Body Fat % up?

I measures my body fat at the gym (with just the hand held device- which I know isn't totally accurate) but postW30, my # went up about 3%. I know I haven't lost much weight, but I have definitely lost inches. I'm concerned about an increase in body fat though, just because I'd like the number to go down. I am continuing my W30 to more of a lifestyle change so, should I maybe expect that my body fat will normalize after a while- since it's still getting used to consuming more fat? Thank you in advance for your responses :)

That handheld device at the gym is not accurate at all. Differences in your level of hydration, the time of day, etc. will cause it to swing wildly to such an extreme that I can't see the benefit of using it at all. If you have not lost weight but have gotten smaller, then chances are very very good that your body fat percentage is lower, not higher. Do you feel better? Do you think you look better? Those are much better indicators that the program is working.

When I first started going to the gym, one of their "experts" hand-measured my body fat using the calipers and put me at 24%. Awful! So I began running daily and lifting weights. Over a period of 5 months, I lost about 30 lbs. They measured me again. 24%. The calipers are bogus. Don't believe 'em.

Ottagon, are you male or female? If you are a woman, you should know that 24% body fat is not "awful" at all, it's actually considered quite fit. A woman would have a hard time staying healthy at less than 10-13% body fat, and most athletes you see are around 15-20%. men are different. Also it is quite possible to lose 30 lbs and stay the same BF percentage. It just means you lost equal amounts of fat and lean mass--depending on how much running you were doing vs. strength training, and considering you must have been at a calorie deficit, losing lean mass is pretty likely.

All that said, yes, calipers are pretty unreliable too, especially if you have a different person taking the measurements each time. Great job on the weight loss, running, strength training, etc.!

Ottagon, are you male or female? If you are a woman, you should know that 24% body fat is not "awful" at all, it's actually considered quite fit. A woman would have a hard time staying healthy at less than 10-13% body fat, and most athletes you see are around 15-20%. men are different. Also it is quite possible to lose 30 lbs and stay the same BF percentage. It just means you lost equal amounts of fat and lean mass--depending on how much running you were doing vs. strength training, and considering you must have been at a calorie deficit, losing lean mass is pretty likely.

All that said, yes, calipers are pretty unreliable too, especially if you have a different person taking the measurements each time. Great job on the weight loss, running, strength training, etc.!

^ what she said. 24%? My goal is to get down to 30%. If you're a woman saying 24% is awful, and you're not a world class marathoner, maybe you should cut yourself some slack.

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone interested, There is a pretty intense equation that takes into consideration all of your measurements. Wrist, arms, hips, waist, etc. Try looking into that. There's a different equation for men vs. women and it seems pretty accurate. At least as accurate as you can get without being put in a (expensive!) dunk tank.

For anyone interested, There is a pretty intense equation that takes into consideration all of your measurements. Wrist, arms, hips, waist, etc. Try looking into that. There's a different equation for

men vs. women and it seems pretty accurate.

I've done this before online- just plugged all my numbers in- and learned I have what is considered a "large" frame which meant I had a lot less body fat than the bmi charts thought I had at 5'6".

But really, all of these numbers are arbitrary. I'm convinced that happiness and confidence decrease your body fat percentage by at least 4% each.

I'd also like to add that it's wintertime and the shorter days do have our body's biologically set to hold on to more fat. I always get a little "upholstery" in winter that just magically disappears at spring/summer.

I've done this before online- just plugged all my numbers in- and learned I have what is considered a "large" frame which meant I had a lot less body fat than the bmi charts thought I had at 5'6".

But really, all of these numbers are arbitrary. I'm convinced that happiness and confidence decrease your body fat percentage by at least 4% each.

That's cool! I've always believed that those BMI charts are bogus. According to them when I started my w30, I was 10lbs overweight for my height, but my body fat % was 27. Which is normal for a woman. Granted, I'd like to be in the 21-24%, but I'm not overweight by any means.

I totally agree that you just need to feel good with your body instead of going by that someone else tells you feels good. If you feel like you have something to work on, then work on it, if u feel amazing, then work it!

Archived