Constant Headache...

kelliem

I am on day 27 of my first Whole 30. I was eating Primal prior to this Whole 30, so the diet change hasn't been that great (dairy, mostly). My issue is that I have had a constant low-grade headache for most of my Whole 30. Anyone have any experience with this, or thoughts on why it would be happening?

Funny, I was just thinking about this. I finished Whole30 #2 yesterday and this time I had headaches throughout. I tend to have headaches anyway, but they disappeared during my first W30 last summer. This time they persisted and in fact I felt just plain "not great" for much of this W30. The only thing I did differently this time was NOT snack and NOT eat dried fruit. I also gave up my liquid supplement this time because it had honey. (It never even occurred to me last time.) My diet was pretty clean when I started.

For lack of a better explanation, I have decided it's the weather. We have had a very warm and humid winter, and whether it's the pollen or low pressure, I've struggled. I drink lots of water and haven't been hungry at all (and have not experienced one single craving), so I don't know what else to think.

If someone has a better explanation I'd love to hear it.

hopefully it's just (somehow) your body adjusting and will go away, but there are a few types of "chronic daily headaches" out there:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/chronic-daily-headaches/DS00646/DSECTION=symptoms (look at new daily persistent headache, hemicrania continua, etc.). i would see a doctor just to rule out anything (but they might say oh, you just changed your diet??) is it constant or are three things that kind of "trigger" it?

some doctors also recommend a low fodmaps diet (cutting out tomato, eggplant, etc.)...

Well...the good thing is the sinus headaches stopped and I think dairy may be the issue there. I guess I'll find out soon enough (though what an awful way to have to find out!). I think it's just so odd that this month I've had this headache. It's not awful and I haven't even medicated for it. I just kinda' let it sit int he background doing its thing. I'll see what happens next week, when I start adding some things back in. Maybe a trip to the doc is in order.

Thanks so much for your feedback!

Oh, and by the way, nothing seems to trigger it. It's just there. And I've been eating fine, drinking lots. All is good...except the dull ache in my head. Weird, huh? The weather has been so crappy here for the last month that I might attribute it to that and we're waiting for another snow storm tommorrow. Weather has triggered migraines in the past, mostly in the summer when the humidity is unbearable.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been having constant headaches during my Whole 30 as well. I had them daily before starting and was really hoping they would go away. I am on day 18, and have had moments (brief) with no headache, but have had a headache most of the day for the enitre time. I'm also having jaw pain (also had that prior) which I think contributes to the headaches. I probably need to go to the doctor as well, but was really thinking it was realted to food as it seemed to get worse when I ate (plus when I've mentioned it to doctors in the past they just wanted to medicate them). They have stopped getting worse after eating since starting the Whole 30, so that is something I guess. They feel like tension type headaches and I also don't medicate them (unless it is my time of the month as they are pretty bad then).

Lately, my face has been bothering me too. It will get tingly and feel tight (hard to explain) I thought it was my make-up which was organic, but after researching it more found out it has soy in it among other things. I stopped using it yesterday and it seemed better but today after right lunch (Apple turkey burgers (chopped apples, ground turkey some spices), sweet potato with coconut butter, raw cucumbers and carrots) it started to feel tingly and tight again. Could this be an allergy to something I'm eating?

In addition, I probably have IBS. I went to a GI a long time ago and that is what he said (I was pretty young though and he didn't do any real testing) and it also runs in my family. I've been trying to avoid some of the things they say not to eat with IBS, though it is hard as I feel so limited. I didn't know if it could be the coconut? I really hope not as I like it a lot. I don't know if anyone has any ideas for me, but I'm so frustrated. I was really hoping to be feeling better at this point. My GI symptoms almost completely went away from the start, but these headaches just wont stop. The idea of giving up more things just makes me feel like crying as I feel so limited without eggs, tomatoes, peppers and all the other irritating foods. I'm already getting kind of bored with food even though I make something new for dinner each day. My family of 5 is all trying this together, so it is a lot of cooking for each meal and I'm doing things in batches so we have enough which means we eat a lot of the same breakfasts and lunches. Sorry for rambling on, it has been an emotional day and I just feel so frustrated lately. I think I just thought if I was eating healthier I would feel so much better. I know it is still kind of early in my Whole 30, but franlkly right now I'm not even sure I will continue to eat this way when my 30 (or probably 45-60) days are up unless I start to see some real improvements.

Archived