Sauerkraut and pickles - comment and question

AmyS

Sauerkraut:

I've been reading about sauerkraut on the forums. I grew up eating it fairly regularly (German ancestry and all that) but haven't had it in years. So last night I got some at the grocery store and had some with chicken apple sausage (couldn't find compliant bratwurst in my grocery store). Yummy!

Also, I noticed that as others have pointed out, it did help - lots - with my digestion. I am going to keep it in regular rotation. Plus, did I say it was yummy? Oh, I did? Well, it was. Yummy. Also, good memories from childhood.

Pickles:

Question regarding pickles: where do you find compliant pickles? I looked at every pickle jar in my grocery store and they all have bizarre ingredients ranging from multi-syllable preservatives (including the refrigerator case pickles) to Yellow No. 5. I now realize why pickles always made me feel nasty. I've never eaten a commercially prepared pickle that didn't have nasties in it. Help me source a good pickle. (Same goes for pepperoncini, by the way - all the bottles at my grocery store had weird coloring and preservative ingredients. Most disappointing.)

Amy Bubbies makes compliant pickles. They are easy to find here but not sure if they are available over in paradise. :) Maybe you want to make your own?

Bubbies - I will look.

I am not interested in making my own at this time, I say, staring at you over my reading glasses.

:P

@mrsstick - you can still make the pickles without the sugar. I HATE sweet tasting pickles, so I've modified many a refrigerator pickle recipe. They taste so much better without the sugar, and since you're keeping them in the refrigerator anyway, I don't think the sugar has much of a preservative effect. I eat them so quickly that it's never been a problem.

Just never modify any kind of pickle recipe that calls for water bath or pressure canning.

• 5 months later...

Bubbies are in Whole Foods, in the refrigerated section of the produce department. The dills and sauerkraut are fermented and compliant. The other pickels have sugar and ar not.  There is also a dill relish that is great and compliant.

My husband is Polish and grew up in a Polish neighborhood with Delis that had homemade pickles and kraut. He says the Bubbies are great.

Archived