Coconut milk and GI issues?

CharlotteT

Started my first whole 30 on Monday and today i tried coconut milk in my coffee. I have had an upset stomach ALL day and decreased appetite. All the foods I have had today (eggs, sausage, tuna, fruit, nuts), I have had previously (pre-30) so I am wondering if it is the coconut milk? Anybody else experienced this??

Katey, I have absolutely no idea why that should be, but I'm exactly the same. I prefer my coffee black but was occasionally adding coconut milk to up my fat intake when I realised that every time I did that, I felt really yeuch after it. Yet in curry or soup, I'm fine with it. Shall we say we're just a pair of weirdos :)

I had terrible GI issues this morning! I added some coconut milk to my coffee, which I usually take black. I wanted to have some fat and something in my system before I went out for a run but within a few minutes, my stomach started to feel a little funny and then I had to go to the bathroom BADLY. I didn't make it out for my run this morning because I feared having issues while on the run.

I think I'll skip the coconut milk in my coffee from now on. Didn't have any problems with it in curry though.

Come to think of it, it was in coffee that it was giving me problems too. I quit coffee too. Today I tried the "bulletproof coffee" way (mine was Starbucks casi ciello though) whipped in the blender with ghee and coconut oil. That ha sounded so gross but it was yummy! And I'm not feeling bad yet! Maybe I'll crash later, but I have my moon cycle and have planned a day on the sofa anyways. Next I'll try coconut milk in curry. This would be happy news if I could add one or both of these back.

Katey, I have absolutely no idea why that should be, but I'm exactly the same. I prefer my coffee black but was occasionally adding coconut milk to up my fat intake when I realised that every time I did that, I felt really yeuch after it. Yet in curry or soup, I'm fine with it. Shall we say we're just a pair of weirdos :)

Glad to hear I'm not the only one :) Maybe it has to do with whether or not it is cooked.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one :) Maybe it has to do with whether or not it is cooked.

Hmmm.. It must have to do with the caffine, like Robin has suggested. I've had a lot of Asian desserts where uncooked coconut milk is added and I've always been fine. It's so darn delicious!! Definitely will avoid adding to caffine though.

I tried coffee again for the first time in weeks yesterday- but instead of coconut milk- I added ghee and coconut oil into the blender to make t "bulletproof". I have to say it's the first time I drank coffee that I didn't get a stomach ache or crash later.

Oh, and today I added a tbsp or toe of coconut milk to my butternut squash mash at breakfast- and two hours later still no stomach ache.

I don't even care why but I know coffee and coconut milk DON'T MIX

I'm not sure it's caffeine since I have been drinking 2 cups of coffee every morning for years before starting this. I have cut the coconut milk and haven't had any other issues but tonight I cooked some chicken in coconut oil and i'm sitting here with a belly ache again… :(

Archived