Can I have Sweet Potatoes every day?

vtgekko

I can't find the answer to this question. If this isn't the right spot, please direct me. I'm only on Day 1 of my very first Whole30 and I love sweet potatoes. I plan/want to eat them for breakfast most days (or even every day) but is that okay? I was planning on making them like a fried potato with coconut oil, peppers, onions and meat and eggs. I just want to make sure this is compliant.

Also, any substitutions or compliant ketchups out there? I have found none :(

I eat them every day!!! it's my breakfast every morning (sweet potato hash with bacon and onion...EVERY DAY and I'm on day 62? or 63?) I know people who work out a lot eat more sweet potato than I do, I only have about 1/3 to 1/2 with my breakfast.

as far as my activity level I go to CF 3x a week, so I'm not hugely active...

• I recently started eating them everyday as part of my breakfast. I find that they keep me alert and very full. I tend to work out a lot and include strength training so the sweet potato has been a welcome addition to my breakfast. :lol:

I eat them every day!!! it's my breakfast every morning (sweet potato hash with bacon and onion...EVERY DAY and I'm on day 62? or 63?) I know people who work out a lot eat more sweet potato than I do, I only have about 1/3 to 1/2 with my breakfast.

How do you make your hash?

I use the same ketchup recipe that 1Maryann posted above. I don't add dates to it though. It doesn't taste like ketchup really, but it tastes good as it's own thing. I'm so used to eating it now that when I do eat "regular" sweetened ketchup, it actually tastes too sweet!

Oh and also, if you mix that paleo ketchup with homemade mayo...it's great as a burger sauce. :)

jtandi, can you please explain how you cook this "hash"? I mean basic, I have not a clue if you cut the bacon into bits, or finely chop the onion, or it's left in rings or what. Plus the sweet potato; do you stem it or roast it, or are you saying you cube it raw and fry it? If so, what do you fry it in? Told you I wanted a blow by blow account....! hope okay and thanks!

no problem!!! I take about 5 slices of bacon, dice it pretty small, dice 1/2 medium to large onion, put those into my pan (you need a big pan). I let the bacon start to cook and the onions start to get translucent so there's bacon grease at the bottom, I use 2 large or 3 medium sweet potatoes and dice those as well (I've found that I like them diced small otherwise it's too hard to get them to cook completely, I also like it when it turns slightly to "mash" so small is better), put them in the pan and stir around so bacon grease can start to coat them. I put a lid on the pan so the sweet potatoes can cook (this is important because there is nothing more frustrating than doing all this and ending up with raw sweet potatoes!) until the potatoes are close to done (depending on the size this can be a while. I usually am chasing my kids around and telling them to sit down). once the potatoes are closer to being done I take the lid off. if you leave it on too long you get more of a mash...which is totally yum too. I like to let them cook until some of it gets a little dark on some sides so I keep cooking it and stirring it around occasionally. salt and pepper well throughout. depending on my mood I might add more bacon or onions, cook longer or shorter, smaller or larger cubes. I leave the skin on my sweet potatoes, too.

I always make my eggs sunny side up and put them right on the hash, break the yolks and mix it up...ok...NOW I HAVE TO GO MAKE BREAKFAST. this is making me too hungry! :) I hope that helps!

• 1 year later...

Archived