Best eggs to buy

Hi all,

I'm starting my first Whole30 tomorrow and went food shopping today. I had a difficult time deciding on what eggs to purchase but I ended up with Cage Free Vegetarian Fed Hen eggs. Any feedback and recommendations on this is appreciated. :)

Sheesh. There are NO commercially available GMO chickens*. There are no GMO eggs. Some of the eggs from the pastured chickens that I buy at the farmers market are the biggest I've ever seen. They make the box bulge.

GMO corn is often fed to factory farm chickens. That's a bad thing. GMOs are a bad thing. Misinformation about GMOs does NOT help the anti GMO cause.

*There are some experimental GMO chickens in the UK bred to be unable to spread bird flu. They are not on the market.

When I was out in San Francisco a few months ago I saw these 'omega 3 eggs'. Absolutely blew me away the amount of extra rubbish that is on the shelves of super markets. They claimed to be feeding the chickens more omega 3 laden foods to encourage it into the egg... If you're so shorting on omega 3, eat a fish, don't eat eggs that have been screwed with.

Completely agree about buying eggs locally. There are a lot of unsubstantiated claims over conditions of chickens - if you can shake the hand of the farmer who picked the egg, you're onto a winner!

Joggingjohn. I'm pretty sure those eggs actually have omega 3 in them. They feed the chickens flax seed and this produces the increased omega 3 in their eggs. Its not like they inject omgea 3 into the eggs or anything, its a natural process.

In addition, unless you get your eggs from a farm where you know what is going on then most commercially available eggs come from some sinister sources (unethical chicken conditions in my opinion)

I made the mistake of buying "cage free, vegetarian-fed" eggs that turned out to be from a factory egg farm. The package said no hormones or antibiotics added*. Added to what? The chickens? The feed? The eggs? They looked and tasted exactly like regular commercial eggs. I think the big companies often play games with words. Why the asterisk?

Now I only buy eggs that say, in plain English, "organic" and that have the certified organic symbol on the package. But you still need to be careful. I read a while ago that Eggland is one of the biggest offenders when it comes to misdirection. Their eggs may be organic, but the hens spend their lives in cramped cages just like at any other factory farm. I wish we had more options for pastured eggs down here, but South Florida is not the optimum climate for egg production.

• 1 month later...

I recently heard that soy can be found in the yolks of eggs of chickens who are fed a soy diet and that this is like other soy feed, an increasing phenomenon. If this is true, I would think my whole30 up until now has been flawed.

Can someone please speak to this. I find buying eggs very confusing and I have finally found and read the link above, but still no mention of soy.

Thanks!

Michelle -

for the purposes of your Whole30, don't worry about the soy that may or may not be in your eggs. If you can, buy eggs from farmers you can talk to - then, if soy is a concern to you, you can look for eggs from chickens that are not soy fed. If that's not an option, just make the best choice you can along this continuum.

Organic, Pastured>Organic>"Cage Free">Omega3 enriched> Conventional>Egg Beaters

Hope that helps!

• 1 month later...

Archived