Can I double a mayo recipe?

AmyS

I have a mayo recipe that I like, but I'm using it so much that I'm running out in about two days. I'd like to double the recipe. Will that work? It's an immersion blender recipe:

1 whole egg

1 tablespoon lemon juice (or ACV)

1/2 teaspoon ground mustard

1/2 cup extra light in flavor olive oil

(and I add salt and spices that I like)

Can I just double the whole thing? Or is there another recipe I could use? Note: I really want to use the whole egg. Separating eggs to just use a yolk for mayo is so not going to rock my world. Also, I like the ground mustard, rather than prepared mustard. Err, what I'm saying is I like this recipe but I'm making it a lot. I want to make a lot of it instead. :lol:

I doubled mine and it came out just as good as the single version. I decided not to continue that because a double-batch lasts too long, and I worry about the raw egg. But if I was going through it faster, I would definitely continue. There was no difference in texture or taste.

• Moderators

I make my mayo with one whole egg, 1 and 1/4 cup of light olive oil, about 1/2 teaspoon of salt, about 1/2 teaspoon of mustard, and maybe two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar. Last night I added a few shakes of Chipotle chili powder to the mix. Sometimes I replace the ground mustard with a tablespoon of yellow Jamaican curry powder. So basically, it looks to me like you could add a lot more oil to your existing ingredients and still get good mayo.

I make my mayo with one whole egg, 1 and 1/4 cup of light olive oil, about 1/2 teaspoon of salt, about 1/2 teaspoon of mustard, and maybe two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar. Last night I added a few shakes of Chipotle chili powder to the mix. Sometimes I replace the ground mustard with a tablespoon of yellow Jamaican curry powder. So basically, it looks to me like you could add a lot more oil to your existing ingredients and still get good mayo.

Sounds good - I'm glad to know the formula is so flexible!

• 2 weeks later...

Mayo keeps at least as long as the egg it was made from so if your eggs are dated, say 21st March it will keep til then. One website I came across said it could be used a week beyond this, which makes sense to me as eggs actually are still good long after their use by date (I check my eggs by putting them in a bowl of water, providing they still touch the bottom, I use them, if they actually float, I toss) also the acid in the vinegar or lemon juice helps keep it and stop the growth of any bacteria.

When I first started making it I was pretty paranoid and always wrote the date on it. Now I don't bother, if it looks, smells and tastes ok it gets used :)

Archived