Pulled pork in Australia

Kate File

So I have bought a 2.8 kg pork shoulder to make my first ever pulled pork. Pulled pork being something I had never heard of before this forum. I have 2 recipes one being Tom Denhams from here) and am planning to cook it in the slow cooker with butternut pumpkin (do some call that squash?), onions and chicken broth.

Dumb question but my roast has the skin on. Do I leave it on or cut it off? Shame to not have crackling but that's not going to happen in a slow cooker! Or do I cook with on and wait for it to fall off.

Fat in the slow cooker is gross in my experience, get rid of it! I'm sure you could do it on the stove, probably won't need as long and you might need a bit more liquid in there... I've never done it though - I've only made pulled pork once in my life, and that was in the slow cooker. Ahem, I guess this has not been a helpful post :P

I say trim it off...but, make cracklings with it and sprinkle them on the pork after. I'm assuming this is from a pastured happy hog right? I think thats what you guys get there. If not, discard the skin and fat.

You can cut the shoulder in pieces to fit into your slow cooker or, start it on the stove to sear it and move it to the oven. Think low and slow for the oven portion.

Archived