Green Smoothies

bljf1006

Most mornings I have eggs with a green smoothie. I'm wondering if it's going to still be ok for me to have a green smoothie on Whole30. My smoothies are usually a banana, 3 cups of lettuce, a few berries, and another form of green, such as celery. I try to make sure I have more vegetables than fruit. Please tell me it's still ok!! I've already given up half and half and sugar which was a HUGE deal for me...

It's not recommended. If you get a chance to read "It Starts With Food," they explain in detail why. But basically the issues with smoothies are:

1. usually you're getting more fruit than anything else & that's quite a hit of sugar to start your day with

2. your body isn't as satiated as when you eat & chew your food, and this often leads to snacking

3. most smoothies aren't going to have the protein in them that's recommended.

I just finished my first Whole30 and had smoothies a few times in the beginning before realizing they were even off limits. It was a bit of a challenge to eat other things for breakfast at first, but then it became easy. I found egg cups to be a great morning replacement, easy to cook up the night before. Also a big salad with berries & some chicken sausage. So my advice to you is to try going without them. I know it will be painful, but it's only 30 days. And you may totally surprise yourself by the end to discover that you don't miss them. (I know I am---I definitely had a rough go of it for much of my experience but am just now really starting to feel the good stuff!)

Well that really sucks, I just bought a Vitamix :( is it just not recommended to START the day that way?? I LOVE my smoothies. I'll take them anytime of the day. Also, is it just for the 30 days? Or forever?? I'm just finishing chapter 15 of the book, so I haven't gotten to the part about smoothies apparently :)

I still use my Vitamix to make soups & pumpkin-meat pie (another on-the-go breakfast favorite of mine: 1 can of pumpkin or 2 cups fresh cooked, 3 eggs, 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice, 4 tablespoons of coconut flour, 1 cup of cooked meat--ground turkey or chicken sausage, 1 banana OR 2 dates. Mix everything together in vitamix, pour into coconut oiled pan & bake at 350 for 1hr). Vitamix is also super handy to chop up veggies for salads and for mixing sauces. I still find myself using it at least once a day, even without the smoothies! And only 30 days, after that you can return to smoothies if you choose. I know at some point I'll be making some again, I love them too. But during your 30 days it's better if you don't have them.

I use my Vitamix for all kinds of stuff! Used it today to make deviled eggs(don't want ANY chunks in there) and also use it to make creamed soups. Smoothies are never ideal, but only absolutely outlawed for 30 days. You will find tons of stuff to do with that beautiful blender! I got mine for Christmas, right before my Jan Whole30.

I too, love my Vitamix. I've just discovered it really does mince meat. I made pork breakfast patties and chicken burgers with meat I minced myself :) You just cut the meat into one inch cubes, switch on the Vitamix at 4 - 6, and drop the meat a cupful at a time through the hole in the lid. It takes seconds and it works!. I was so sceptical but my mincer had broken so gave it a try. I'll never use anything else again.

Wow!! That's amazing! Thank you Kirsteen! I am so excited to learn how to do so many new things and experiment. I chose February because I'm only working a couple days a week every week and we have no social plans that could kill my efforts (I.e. football season is over ;) ) so I'm taking all that extra time to learn as much as I can, prep, and make this experience as yummy as possible for my husband and I. I welcome any and all tips!

Hi Everyone. Thanks for the tip Melody. I started my whole 30 today and read the book beforehand. I wanted to make freshly squeezed oranges and carrot/beet juice in juicer but was not sure if I should. The book states that using fruit juices as sweetner is Ok but not sure if it means I can drink the orange juice I make. I don't want to cheat myself so wanted to get your perspectives. Help!

PS: 2 hours ago for breakfast, I made the frittata recipe in the book with my own twist and I am still full and full of pep. Hope it continues :)

Thanks!

Hi, heres what the book says about juice

"Skip the juice, even if you make it yourself. First liquid calories aren't as satiating as real food and, as we'e learned, less satiaty equals eating more. Second when you juice. you're removing all of the fibre. which would normally slow the absorption of the sugar in whole fruit. More sugar in your bloodstream faster is not a good thing when you're still struggling with leptin and insulin resistance."

Ginger can be made into a delicious tea, just by pouring boiling water over it minced!

I think another potential problem with smoothies is that chewing helps to start the digestion process because your saliva starts to digest it before you swallow. Smoothies don't get that added help to digest and so it can mess up your digestive system.

I loved fruit smoothies, especially as a post-workout or breakfast ingredient, so I was really sad that they're out too...my blender has been awesome at making homemade mayo though! Loving my homemade mayo!

Archived