What is Potassium Meta Bisulphide?

• Moderators

I am afraid that potassium meta bisulphide is a sciencey variant of sulfites, one of the three ingredients the guidelines warn you to stay away from. Reading about potassium meta bisulphide on the web, I found warnings that some people have allergic reactions to this "food preservative." If some people have allergic reactions, the rest of us may have gut problems in response too.

I have found 3 or 4 varieties of coconut milk with only guar gum as an ingredient. You may need to check with another store or two. I have found okay coconut milks at 3 stores near me.

Sorry but no, that can's out I'm afraid. Sulphites are really nasty things. The book says they can cause 'significant dermatalogical, pulmonary, gastrointestinal and cardiovascular symptoms in sensitive people.' I know it is possible to get coconut milk without it and some may be able to tell you which brands.

Edited to add 'What Tom said' :) We were obviously typing at the same time.

Three brands of compliant coconut milk I have used are Thai Kitchen, Aroy-D, and Trader Joe's. Almost every other brand I have run into has sulfites, but I know there are a few more compliant ones. The ingredients should be only coconut milk and maybe water and guar gum.

Both the Trader Joes light and their coconut cream (what they call their full fat version) are compliant. The light is simply coconut and water. I like it because it mixes into hot or cold coffee and it's only 99 cents so I don't mind that they add water. The cream has an additive that I hadn't heard of but moderator Renee said it was fine.

I have found compliant co at Walmart as well as Kroger.

Yes they have my favorite one but have been out of it the last two times I have been there. Robin posted their corporate number so I called to whine and beg. Going tomorrow to see if it's back.

Thanks for the replies!

I shop Trader Joe's and only ever found Lite Coconut milk in a can there. They also have coconut cream in the baking section but I assume that is different?

That's the one I've had from there. I prefer not to buy lite coconut milk usually because I can add water myself if I need to, but it's good if I can only get to Trader Joe's. I assumed the cream was different, but refer to Susan's post. She says it's just what they call their full fat kind.

Ya know...I thought I had seen that Goya had bad stuff in it but I thought maybe it was different in different markets. I would return it telling them how nasty and unnecessary an ingredient it is. My store started carrying a compliant Thai Kitchen brand when I did that. Still working on them to carry the one that Walmart carries (my favorite and the cheapest) but so far no luck.

If you have an Asian market nearby, try looking there. That's where I found the Aroy-D brand. My nearby Asian market had upwards of ten choices, only two compliant, and Aroy-D the cheapest. You can also look for stuff like compliant hot sauces, cheap spices, and great vegetables like Chinese eggplant. :)

Archived