Organic Grain Vinegar (in Organic Dijon Mustard)

bookishrunner

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old topic, but I have a similar question.  I also have an organic Dijon mustard that contains "organic grain vinegar," but it says "gluten free" on the label (see attached photos).  Do you think it is okay to use?  I -really- want to make some paleo mayo.

post-33090-0-05362400-1374204959_thumb.j

post-33090-0-70518700-1374204965_thumb.j

I know this is an old topic, but I have a similar question.  I also have an organic Dijon mustard that contains "organic grain vinegar," but it says "gluten free" on the label (see attached photos).  Do you think it is okay to use?  I -really- want to make some paleo mayo.

I've never added that type of mustard to mayo - I thought it meant mustard powder. I've never used that either, instead adding alternative spices (onion/garlic powder, paprika etc), or just salt on its own :)

I've never added that type of mustard to mayo - I thought it meant mustard powder. I've never used that either, instead adding alternative spices (onion/garlic powder, paprika etc), or just salt on its own :)

I was going to use NomNomPaleo's recipe: http://nomnompaleo.com/post/39474749548/whole30-day-2-paleo-mayonnaise.  I suppose I could substitute ground mustard instead.  I just have that in my fridge and thought it'd be nice to use it up if I could. :)

I use well fed's recipe and that uses 1/2 tsp ground mustard, although I have been known to use a sploch of French's yellow instead when I am out of ground. Maybe you could save your mustard till after your whole 30 is done? 

This one may be a bit touchy, but I'd say you're probably fine here. In the future, you might opt for a mustard without (the amount in the recipe is minute, so really any mustard - powdered or condiment style) would likely taste the same :)

Archived