat doesn't turn out as tender and juicy as the grain-fed roasts and steaks they buy at Costco.

I've had luck with smaller (and fattier) cuts of pastured meat that I've cooked for myself. Maybe I'm not a good enough cook but I'm sure not making any converts in my family by trying to just fix good food.

Teresa Terez

[Oops! Used my given name by mistake!]

Thank you! I have seen Food, Inc. (as has he...and he hated it...blergh), and am currently on my second Whole30, so he's getting a feel for the real deal here. The meals are much better this time around than the first! ha. He just keeps asking me to stop buying the pastured, grain-fed meats.

Susan, that is true--I need to just be watching all of those for anything to send his way.

Teresa, thank you. That book looks extremely interesting and right up my alley!

For more of a look at the animal husbandry (including fishing industries), try checking out Eating Animals. Very well-written and a great look into all aspects of animal production from farm or ocean to table. Slaughter methods, antibiotic usage, etc. The guy who wrote it is a self-described "vegetarian who sometimes eats meat" who did all of the research because he was having a child (well, his wife was) and he wanted to be able to explain WHY they ate a certain way.

For more of a look at the animal husbandry (including fishing industries), try checking out Eating Animals. Very well-written and a great look into all aspects of animal production from farm or ocean to table. Slaughter methods, antibiotic usage, etc. The guy who wrote it is a self-described "vegetarian who sometimes eats meat" who did all of the research because he was having a child (well, his wife was) and he wanted to be able to explain WHY they ate a certain way.

After watching Food, Inc., I was eating grass-fed/pastured occasionally/sometimes, when it fit the budget, etc. And then I read this book. I looked at the remaining conventional chicken in my refrigerator, and I apologized to it. I switched immediately to all grass-fed/pastured/local. The few times I've bought conventional since I've felt like a terrible person, and I've again apologized to the animals for supporting that system.

(That said, the book starts off saying that he isn't trying to convince you, the reader, to also become vegetarian, but as the book progresses he begins to beat that drum louder and louder as the descriptions of the animals' treatment becomes more horrific and more graphic. It didn't convince me to give up eating animals, but rather to look for animals that had been treated well and humanely.)

(That said, the book starts off saying that he isn't trying to convince you, the reader, to also become vegetarian, but as the book progresses he begins to beat that drum louder and louder as the descriptions of the animals' treatment becomes more horrific and more graphic. It didn't convince me to give up eating animals, but rather to look for animals that had been treated well and humanely.)

I can't wait until I get somewhere with a farmer I can buy humanely treated meat from! Here in Germany, the laws are a little different regarding animal treatment, but there are no alternatives that I've found. I'm only here another 5 months, so it could be worse, but still...I wish I could get more guaranteed humanely raised stuff here!

Archived